British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-02-18, 06:43 PM

Default Three Unknown Buttons?

Hi all,

I have spent several minutes trying to find id's for these three dug buttons but haven't been able to find anything! First up is a basic looking button with N.G initials and S.FIRMIN back mark. My guess is a garrison unit button with a date of around 1800 from the back mark but could be wrong! Next up I have a gold gilt Victorian naval button that I'm guessing might have something to do with volunteers perhaps? Pre 1875 FIRMIN & SONS back mark on it. Finally another gilt button with bugle / crossed arrows and what look like JJA or SJA monogram initials perhaps. Back mark on this one is PRIOR OXFORD which isn't one I've come across before. Any help on these is appreciated and all to be sold if I can figure out what they are!

Thanks,

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1270014.jpg (61.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg P1270018.jpg (52.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1270028.jpg (43.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg P1270030.jpg (46.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg P1270096.jpg (43.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg P1270098.jpg (37.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by A140_Artefacts; 17-02-18 at 06:51 PM.
Old 18-02-18, 10:50 AM

Could the V in the naval button possibly be for Victualling?

GTB
Old 18-02-18, 04:01 PM

Hello Phil

Can't offer much information I'm afraid but at least this will 'bump' your query back to the top!

The 'N G' could be for North Gloucestershire and a militia button but if so it is not one that appears in Howard Ripley's book on that subject.

The 'S Firmin' backmark would suggest an early button(late 1790s/early1800s as you suggested) but it could be for any early volunteer unit with the initials 'N G' - 'North G...', 'New G....' and so on. Knowing where it was found might provide you with a clue. Obviously it might not even be military.

The bugle/crossed arrows/initial button could be for a rifle volunteer unit (again I can't identify it) but it could possibly be a hunt button or even a livery button. I realise it is a 'mounted' design so slightly out of the ordinary for a hunt/livery button but they have to be possibilities.

J Prior of Oxford was around in the late 19th century at least. The only military button I have noted with that backmark was on one for the Oxford University Rifle Volunteers, so most likely 1860s/1880s. I suspect he was a local tailor rather than a button maker!

Roger
Old 20-02-18, 09:46 PM

For anyone who is interested I've been given an id for the naval button and it's an Australian button of the Victorian Naval Forces.
Old 29-05-19, 08:51 PM

Default Relics

Hi Phil, I have just come across your picture of 70 buttons you found,i know it was a while back but are you selling any buttons now,would like to know if you have any available thanks Mike c
Old 29-05-19, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike c View Post
Hi Phil, I have just come across your picture of 70 buttons you found,i know it was a while back but are you selling any buttons now,would like to know if you have any available thanks Mike c
He was last active on this forum mid February. He did not respond to PMs.
He is no longer selling on e-bay.

Last edited by btns; 29-05-19 at 10:39 PM. Reason: typo