British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-11-14, 12:40 PM
Former Member

Default One for the KOYLI (Yorkshire) Collectors?

I've had this badge for many years and wondered why it was more ornately decorated than the standard KOYLI Bim OR's badge, with flourishes rather than bands? Although it is the pattern shown in K&K (KK670). The larger "Smasher" badge has this design and also the officers badges. The plain banded version is far more common, perhaps an NCOs badge or just simply a makers variation?

Your thoughts please?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20 Nov 14 080.jpg (74.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 20 Nov 14 081.jpg (82.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20 Nov 14 079.jpg (58.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20 Nov 14 082.jpg (69.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20 Nov 14 083.jpg (71.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20 Nov 14 084.jpg (84.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 20-11-14, 01:00 PM

Thanks for posting Andy.

I didn't get the chance to check mine, and I'm geographically inconvenienced at the moment - will look at the weekend.

Not seen before, like you say, the smasher & officers have this pattern, and also several variants there-of.

Like you say - could just be makers variation or NCOs badge. I'd also go for an early version of the cap badge, before deciding that they needed to differentiate more?

I'll ask next time I'm at the museum.

One thing I will say - the rose is upside down

cheers for now,

Andy C
Old 21-11-14, 12:38 PM

I think that AndyC is correct. The more ornate badges are officers and 'staff sergeants' (i.e. battalion staff) pattern. Shown as such in Dress Regulations (officers) 1900.
Old 21-11-14, 10:09 PM
guest123a

I have a couple of the more ornate standard cap badge sized badges on sliders (vertical shanks for the purists), either as already mentioned they could possibly be for SNCO's but there again as it was the smallest Infantry cap badge one would need to get very close to the wearer to make out the additional markings.

Possibly as they are of the same pattern as the larger Smasher badges they are actually fairly early examples of the smaller cap badge, subsequently the design being simplified as time passed.

I really don't know and I don't think Minden House (Regimental Museum) will know either as they did not know a lot when I was an SPSI to the East and West Riding Regiment whom were based there.

Regards,
Marcus