British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Light Horse and Armoured (RAAC)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-05-08, 10:28 AM

Default Hat Badges of the Royal Australian Armoured Corps - 1953 to 60

8/13th Victorian Mounted Rifles hat badge

3/9th South Australian Mounted Rifles hat badge

10th Western Australian Mounted Infantry hat badge

10th Light Horse hat badge

Old 06-06-08, 08:18 PM

Default 10 Wami

The title of West Australian Mounted Infantry was phased out in 1956, and the title 10th Light Horse reverted to.

I joined 10LH in January 1957, at which time the WAMI badge was still in use, and continued so for a few years until the introduction of a newly designed badge for 10th Light horse, as shown in your photographs. Suggestions from members of the regiment having been invited for the design.

The beret badge and collar dogs I was issued with in 1957 was WAMI with Kings Crown, and I did not know a version of the badge with Queens Crown existed.

I still have in my collection the KC badge that was issued to me, and now I see I must look for one with a QC to include in my collection.

Thanks for the update.

Last edited by johnG; 07-06-08 at 02:50 AM. Reason: amendment to wording
Old 08-06-08, 12:48 AM

Hi John,

The QC version of the 10 WAMI badge is quite scarce - very possible it was only issued after the KC version ran out of stock and thus may not have been around for too long. I certainly have seen more KC than QC versions around.

Mick
Old 08-06-08, 12:52 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Hi Mick
Can you tell me how many Light Horse Regiments the Australian Army have had over the years, Many I would say, Too many to name on this forum? Ray
Old 08-06-08, 04:27 AM

Hi Ray,

To answer you question - LOTS!

I have a list of them here though - go through the menu on the left hand side.

http://www.australian-armour.com/ALH.html

Mick
Old 08-06-08, 05:23 AM

Default Wami

Thanks for that information Mick. I will look out for a QC WAMI badge, along with a 25LH badge, which is also hiogh on my list of 'wants'

Regards,

John
Old 08-06-08, 05:43 AM

Hi John,

The 25th LH is another extremely hard badge to find - legit badges easily go for over $500 and there are quite a few fakes around as well.

Mick
Old 08-06-08, 08:14 AM

Default 10 Lh

Thanks again Mick. I fear I have little chance of a genuine 25LH badge, and will be satisfied with a copy if one comes my way, just to fill in its spot in the history of 10LH.

In the same context I have just purchased (awaitind delivery) of a copy of the cap badge of 25 Machine Gun Battalion which existed 1939-1942, although with the several changes of title of WAMI/10LH at that time I am not clear in my mind how, oe even if they have much connection with 10LH. I guess depiction of the black swan of Western Australia on the badge was enough to get me in.

I would be glad of your advice as to it being correct or incorrect to rank the 25th Machine Gun Battalion with 10 WAMI/10LH. Was 25 MG another of the names adopted for a few years?

Many thanks,

John
Old 08-06-08, 08:33 AM

Hi John,

The 25th Light Horse (Machine Gun) Regiment was a Light Horse militia unit in Western Australia. Formed in 1939, it was eventually disbanded in 1942.

I don't believe there is any connection to the 10th WAMI/ 10th Light Horse except that they were both Western Australian Light Horse units - the Black Swan is the emblem of WA and isn't specific to the 10th Light Horse.

I've looked in some books and there is no connection that I can see - though the 25th Light Horse Regiment was the sole Pre WW1 WA Light Horse unit. The 25th MG LH regiment may have been issued the numerals 25 as part of its title because of that.

Mick