British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-14, 05:13 PM

Default Curry my yoghurt

I'm not inclined to introduce any Irish political discussion but I have to say I have cried with laughter at this one.

Other NI members and those from ROI may well have seen this on the news, the Nolan Show or indeed any other broadcasts over the past week. In the most innocent way now the phrase has entered parlance in our house with the memsahib and I happily shouting "Curry my yoghurt" at each other at opportune moments.

I know many British folk think we're all mad over here and this goes a long way to proving it but at least this time it's funny!
Old 15-11-14, 12:34 PM

good uld gregory,,,always up for a laugh
Old 15-11-14, 01:49 PM

I think this is wasted on our friends across the shuck!
Eddie
Old 15-11-14, 01:55 PM

Fortunately there's nothing more important happening in NI than a politician making a joke which is immediately seen as offensive by the "I'm an offense" brigade. good on him for being normallish.
Old 15-11-14, 02:18 PM

Okay, so I got as far as finding out that the "yoghurt" thing is mocking an Irish phrase: ""go raibh maith agat, Ceann Comhairle".

What does it mean?
Old 15-11-14, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
Okay, so I got as far as finding out that the "yoghurt" thing is mocking an Irish phrase: ""go raibh maith agat, Ceann Comhairle".

What does it mean?
It's just one of the things which is a little irritating in the commons at the moment. If a SF member is invited to speak he or she says this to the speaker in emulation of what happens in the Dail in Dublin. Of course the Unionists see this as "Irishing Up" the commons so on this occasion an MLA chose to make fun of it. Without deference to either side I found it so funny that I laughed until I nearly choked and I've continued laughing all week.

You don't see the Nolan Show in GB but it's a regular weekly TV thing here as well as a weekday morning radio broadcast. The author of the show is great crack and he repeated the thing ad nauseum the other night in such a way that it became even funnier. All the while the was a SF MLA sat with him who was spitting feathers and who has now lodged a complaint to the ombudsman.

I'm desperately trying to think of a parallel in GB politics but I can't. Maybe somebody else?

Of course I have to admit a certain satisfaction in seeing SF unhappy but that isn't what made it funny.
Old 15-11-14, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post

What does it mean?
BWEF,
That is what makes it funny! The main people that speak that language in Northern Ireland are Sinn Fein and the Leprechauns, and both understand English perfectly well.
When politician Gregory Campbell said "Curry my yogart" we did not know that he was not speaking Irish untill Sinn fein complained that he was taking the micky out of them.
Eddie
Old 15-11-14, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
BWEF,
That is what makes it funny! The main people that speak that language in Northern Ireland are Sinn Fein and the Leprechauns, and both understand English perfectly well.
When politician Gregory Campbell said "Curry my yogart" we did not know that he was not speaking Irish untill Sinn fein complained that he was taking the micky out of them.
Eddie
What Gregory Campbell has done in a sleekit and funny way is to draw public attention to the creeping Irishness SF are guilty of. He has shown the stupidity of speaking Irish in the NI commons. Nolan was also able to highlight the fact that £250,000 pa is spent in the assembly translating all documents into Irish when we have no native Irish speakers in the Province.

There was also a guy on Nolan who is a professor of Irish or something and he said him and his friends do this all the time, making up English sentences in a parody of Irish.
Old 15-11-14, 04:44 PM

You really don't want to know what we're up against in our neck of the woods with those idiots in Plaid Cymru and our friends in Cymdeithas yr Iaith.
I say this as a father who has two children in Welsh medium education by choice and who are fully bilingual.
However, whilst I will always defend the right of those who wish to speak Welsh and do my bit help the language survive and thrive (I even speak a smattering myself), there are limits and common sense must prevail over the nationalist language fanatics who seek to force bilingualism down everyone's throat.
Hwyl fawr,
Kevin
Old 15-11-14, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41st View Post
You really don't want to know what we're up against in our neck of the woods with those idiots in Plaid Cymru and our friends in Cymdeithas yr Iaith.
I say this as a father who has two children in Welsh medium education by choice and who are fully bilingual.
However, whilst I will always defend the right of those who wish to speak Welsh and do my bit help the language survive and thrive (I even speak a smattering myself), there are limits and common sense must prevail over the nationalist language fanatics who seek to force bilingualism down everyone's throat.
Hwyl fawr,
Kevin
Can I ask you though - do you genuinely have communities who only speak Welsh and don't use English in their day to day goings on?

