British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-09, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Gents,
question time for all you staybrite/anodised alluminium buffs. Anyone got any idea what the attached is? It is totally anodised alluminium and with a 3-dimentional high relief. I have been told it may be a senior NCO's cap badge for the Seaforth Highlanders, but I have never encountered such a beast in anodised alluminium before. It has a slider marked J R GAUNT LONDON. The images are not great I know, but should give you an idea, especially if you recognise it.

Thanks chaps, regards all

Bess

Attachment 13048

Attachment 13049

Attachment 13050
Hi Bess,

Looks authentic but no idea what it is.

Regards

Chris
Old 23-03-09, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Attachment 13054

Attachment 13056

Attachment 13057

Attachment 13058

Attachment 13061

Attachment 13062

Gents,
For information some more unusual anodised examples. The RTR is gold and is GAUNT marked and has clearly been worn, as has the silver Royal Scots and the silver Intelligence Corps.

Chris, I think I've already sent you these plus others of this ilk.

Regards all

Bess
Thanks Bess,

I'll sort these out on the weekend too.

Regards

Chris
Old 23-03-09, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Gents,
question time for all you staybrite/anodised alluminium buffs. Anyone got any idea what the attached is? It is totally anodised alluminium and with a 3-dimentional high relief. I have been told it may be a senior NCO's cap badge for the Seaforth Highlanders, but I have never encountered such a beast in anodised alluminium before. It has a slider marked J R GAUNT LONDON. The images are not great I know, but should give you an idea, especially if you recognise it.

Thanks chaps, regards all

Bess

Attachment 13048

Attachment 13049

Attachment 13050
hi Bess, with the ducal coronet it looks more like a Gordon Highlanders badge, but without the wreath of ivy and scroll.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 23-03-09, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
hi Bess, with the ducal coronet it looks more like a Gordon Highlanders badge, but without the wreath of ivy and scroll.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Hi Fougasse,
The stag and Coronet definately appear like that from their badge true, there has never been a wreath on it, its in a 3-dimentional relief and has the slider. No idea what it actually is though.

Thanks mate

Bess
Old 23-03-09, 11:15 PM

Ive never come across anything like this before,the sporran badge is similar but has scrolls attached.
The stags head and coronet would indicate Gordon Highlanders.
3d relief would indicate senior nco as Sgts and above wore the "staff badge" rather than the flat version.

Its the slider that throws me out,sporran or similar would have been lugged as would a belt badge.Slider suggests beret or hat rather than TOS or glengarry.Who would have worn a beret within the regiment ?attacehed personnel,who would have worn their own capbadge.
Could it be an affiliated regiment,cadet badge ?
Old 24-03-09, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Ive never come across anything like this before,the sporran badge is similar but has scrolls attached.
The stags head and coronet would indicate Gordon Highlanders.
3d relief would indicate senior nco as Sgts and above wore the "staff badge" rather than the flat version.

Its the slider that throws me out,sporran or similar would have been lugged as would a belt badge.Slider suggests beret or hat rather than TOS or glengarry.Who would have worn a beret within the regiment ?attacehed personnel,who would have worn their own capbadge.
Could it be an affiliated regiment,cadet badge ?
Hi Mike,
I've been through similar thought processes myself, I just cant find a definitive answer. The slider is 100% genuine and the whole thing is anodised which is really odd. One would suspect its a Gordon Highlanders 'device' of some sort but what . . . . . ? I was tols Seaforth Highlanders but I'm not so sure. I have never seen anything like it before. Any other suggestions gents? Cadets, maybe also . . . . or Candian perhaps?

Thanks again Mike

Regards all

Bess
Old 25-03-09, 07:07 PM

Hi Bess,the stags head is the thing that shouts "Gordons" to me,similar to the hat badge without the scrolls.The Seaforth stags head is smaller and less upright.
Old 27-03-09, 06:37 AM

Hi Guys,

Some new badges on the pages:

CO7B - Intelligence Corp(Silver)

C33C - Royal Tank Regiment (Gold)

SU4B - Royal Marines (Black)

SU8 - Royal Marines Band - Plymouth Division (Queens Crown - Three Piece Badge)

SU9C - Special Air Service - Gold

I62B - Royal Scots - Silver

Few mistakes here.

Regards

Chris
Old 09-04-09, 08:51 PM

Hi Guys,

New Royal Norfolk Regt added.

Regards

Chris
Old 15-04-09, 07:44 AM

Hi Guys,

The following badges have been removed from the web pages as I now consider them to be fake:

1. Highland Light Infantry - Kings Crown
2. Highland Light Infantry - Queens Crown
3. 5th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders
4. Highland Light Infantry (City of Glasgow Regiment) The Glasgow Highlanders
5. Royal Highland Fusiliers (Pipers)
6. Gordon Highlanders ('BY DAND' Spelt As Two Words)

The Highland Light Infantry (KC) has been replaced with an almost solid backed version.

Another badge known to be on a sealed pattern card (not confirmed as issued yet) is:

Highland Light Infantry (City of Glasgow Regiment) The Glasgow Highlanders

As for the:

Highland Light Infantry - Queens Crown
5th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders
Royal Highland Fusiliers (Pipers)
Gordon Highlanders ('BY DAND' Spelt As Two Words)

it is my current belief belief that these are ALL fakes and were never made as authorised issue or even as unofficial commissions and that collectors should consider purchase of such items with extreme caution.

I am currently working with a number of forum members on this and will keep the forum posted as and when I have more information.

I will be starting a thread hopefully on the weekend re: reverse images of the four highlighted badges named above to see if members have any of them that show signs the manufacturing process of genuine anodised aluminium cap badges.

Regards

Chris
Old 15-04-09, 07:38 PM

The 5th battalion Seaforth was always dodgy,the btn was disbanded well before a/a badges were thought of.
Old 15-04-09, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

The re-raising of a Home Guard in the 1950s saw this badge being brought back into use. I think that the HG Bn still wore the old 4th/5th Bn Seaforths w/m badge as I doubt that they were the forefront of a/a badges.

Alan
Old 16-04-09, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The re-raising of a Home Guard in the 1950s saw this badge being brought back into use. I think that the HG Bn still wore the old 4th/5th Bn Seaforths w/m badge as I doubt that they were the forefront of a/a badges.

Alan
How long did it remain in existance for Alan ?
Old 16-04-09, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

The idea for them to be re-raised came in 1950. See http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/l...ome-guard-bill for the Parliamentary discussion.

It was still going in 1957 and I think (but may be wrong) it was wound up in 1958.
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/c...diture-1956-57
Alan
Old 16-04-09, 08:24 PM

Hi Guys,

If I get time this weekend I'll get a web page up of these dodgy badges and also ask for members to post examples of those with a different body style to see if some could be authentic.

Regards

Chris

Tags
anodised, staybrite