British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-02-17, 05:53 PM

Default Rank or Rate

Could someone tell me whether in WW2 Quartermaster was a rank or rate in the Royal Navy? And what would his duties have been (the question raised by a certificate of attendance on a two day course in AA HMGs for DEMS by a QM (as stated)? Thanks. Mike
Old 22-02-17, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Could someone tell me whether in WW2 Quartermaster was a rank or rate in the Royal Navy? And what would his duties have been (the question raised by a certificate of attendance on a two day course in AA HMGs for DEMS by a QM (as stated)? Thanks. Mike
There was a QMG rate, Mike - Quarter Master Gunner. I've not heard of a RN/RAN quartermaster rate. 'Stores' rates, Stores Victualing (a 'V' in as star worn on the right arm, and Stores Naval (an 'S' in a star worn on the right arm) had much the same role as army quartermasters.

Lawrence
Old 24-02-17, 07:58 PM

Hello Mike,

Th designation Quarter Master(Qr Mr or QM) in the RN (& other Empire/Commonwealth navies) of the timeframe you mention (2WW period) would have been the man's RATE - ie: his specialization or 'trade'.

Qr Mr had nothing to do with Stores or Victualling as it was in the Army.
A naval Qr Mr was chiefly involved with Seamanship duties - any thing to do with Seamanship. He was also usually a senior rating - ie: a PO or CPO (that would have been his RANK) & regularly took watches on the bridge steering the ship. He might have also been qualified in navigating (or assisting the Ship's Navigator) in his duties.

He also would have been an Instructor of Seamanship to junior ratings on board & likely would have had his own watch - ie: in charge of ship's watch on the Ships Watch & Quarter Bill.

A Qr Mr could also be qualified in Gunnery duties (as was your man), he could have qualified in one of the specialty gunnery ratings of the period - ie: Anti Aircraft rate, Layer rate, DEMS gunner rate etc.

As I am away from home at this time I am unable to include any photos of the rate badges he may have qualified in, as I don't have my data base with me, but I hope this helps you somewhat.....

Best.... Bryan