British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-09-18, 02:28 PM

Default Time Capsule Served RNAS Twatt ,Orkney

A recent pick up which is a lovely time capsule collected by SF/X 2862 Petty Officer (A) Alwyn E Smith Royal Navy During his WW2 Service.Served at RNAS Twatt Orkney,RNAS Rattray and with 832 Royal Naval Air Squadron.It would seem Alwyn was with 832 Squadron on board the Aircraft Carrier HMS Victorious in 1942/43 when it served in the Pacific under the name USS Robin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RN1 001.jpg (69.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg RN2 001.jpg (72.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg RN3 001.jpg (51.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 14-09-18, 02:30 PM

More,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RN4 001.jpg (57.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg RN5 001.jpg (44.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg RN7777 001.jpg (57.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg HMS 7777 001.jpg (25.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 14-09-18, 02:33 PM

It's nice that you can put a name to the "collection".
I have a small bag containing some WWII German navy insignia but there's no name or other details on the bag so I don't know whether they were collected by a British or German sailor, whoever.
Old 14-09-18, 02:35 PM

All these items turned up in a Craven A Cigarette tin.Below rear of WW2 HMS Talley.Pictures are HMS Vicorious 1942 / 1943 in the Pacific as USS Robin,the Carrier that never was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear HMS 7777777 001.jpg (34.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg static1.squarespace.com.jpg (85.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg static1.squarespace.com 15.jpg (69.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg static1.squarespace.com 28.jpg (42.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg static1.squarespace.com 22.jpg (110.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 88v.jpg (34.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by bobbluesboy; 14-09-18 at 11:14 PM.
Old 14-09-18, 02:54 PM

More of HMS Victorious (USS Robin ) in the Pacific US Fleet 1942 / 1943.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg static1.squarespace.com 28.jpg (77.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 14-09-18, 03:02 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
It's nice that you can put a name to the "collection".
I have a small bag containing some WWII German navy insignia but there's no name or other details on the bag so I don't know whether they were collected by a British or German sailor, whoever.
Hi Leigh sad that no history came with it at all,love to know what these items have seen and what stories they could tell,all the best Bob.
Old 14-09-18, 04:04 PM

Great collection and nice to see the HMS tally positively identified as WW2 period.

It is hard to tell , but your tally looks to be of the style of the lot that was released from stores and turned up on the market in the early 1980's still in the boxes and wrapped in bundles. I was lucky enough to get one of these boxes, but sadly the original date has been obscured when they examined and resealed them in 1978. There has been a lot of argument about these tallies or ribbons as to when they where made, but if your tally is period and matches then that is a great leap forward.

Shown below is one of the boxes and one of the bundles that was contained within. I also show a bundle of post 1984 ribbons still sealed in the plastic bag above them. I have shown them on the forum before, but I made an error with my attachments and deleted them in error (sorry)

Last edited by Nozzer; 16-11-21 at 10:37 PM.
Old 14-09-18, 04:37 PM

When I was in the Army Cadets in the 70,s the Quartermaster told me that they had ration packs in the stores brought back from D-Day and they were still edible,the RN HMS tallies may be a similar story.The Original order placed in WW2 would have been huge and many of the tallies could have languished in the depot storehouses for decades.Certainly be interesting to know.When I was in the mob in the 80,s would have loved a trip to the Dockyard Stores in Pompey or Guzz to see what was properly in there.The SLOPS wagon could only carry so much but I remember buying badges as such but even though I was an OD and would buy say an officers beret badge,they never said no or asked me why.Happy days.

Last edited by bobbluesboy; 14-09-18 at 05:06 PM.
Old 14-09-18, 05:01 PM

I still have some field dressings, issued during NI tours in the 70's. All those I saw were WWII dated, the majority I came across were dated June 1944 - there must've been a big show on the go around that time..........
Old 14-09-18, 05:06 PM

I notice on the full box its says " Rayon ",I wonder if the WW2 Cap Tally is Silk or Rayon ? We should also remember that large stocks of these tallies had to be kept because in time of war they would have been issued straight away.I notice on the cap talley thread HMS Northella (HMS Soberton ) was mentioned .I was actually serving on HMS Soberton in 1982 when the Argentinians invaded the Falklands,it was a pretty surreal atmosphere as no one ever thought there would be a war and no one could really remember one from the Skipper down to me the lowest OD,me.We were off Scotland and were ordered to go to Hull.I transferred gear from the Soberton to the Northella,signalling flags and pennants,etc, and have the Ships Ensign (Flag) that was lowered as everything was transferred that day.I really wanted to go to the Falklands but as I was only 17 years old I was sent back to HMS Dryad ,DDOOOOHHHH,I very much fancied just stowing away and appearing after the Northella had left Ascension Island,what could they do,but 3 Badge Able Seaman Eck Napier (Top Bloke) talked me out of it.Happy Days

I have 2 more Time Capsule Groups,one to Able Seaman Jolley who served on HMS Bullolo and HMS Patroller in WW2 (massive collection including Coller and Deck Hockey Shirt and dotted RNVR South Africa Talley) and another to an AB who went to HMS Saker,the RN base in New York in WW2.I also have pre war dotted tallies for HMS King George V (WW1) and HMS Cairo lost when torpedoed off Bizerta in August 1942.
Old 15-09-18, 03:22 PM

Lovely pieces and a super name of an RN Air Station!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbluesboy View Post
A recent pick up which is a lovely time capsule collected by SF/X 2862 Petty Officer (A) Alwyn E Smith Royal Navy During his WW2 Service.Served at RNAS Twatt Orkney,RNAS Rattray and with 832 Royal Naval Air Squadron.It would seem Alwyn was with 832 Squadron on board the Aircraft Carrier HMS Victorious in 1942/43 when it served in the Pacific under the name USS Robin.