British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-11-14, 11:07 AM

Default Male Sphinx

Large die-struck Sphinx (no boobs) in silver plate 70 x 50mm.
Fittings are 4 silver rings around the periphery.
Probably a band pouch or a sash badge, but which Rgt used a male Sphinx?

Old 15-11-14, 11:16 AM

Lincolnshire Regt?
Regards
Paul
Old 15-11-14, 11:22 AM

hi, Gordon highlanders, but with an asp on the forehead,gloucestershire have worn both,swb,lancashire fusiliers,
Old 15-11-14, 03:31 PM

I think it's a Black Watch piper's badge.

One of the things to look for is the position of the tail. In this case it rules out the Glosters, Staffs and Lincs.
Old 15-11-14, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
I think it's a Black Watch piper's badge.

One of the things to look for is the position of the tail. In this case it rules out the Glosters, Staffs and Lincs.
The Black Watch seem to have used a female Sphinx. Unfortunately, the gender and style of Sphinxes was not consistently followed by all regiments, although in their defence this was in part because of efforts by financiers to 'standardise' insignia where possible, which forced some units to change the pattern used at various times, sometimes changing gender. The Lincolnshire Regt male Sphinx was unusual in that it always had a distinctive, full length 'mantle', so I am fairly sure it is not from them.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 15-11-14 at 07:35 PM.
Old 15-11-14, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
The Black Watch seem to have used a female Sphinx. Unfortunately, the gender and style of Sphinxes was not consistently followed by all regiments, although in their defence this was in part because of efforts by financiers to 'standardise' insignia where possible, which forced some units to change the pattern used at various times. The Lincolnshire Regt Sphinx was unusual in that it always had a distinctive, full length 'mantle', so I am fairly sure it is not from them.
This one seems to be male but that's an officers badge.
Old 15-11-14, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
This one seems to be male but that's an officers badge.
It could be, but it's difficult to be sure. Although the teats are not as apparent as some, the chest does protrude a lot if you compare it with the OPs photo and/or the Lincoln's 'male' Sphinx. The various Sphinxes are notoriously difficult because they changed so much.
Old 15-11-14, 08:15 PM

The Regiments who took part in evicting Napolean's French Army out of Egypt by 1801 who where awarded the use of the Sphinx (not all used it in their Cap Badge) as a battle honour, did not know at the time wether the Sphinx was male or female as it was still mostly buried in sand at that period before excavation so a bit of squaddie artistic licence was took in adorning it with breasts in their badges etc apart from the Lincolnshire's whom seem to have predominatley preferred the male type throughout their history
Paul
Old 15-11-14, 09:12 PM

Edwards 'Regimental Badges': As to the type of Sphinx that would be appropriate to commemorate a campaign in Egypt, one would have thought that an Egyptian Sphinx would be used. In this case not so. The distinctive points of an Egyptian Sphinx are that it is exlusively male, has a beard and its tail lies on its back, as opposed to pointing up over its back. The Sphinx of Thotmes III at Cairo is a correct Egyptian type: it had a beard originally but that has been worn away. The Sphinxes flanking Cleopatra's Needle on the Thames Embankment, London, are practically identical with that of Thotmes III, except that they have no beard.
In view of the above, none of the Sphinxes borne on the Colours or the badges of British regiments is correct, for none has a beard, a number are obviously female as shown by their breasts, and have the tail pointing up over the back.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 16-11-14, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Edwards 'Regimental Badges': As to the type of Sphinx that would be appropriate to commemorate a campaign in Egypt, one would have thought that an Egyptian Sphinx would be used. In this case not so. The distinctive points of an Egyptian Sphinx are that it is exlusively male, has a beard and its tail lies on its back, as opposed to pointing up over its back. The Sphinx of Thotmes III at Cairo is a correct Egyptian type: it had a beard originally but that has been worn away. The Sphinxes flanking Cleopatra's Needle on the Thames Embankment, London, are practically identical with that of Thotmes III, except that they have no beard.
In view of the above, none of the Sphinxes borne on the Colours or the badges of British regiments is correct, for none has a beard, a number are obviously female as shown by their breasts, and have the tail pointing up over the back.

Rgds, Thomas.
I fully agree. Some of the Sphinxes used in British Army badging are of the types known as "French" or "Greek" as well as the more familiar Egyptian.

Could I take issue with you though? The Sphinx as most of us know it is actually female, although it has a beard. The beard was a sign of status in ancient Egypt. Boy and women Pharaohs wore a false one.
Old 16-11-14, 06:27 PM

No issue with me at all, I just quoted Edwards. Interesting to hear more about sphinxes though. A good reason for more research.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 16-11-14, 08:40 PM

Default males

these are well known copies of something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0012.jpg (77.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 16-11-14, 08:42 PM

Default M/F

more types,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0014.jpg (93.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0013.jpg (74.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 17-11-14, 04:47 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys, I was hoping it was Black Watch but probably wishfull thinking.
My large badge below cast brass silver plated (80% rubbed) is exactly the same size, I believe this to be a Drum Majors sash badge possibly BW? Fittings have been removed from the reverse.
Below that a silver plated die-struck BW DMs bonnet badge from the 1970s, two long screw posts to the reverse.