I certainly don't believe Ireland has any communities who only speak Irish. I believe it's all for show.
Old 15-11-14, 07:04 PM

[QUOTE=Hussar100
I certainly don't believe Ireland has any communities who only speak Irish. I believe it's all for show.[/QUOTE]

Hussar100,
There are areas of Ireland where Irish is the spoken language. These are in the west of Kerry, Connamara, Mayo and Donegal and are called the Gaeltacht. Even the road signs are in Irish. However the locals speak English as a second language.
I respect their right to practice their traditions. However I do not appreciate anyone trying to force their language and culture on Northern Ireland.
Eddie
Old 15-11-14, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Hussar100,
There are areas of Ireland where Irish is the spoken language. These are in the west of Kerry, Connamara, Mayo and Donegal and are called the Gaeltacht. Even the road signs are in Irish. However the locals speak English as a second language.
I respect their right to practice their traditions. However I do not appreciate anyone trying to force their language and culture on Northern Ireland.
Eddie
I've been to several of the Gaeilge areas both on business and on holiday and I've formed the opinion they speak English as a first language and Irish for the tourists and anyone bearing a huge grant cheque.
Old 18-11-14, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
I've been to several of the Gaeilge areas both on business and on holiday and I've formed the opinion they speak English as a first language and Irish for the tourists and anyone bearing a huge grant cheque.
So,from that,we can safely deduce that you are not really in a position to comment on the status of the Irish language or its usage on the island of Ireland.

Everybody has an opinion but I take it you've never been to Connemara or the Aran Islands thenmost people are bilingual(speak 2 languages) in those areas.Indeed my children speak Irish fluently, no grant for us though.Irish speaking schools are oversubscribed in the Republic, more and more people want to attend them, academically they usually outperform other schools.

BTW, Cambell has'nt got a humorous bone in his body,unless his dour and petulant demeanor are hiding something I cannot see his comments were meant to be an insult cloaked as humour, but then,thats only my opinion
Old 18-11-14, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connaught View Post
So,from that,we can safely deduce that you are not really in a position to comment on the status of the Irish language or its usage on the island of Ireland.

Everybody has an opinion but I take it you've never been to Connemara or the Aran Islands thenmost people are bilingual(speak 2 languages) in those areas.Indeed my children speak Irish fluently, no grant for us though.Irish speaking schools are oversubscribed in the Republic, more and more people want to attend them, academically they usually outperform other schools.

BTW, Cambell has'nt got a humorous bone in his body,unless his dour and petulant demeanor are hiding something I cannot see his comments were meant to be an insult cloaked as humour, but then,thats only my opinion
I have been to Connemara - many times. I deliberately went to an Irish speaking bar one night to try and give my wife a treat, hearing people speaking Irish in a natural environment. Nope - all in English. Same in the Gaeltacht in Donegal.

I can see you're not happy with me and I'm sorry my opinion doesn't concur with yours but my opinion has been formed over many years travelling the island, not the mutterings of some idiot who's had a weekend in Dublin. And I would like it noted that there isn't a sectarian bone in my body.

I note your opinion of Campbell. I don't have one. He's nothing to do with me. He doesn't represent me or anyone even close to me, plus he's DUP and the Devil will have frost on his backside before I would vote for that lot.
Old 18-11-14, 08:14 PM

Nothing wrong with an opinion but I am pointing out that I am in a better position to offer a more informed opinion( I live beside connemara), a few weekends around the south may not have put you in the best position to comment on the Irish language IMO.
I know the locals do not just perform for the "tourists" on command,the language is used on a daily basis in connemara but not by everyone, address and engage with them in Irish and you will see the difference.

My comment on Campbell was formed from observing him through the years, and was not just formed recently, he's not my cup of tea, Arlene Foster on the other hand is an able politician and would be an asset to any party