British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-11-14, 10:53 AM

Default 5th Cameronians Cap Badge

hi all,
I am interested in a 5th Cameronians cap badge of WW1 vintage. Looking in my Gaylor he states that the "5th Battalion wore the regular pattern badge, subsequently smaller, and with a numeral 5 between the bugle strings, a badge previously worn by the 5th VB between 1887 and 1897. First question is what does he mean by "subsequently smaller"? Other battalions ORs wore the medium size and Sgts the larger, how does this fit with the 5th?
Bloomer in Scottish Regimental Badges....... Has on page 19 a 2nd volunteer glengarry badge of 1887 is this the badge but with a 5 replacing the 2?
I noticed someone purported to have a 5th WW1 badge and it had a slider, the image was too bad to make out detail. Did Cameronians have sliders as the construction must have been difficult?
Lastly, does "broad leaves" occur on OR as well as Sgt badges and is it impossible to tell if a badge is of WW1 vintage?

Hope I have made myself clear.

Bryan
Old 15-11-14, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advsmt View Post
hi all,
I am interested in a 5th Cameronians cap badge of WW1 vintage. Looking in my Gaylor he states that the "5th Battalion wore the regular pattern badge, subsequently smaller, and with a numeral 5 between the bugle strings, a badge previously worn by the 5th VB between 1887 and 1897. First question is what does he mean by "subsequently smaller"? Other battalions ORs wore the medium size and Sgts the larger, how does this fit with the 5th?
Bloomer in Scottish Regimental Badges....... Has on page 19 a 2nd volunteer glengarry badge of 1887 is this the badge but with a 5 replacing the 2?
I noticed someone purported to have a 5th WW1 badge and it had a slider, the image was too bad to make out detail. Did Cameronians have sliders as the construction must have been difficult?
Lastly, does "broad leaves" occur on OR as well as Sgt badges and is it impossible to tell if a badge is of WW1 vintage?

Hope I have made myself clear.

Bryan
Bryan,
The WM OR's 5th Cameronians badge you mentioned was probably best described as "substantially" smaller than those worn on the Glengarry.
It was in deed fitted with a slider,and was worn on a cap similar to the Scots Guards,but instead of red & white dicing ,it appears to be on a grey & white cap band.
confusingly though,I have seen a photo of an officer of the 5th battalion wearing a larger badge type badge on the same style cap .
With the Sgt's badges the central Star, or Mullet is larger than normal,and the badge is found in both cast & die struck WM.
Alan
Old 15-11-14, 09:20 PM

Here are a couple of photos of the 5th Bn badge you mentioned,100% genuine,as I've yet to see this badge copied or faked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5th cam 1.jpg (85.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 5th can 3.jpg (96.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 5th cam 5.jpg (66.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 16-11-14, 06:39 AM

Thank you very much for the info and pictures. I guess this is a rare badge as the battalion existed for less than 2 years before merging with the 6th when I presume the badge discontinued?
Do you think ORs and SNCOs all wore the same badge?

Again thank you.

Bryan
Old 16-11-14, 06:43 AM

Sorry Alan you answered the OR/sgt size question. Long night!

Bryan