British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-07-17, 03:20 AM

Based on all pictures I have and have seen, all SA Medical officers (and men) wore the SA Brigade badge as a cap badge (Springbok badge). Medical officers wore large (cap size) bronze and/or g/m collar badges and the other ranks had similar collar badge but smaller. I posted pics of these in an earlier thread.

I went through the pictures I have of medical officers stationed at Abbeville, France but could not make a match based on the picture of Maurice posted. I have a commemorative album of the Richmond hospital that I need to find. There may be a picture in that collection.

Steven
Old 20-07-17, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
Based on all pictures I have and have seen, all SA Medical officers (and men) wore the SA Brigade badge as a cap badge (Springbok badge). Medical officers wore large (cap size) bronze and/or g/m collar badges and the other ranks had similar collar badge but smaller. I posted pics of these in an earlier thread.

Steven
Steven......

Ahhhhh Soooooo that has solved a question..... In with the medals were two small bronze Springbok badges and I thought that since he was medical they could not have belonged to him so I will add them to the fame I am making up..... Thanks Steven......

Mike
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer
Old 20-07-17, 08:05 AM

Those are really lovely badges and are certainly hard to find these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobD View Post
Interesting to see mention of his partner, Dr. A. D. Edington. Dr Edington's son, who was also a doctor in Durban, gave me his dad's Wolsley foreign service helmet with Natal Medical Corps badge on it. The helmet fell apart years ago, though I still have the badge
Old 25-07-17, 02:28 PM

Hi Mike,
I found the photo album I have on Richmond Hospital. It was put out by the South African Hospital and comforts fund c.1917 and titled 'Views of South African Hospital Richmond Park S.W.', consisting of a number of A5 size photographs of the going on's within the hospital.

Unfortunately there are only two photographs of officers (both Captains) sitting at there desk and none look like Pearson. Also there are no names or descriptions, so sorry no luck here.

I noted that he was involved with the Natal Medical Corps. They still exist today as number 1 Field Ambulance, SAMHS. I believe Alex Rice, a forum member here, is or was a piper for this unit and the unit may well have pictures of Col Pearson.

Steven
Old 25-07-17, 07:12 PM

Thank You Steven.....

I greatly appreciate your assistance, if I find anything I will let you know.....

Mike
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer
Old 29-07-17, 04:32 PM

Hello Mike,
To the best of my knowledge, certainly from 1916, in Great Britain and France, SAMC officers simply wore the OSD cap badge and collar badges of their own corps, as here, on the right, Captain Liebson SAMC was the 3rd SAI medical officer, the regiments famous Adjutant, Captain MacDonald on his left.
These badges really cannot be confused with the OSD cap badges worn by the regiments officers, they are a completely different shape and size.
In common with OSD badges, the actual cap badges had blades on their reverse, the collars had lugs and as mentioned before, were made here by Firmin for the Corps and were normally clearly marked as such.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSAMIKE View Post
Steven......

Ahhhhh Soooooo that has solved a question..... In with the medals were two small bronze Springbok badges and I thought that since he was medical they could not have belonged to him so I will add them to the fame I am making up..... Thanks Steven......

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030247.jpg (60.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-08-17, 10:56 AM

Very interesting. Here is another group of MOs in France: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205237752
The Capt on the right bears some resemblance but this may just be coincidence.
Old 04-08-17, 11:03 AM

And here is another of an officer, Capt Forbes MC. http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205294886 Can't quite make out the shoulder title but likely to be S.AFRICA or SOUTH AFRICA?
Old 28-06-18, 04:48 PM

Hello Mike,
Original SAMC OSD cap badges were made with blades to their reverse, a slider would be most unusual.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSAMIKE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed

On another note, the 'WWI' SA Medical badge with slider is a known 1970's copy of the original. The original ones were actually collar badges on lugs and later used as a cap in the early 1920's. These slidered versions are all copies and can be found on ebay in there numbers. It appears someone may have added it to the collection at some point.

Regards
Steven

Hi Frank.......

On the side of the slider is a very little letter "F" stamped on the side......

I tried to take a photo but as I enlarged it, it was to blurry to see.....

Mike
Old 27-05-19, 08:53 AM

Stephen Liebson served within the 3rd SAI as their MO, so I would think it is coincidental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhistry View Post
Very interesting. Here is another group of MOs in France: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205237752
The Capt on the right bears some resemblance but this may just be coincidence.
Old 27-05-19, 09:02 AM

That is a particularly nice portrait of Forbes, you can clearly see he wears a small OSD General Service cap badge and the handsome bronze collars of his Corps.
Notwithstanding, some officers did wear the SAMC cap badge on their SD caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhistry View Post
And here is another of an officer, Capt Forbes MC. http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205294886 Can't quite make out the shoulder title but likely to be S.AFRICA or SOUTH AFRICA?