British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-06-10, 11:41 AM
LYPAO Boff

Default Army Medical Department 1869-78

I purchased an eBay "Lot" of badges the other day and in amongst the c1914 badges there was a small enamel red cross. I have been flicking through my new k&K Vol 1 Book and got to the "Last Shako: 1869 to 1878"...... the red cross belongs to :-

KK183: Vol.1, Page 107/108:- Army Medical Deprtment, in place of the Garter a rope circle in the centre of which a Red Cross in red enamel. All in Gilt (Fig. 183).

Red Cross = 21mm x 21mm, and is concave (rear).

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 04-06-10 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-07-10, 06:47 PM
LYPAO Boff

I have just found the helmet plate for sale on a website..... but its had some modification to it....

I dont think the loops are original and the face has had four holes punched in to fit the "bodge plate"?

The positions of the loops suggest that originally the holes for the enamel cross were there and they have simply filled the holes with solder for the loops?

KK& describe two "shanks" e/w mid-line on the garter strap (rope circle in this case)?

The *bodge plate", white metal circle and the painted cross is an addition (very poor)

OPINIONS WELCOME

Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 01-07-10 at 07:15 PM.
Old 18-07-10, 06:07 PM

Hi,
This second plate looks like K&K 1000 Army Medical Department and not 183 as marked. The centre piece looks like the centre piece of the later Medical Staff corps and Royal Army Medical Corps helmet plates with the e-w tabs cut off and soldered to the brass shako plate.

I have seen this particular badge for sale on a site and it has been there for over a hear already at quite a substancial price(£165). I initially saw this on ebay about 2-3 years ago at £25. One day before the closing day it had had no bids and before I could post a bid, the seller removed the item. I mailed him but he wanted over £100 for the item, so I left it.

Steven
Old 18-07-10, 07:28 PM
LYPAO Boff

Hi Steven

Yes your right about the Helmet plate.... I did a bit more research into it and found it as KK1000.

This same badge is up for sale from a scottish dealer for £95 on his website if your interested

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 25-07-10, 07:17 PM

Hi Griff,
Sorry for late response. Please give me the details and maybe I can start saving for Christmas
Old 25-07-10, 07:35 PM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
Hi Griff,
Sorry for late response. Please give me the details and maybe I can start saving for Christmas
You have a PM

Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 14-07-13, 07:15 AM

Hi Griff,
I saw anouther one of these red enamelled crosses and remembered your post. The badge was on a dealers site and part of a collection attributed to the Girls Life Brigade (Girls version of Boys Life Brigade). The badge in question is a first aid qualification badge.

Regards
Steven