British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-06-08, 07:49 PM

I would be say that a gold AA RHA badge without the seeding to the scrolls is odd if not suspect The change to silver occured in 1971 a long time before any change to the background to the scrolls was made. The removal of the seeding on the scrolls was made in 1981 but of course old stock was to be used up first.

Last edited by 54Bty; 14-06-08 at 08:03 PM.
Old 14-06-08, 08:41 PM

54BTY, I dare say you're right. I've seen plenty of the type you describe but never seen another like this without 'seeding'. As you say it could well be a factory oddity or similar. I would say that it isnt a classic 'fake' at all, but merely an odd colour/pattern combo. As has been discussed in other threads these strange items do turn up from time to time. Wouldnt it be good to get some input from somebody who worked in the factories where anodised insignia was manifactured! Could well answer a lot of all our anodised questions!

Thank you for your comment.

Bess
Old 14-06-08, 08:59 PM

Default London Badge & Button Coy A/A badges

Hi Bess & 54 Bty,
On reading your comments on the gold anodised cap badge made by LB & B Coy - it made me look at some of my staybrite variant badges.
Sure enough I have -
all gold Royal Hussars staybrite
all gold Staffordshire Regt staybrite
all gold D.E.R.R cap badge staybrite.

All of the above badges were made by the London Badge & Button Company.
bit of a coincidence here but I guess they either made a few errors with gold anodised badges or made them for the collectors market?

Colin
Old 14-06-08, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
As promised in my email.

1st Pattern Infantry Junior Leaders.
Hi 54Bty,

Is the difference here between yours having 'lugs' and mine being on a slider?

Regards

Chris
Old 15-06-08, 12:08 AM

Hi Bess,

I'd be keen on a photo of the balck AA Pioneer Corps if available.

Can differenced in RHA badges with seeded and unseeded be due to manufacturers design only and not official requirements?

Regards

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Gents, just to add my input so to speak. I too have one of the KC pioneer anodised badges above, which is exactly as the one pictured. I too believe it to be very scarce. (For info, I also have an all black version of the last pattern pioneer corps badge in AA).

With regard to the Gurkha transport Regt in AA, I also have a Gurkha army service corps badge in AA, which is similar in design with the obvious word changes (also have the collars).

With regard to the RHA badges in AA as displayed by 54BTY, I also have it as a gold AA cap badge with plain background, slider by LB&B company.

Any thoughts gents?

Bess
Old 15-06-08, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbrits View Post
Hi Bess & 54 Bty,
On reading your comments on the gold anodised cap badge made by LB & B Coy - it made me look at some of my staybrite variant badges.
Sure enough I have -
all gold Royal Hussars staybrite
all gold Staffordshire Regt staybrite
all gold D.E.R.R cap badge staybrite.

All of the above badges were made by the London Badge & Button Company.
bit of a coincidence here but I guess they either made a few errors with gold anodised badges or made them for the collectors market?

Colin
Hi Colin,

I would be keen to get a photo of the DERR in gold with a white background if possible to load up onto the web page.

With reference to a collectors market - did one actually exist years ago or was it just a few of us a schoolboys who went around trying to buy the odd badge with our pocket money for which no one would tool up for?

Regards

Chris
Old 15-06-08, 12:51 AM

Hi Guys,

Changes to the web pages following member advice and new photos.

Corps

Titles and descriptions amended as required.
General Service Corps (Silver) removed.
Royal Horse Artillery (Gold) added

OTC Schools

Portsmouth Grammer School added
Essex ACF added

Guys, I think I am upto date with all correspondance re: these pages but if you have not had a reply from me can you please re-send. This replacement knee is still giving me a bit of gip and I may has missed responding to emails and PM's of which there have been quite a few lately.

Regards

Chris
Old 15-06-08, 08:08 AM

Gents,

More strange variants from LB&B out there too then? Could be just floored badges ending up coming out the 'back door' of the factory maybe? I will have to check some of my odd colour variants too and see what the makers are. I'll post them when I get a mo' for everyones interest.

Chris,

Once I get myself sorted, you are more than welcome to a picture of the black 2nd pattern Pioneer Corps. As mentioned in an earlier PM to you I have several that you are welcome to mate.

As an anodised collector these threads are both a great source of information and enjoyment. Thanks all, once again guys.

Bess
Old 15-06-08, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Gents,

More strange variants from LB&B out there too then? Could be just floored badges ending up coming out the 'back door' of the factory maybe? I will have to check some of my odd colour variants too and see what the makers are. I'll post them when I get a mo' for everyones interest.

Chris,

Once I get myself sorted, you are more than welcome to a picture of the black 2nd pattern Pioneer Corps. As mentioned in an earlier PM to you I have several that you are welcome to mate.

As an anodised collector these threads are both a great source of information and enjoyment. Thanks all, once again guys.

Bess
Thanks Bess,

Look forward to the black 2nd pattern Pioneer Corps.

I will also hastle you for badges from that list you send me a week or so back when you get sorted out !!!

Regards

Chris
Old 15-06-08, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Can differenced in RHA badges with seeded and unseeded be due to manufacturers design only and not official requirements?
RHA Beret badge. The removal of the seeding on the scroll was officially ordered by the Director Royal Artillery after it was decided that the words were not very clear.

The same happened with the gun badge, but that was redesigned for some reason. Since the introduction of the new designed badge, sales of the older pattern in brass (aa when they can be found) have increased as the current soldiers prefer to wear the good looking pattern.

The 1st pattern aa Infantry Junior Leaders badge has longer blades to the swords.
Old 15-06-08, 04:18 PM

Default D.E.R.R All Gold A/a Cap Badge

Hi Chris,
Here as requested is the all gold version of the Duke of Edinurgh's Royal Regiment cap badge made by the London Badge & Button Company.
Regards.
Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0373.jpg (46.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 15-06-08, 06:12 PM

Default AA Badges

Some examples of AA badges as discussed above.

Took a while to suss out the system. Have several more of interest and will post them when I have the time.

Chris, if you wish to use these images, please let me know via a PM.

Bess
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_2837.jpg (25.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 101_2824.jpg (20.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 101_2825.jpg (21.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 101_2827.jpg (28.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 101_2830.jpg (20.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 101_2831.jpg (29.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 15-06-08, 07:07 PM

bess is the blackened skull and cross bones for 17th/21st lancers or QRL or both ?
Old 15-06-08, 07:20 PM

Mike,

I've no idea. I came across this one in a surplus store Hong Kong about 18 months ago. It has no name on the slider. I can only imagine it has been there since British Regts were stationed there. I would hazard a guess at it being 17/21 lancers. In truth I'm not sure how you tell the two apart (17/21 v QRL that is). I have examples in silver with various makers and one with lugs (east - west). Any one know how to tell the differance? I have a silver slider version made by Smith & Wright (small stamping on a very flimsy slider) which is a fairly early maker if this is anything to go by.

Bess
Old 15-06-08, 07:23 PM

Re the images above, for info both the KC Loyal Regt and the KC Intelligence Corps are with a slider maker marked R.A HUGHES.

Bess

Tags
anodised, staybrite