British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-09-17, 01:13 PM

Default Opinions on this raf pilot wing please!

Hello chaps,

I bought this wing a few years ago with a smal collection of badges all of which were original and had clearly been together for many years.

On revisiting this particular badge recently however, I questioned its authenticity.

I would very much appreciate some more opinions as to weather this is indeed a genuine wing or not.

The pop studs are a later addition, I might add.

Many thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0722.jpg (46.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0723.jpg (52.8 KB, 79 views)
Old 18-09-17, 02:52 PM

I like it, I think it's ok. I read a comment by a guy who was interviewed in a book about bomber command a few years ago that the issued wings were flat like that but they all went out and bought padded wings.
Cheers,
Alex

Last edited by Alex Rice; 19-09-17 at 06:04 AM.
Old 18-09-17, 03:40 PM

its fine mate..its real !! flat un-padded one
Old 19-09-17, 05:56 AM

Whilst I appreciate that most collectors here will only see and handle badges (without the uniforms they were originally attached to), I wonder if anyone has had any direct experience of finding a "wings sixpence"?

Even up to the present day, it remains a tradition that a 'lucky' silver sixpence is stitched behind the central wreath of RAF flying brevets. Presumably this was primarily to add shape/depth to the original flat badges, rather than originally being intended to confer any talismanic properties.

I'd be interested in finding-out whether this custom dates back to the RFC/ RNAS era (in a traditional Christmas pudding sort of classic sense) or, if it is just from the days of WW2 and the BoB.
Old 19-09-17, 10:45 AM

never heard of that, though i know of a lucky min horseshoe that was found behind a wing .
cheers
steve
Old 19-09-17, 02:16 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I've got original flat type wings in my collection but this one struck me as different. The shape of the wing is much more flat along the bottom edge and the wreath is a much more muted colour than the other examples I have.

But the general consensus seems to be that it's ok!

Thanks,
Old 19-09-17, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carruthers View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I've got original flat type wings in my collection but this one struck me as different. The shape of the wing is much more flat along the bottom edge and the wreath is a much more muted colour than the other examples I have.

But the general consensus seems to be that it's ok!

Thanks,
I agree, it is a slightly different shape and I thought maybe even possibly theatre made, though not necessarily, there seem to have been a lot of makers. Also, the wings don't appear quite symmetrical, the right hand one seems slightly shorter.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 19-09-17, 04:16 PM

i have a few like that, just hand made...
Old 05-10-17, 12:55 PM

Yes original. I am certain it's a Canadian made pattern awarded to RAF pilots on wings parade. Graduation day of a BCATP pilot.
Old 05-10-17, 01:00 PM

Default Sixpence behind a wing

Yes I have an AG wing that you can clearly see the indent from the coin. Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Whilst I appreciate that most collectors here will only see and handle badges (without the uniforms they were originally attached to), I wonder if anyone has had any direct experience of finding a "wings sixpence"?

Even up to the present day, it remains a tradition that a 'lucky' silver sixpence is stitched behind the central wreath of RAF flying brevets. Presumably this was primarily to add shape/depth to the original flat badges, rather than originally being intended to confer any talismanic properties.

I'd be interested in finding-out whether this custom dates back to the RFC/ RNAS era (in a traditional Christmas pudding sort of classic sense) or, if it is just from the days of WW2 and the BoB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0830.jpg (118.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 05-10-17, 01:04 PM

Default Ag wing

Here is another picture of it

Quote:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0829.jpg (118.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-10-17, 01:12 PM

Looks close to yours. Found on the internet
Quote:
Originally Posted by carruthers View Post
Hello chaps,

I bought this wing a few years ago with a smal collection of badges all of which were original and had clearly been together for many years.

On revisiting this particular badge recently however, I questioned its authenticity.

I would very much appreciate some more opinions as to weather this is indeed a genuine wing or not.

The pop studs are a later addition, I might add.

Many thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2769.jpg (37.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-10-17, 09:55 AM

Great find! Thanks very much Wingnut!
Old 09-10-17, 03:19 PM

Quote:

I was told that it was the lucky silver 3d that was used.

Marc
Old 16-02-20, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
Yes I have an AG wing that you can clearly see the indent from the coin. Enjoy.
Hi Wingnut, that is a silver threepenny bit. Anyone got a picture of a sixpenny bit?

Here is a threepenny bit and you can see the three oakleaves on this 1935 coin: