British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-11-14, 12:47 PM

Default East Yorkshire Cyclist Bn ?

Could I please have your thoughts on this East Yorkshire badge. It was purchases as a Cyclist Bn badge but it is clearly a bi metal badge that has been blackened. Would this have been the case or not, had expected an all brass one blackened.
Thanks
Myles

DSCF2764.jpg

DSCF2765.jpg

DSCF2766.jpg
Old 15-11-14, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

I think it is fair to say that it was not originally made to fulfill a Cyclist Bn contract. A seller might try and convince you that it was subsequently adapted by the bn. If I had bought it and it cost more than a bimetal one then I would return it.
Old 15-11-14, 04:05 PM

Thanks for that Alan.
As there are no other comments, it looks like it is going back for a refund.
Would anyone please show me what I should be looking for, as not having much luck so far with these blackened badges.

Thanks very much
Myles
Old 15-11-14, 04:46 PM

Hi Myles Rod Flood MINDEN MILITARIA has 1 for sale He is one of the good guys
If you go to T.A on his site you will find it Rod is not always the cheapest but 100% good I have known him for apprx 40yrs
Old 15-11-14, 05:54 PM

Myles,
i would not be too quick to discard the badge. The cyclists certainly wore a blackened badge but the die most often used was the standard pattern meaning the badge face was in 2 parts. The sunburst/ scroll with the central rose as a separate piece constructed as regular badges. The vast majority of cyclist badges i have seen had a brass rose to the centre but i believe genuine badges do exist with a wm rose over painted. I am not convinced that your example is one of these but it is worth having it checked out. It is not uncommon to have blackened badges deliberately rubbed to reveal the high points of the metal underneath. In this case it would reveal a brass (or red) rose which would not go down too well in Yorkshire.
Cheers, Dave
Old 15-11-14, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately as the last badge was issued in WW1, there have been 100 years of re-painting, fakery, blacking both all brass economy and bi-metal badges to act as gap fillers and other reasons so we can never truly know which are genuine.
Old 15-11-14, 06:22 PM

Cool Provenance

I can well understand the problem as to a badge being 100% genuine in this case, as Alan says, there have been 100 years to play around with badges of this ilk.

This is why I think it is important if a group of medals and badge related bits turn up not to sell them off individually but keep them together.

If a pair of medals to the East Yorks turned up with a blackened brass cap badge it would pay the owner to keep the medals with the badge at least giving some provenance to the badge even if medals were of no interest.

Rob
Old 15-11-14, 06:47 PM
Major Dundee

Wondered who would get caught with this one from SAMNSTEE or there other ebay user name SAMWOODWOODSAM.

The old Grandfather was a watchmaker/ pawn dealer and this is the stuff he has aquired over the years.

Definitely one to AVOID.

Paul.
Old 15-11-14, 07:07 PM

Cool Provenance

Sorry Paul,

Is this post in the right section?

Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 15-11-14 at 10:21 PM.
Old 15-11-14, 07:18 PM

Paul the badge you mentioned was a good 1 sold 11/11 for 24.89 But all the remarks in Alan O post will apply [not saying in was a genuine period badge]
David
Old 15-11-14, 10:54 PM
Major Dundee

Hi Gents

I watched the sale and this was the badge sold.
Its a lovely WW1 badge but as stated it has a white rose and this could be seen and another thing that struck me was the photo, it was taken far back from the badge so o had yo blow iy up to see it properly were as other items had very clear photos (something rang not right)
and the paint didn't look right.

Plus previous experience.

Best wishes

Paul.
Old 16-11-14, 09:18 AM

Hi Paul I had very clear photo,s of front and back very nice crimp mark, Same as you based on 40 yrs experience -points in my 1st post still apply You could not see if they was a brazing hole under the rose I always associate this with early period badges [large general collection all economy ww1 as Andy list all plastic as k.k etc