British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-07-13, 01:20 PM

2 things:

coincidentally, today is the anniversary of Delville wood!

Secondly, Brian , you are quite right, there are 3 books on the TS and each covers a different period of their history and each is by a different author.

regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi Brian,

yes WWII was also an interesting period but I'm particularly interested in the original formation, the links to the Duke of Atholl, the GSWA campaign and of course, they then formed a big part of 4th SAI in the SA Brigade in France.

regards, Iain
Old 14-07-13, 04:50 PM

While waiting for that photo here's my T.S.Volunteers helmet badge? 1906-1913.
With blades positioned E/W rather than N/S. Detail shows braze of blade similar to the gilt example in question.
Ron.

Old 14-07-13, 06:19 PM

Hi,
I have both these badges as well. TSV and T8thIS and both are identical to the ones posted, i.e. both have double blades. There is a post on this forum, re. SA badge with blades and is not mistaken the TS ones are mentioned there as well.

Steven
Old 14-07-13, 07:16 PM

Hello Ron,
I like both your badges, but, I do believe the first one you showed is post war and the second one in this post was actually worn in the Great War, with their second battalion wearing a brass 2ND TS with the tartan patch on their helmets.
Kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarsden View Post
While waiting for that photo here's my T.S.Volunteers helmet badge? 1906-1913.
With blades positioned E/W rather than N/S. Detail shows braze of blade similar to the gilt example in question.
Ron.

Old 14-07-13, 07:20 PM

Great to clear that up. It is just that the SADF used those types of paper clips by their thousands and thought it was possible some bright spark used 2 as badge lugs/blades?

That is what is so great about the BBF, many minds are better than one especially being able to compare examples THAT DO EXIST!

I have a "blade" Witwatersrand helmet badge and have seen a Transvaal Cyclist helmet blade badge, they are a lot rarer than the norm.

Brian
Old 14-07-13, 07:28 PM

Good heavens Iain,
The 14th of July, I had not even thought about it, the 4th SAI did well, the very first casualty group I bought to the SAI was a member of the 4th Battalion, mortally wounded on this very day, though, in 1916, it was a friday!
Thank you for reminding me of what was a very important day in the history of the South African Infantry Brigade.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
2 things:

coincidentally, today is the anniversary of Delville wood!

Secondly, Brian , you are quite right, there are 3 books on the TS and each covers a different period of their history and each is by a different author.

regards, Iain
Old 14-07-13, 11:59 PM

Brian,
I also have bladed SA badges, a Wits Rifles and a Southern Rifles, but these are old.
I have to agree, tho' that this first TS badge does have very shiny blades and could well be adapted. It doesn't make it a fake because as with the cast badges, they were done for a purpose.

Ron, I do like your TV badge; very nice!

regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Great to clear that up. It is just that the SADF used those types of paper clips by their thousands and thought it was possible some bright spark used 2 as badge lugs/blades?

That is what is so great about the BBF, many minds are better than one especially being able to compare examples THAT DO EXIST!

I have a "blade" Witwatersrand helmet badge and have seen a Transvaal Cyclist helmet blade badge, they are a lot rarer than the norm.

Brian

Last edited by iaindh; 15-07-13 at 12:11 AM.
Old 15-07-13, 12:22 AM

Hi Frank,

yes it was a sad day for the SA Brigade, with 80% casualties.
I heard on the radio that there was a wreath laying to commemorate the event. so the Govt still keeps some things going.

Kind regards, Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Good heavens Iain,
The 14th of July, I had not even thought about it, the 4th SAI did well, the very first casualty group I bought to the SAI was a member of the 4th Battalion, mortally wounded on this very day, though, in 1916, it was a friday!
Thank you for reminding me of what was a very important day in the history of the South African Infantry Brigade.
Regards Frank
Old 15-07-13, 12:42 PM

Here is a close up of the gilt badge tang braze.
Ron.
Old 15-07-13, 04:00 PM

Thanks Ron

One has to be careful with lifting these blades too often, age could cause them to sheer off. I was attempting to straighten a slide on a badge and it just popped off at the weld! Fortunately we have a very good "repair man" out here and he fixed it up for me.

Regards
Brian
Old 06-07-20, 12:18 PM

Default T S 8th Inf Badge with tails fixings

Hi Ron I have been searching for years, to see one other badge with this fixing you have on here, with the 4 tail type fixings. Every other I’ve seen have been standard pin fixings. Did you every manage to find out any more about your badge with the tail fixings ? Helmet and or patch. The one I have with tails has not got the tartan patch behind it. I noticed someone answered that maybe it had been altered to this fixing. However mine, as I suppose yours too does not show it as a repair or alteration. I would be interest to try and find out more about it, as I was given this badge as a child about 65 yrs ago. So I am really excited on seeing this photo of yours with the same fixing. I thought that maybe it was an Officer’s. Hope you can maybe shed more light on it.
Ernest
Old 09-07-20, 03:52 PM

Hi Ernest

These fixings are not found very often, however, I have a few examples in the collection. I've also included a few other types that I managed to find at short notice. Most of the badges seem to date from around 1913 - 1929 so not sure if that assists the discussion. One I haven't listed below is a boss badge to the Kaffrarian Rifles that also has two blades.

Prince Alfred's Guard - two blade example
PAG Rev.jpg

Prince Alfred's Own Volunteer Artillery - WWI two blade example
PAOVA Obv.jpg PAOVA Rev.jpg

Witwatersrand Rifles - two blade example
WRb Obv.jpg WRb Rev.jpg

Zululand Mounted Rifles - four blade example
ZMR Obv.jpg ZMR Rev.jpg

The next four examples all have 4 blades similar to the one discussed.
(1) Transvaal Scottish (2) 1st City Volunteers (3) Southern Mounted Rifles (4) Witwatersrand Rifles

TS Obv.jpg TS Rev.jpg
1CV Obv.jpg 1CV Rev.jpg
SMR Obv.jpg SMR Rev.jpg
WR Obv.jpg WR Rev.jpg
Old 09-07-20, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestRCT View Post
Hi Ron I have been searching for years, to see one other badge with this fixing you have on here, with the 4 tail type fixings. Every other I’ve seen have been standard pin fixings. Did you every manage to find out any more about your badge with the tail fixings ? Helmet and or patch. The one I have with tails has not got the tartan patch behind it. I noticed someone answered that maybe it had been altered to this fixing. However mine, as I suppose yours too does not show it as a repair or alteration. I would be interest to try and find out more about it, as I was given this badge as a child about 65 yrs ago. So I am really excited on seeing this photo of yours with the same fixing. I thought that maybe it was an Officer’s. Hope you can maybe shed more light on it.
Ernest
Hi Earnest,
I don’t think my example is an officers pattern but the earliest date worn was 1906. Be nice if you could post a pic of your badge.
Ron.