British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-03-10, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Hi Mike and all,
I don't have the original badges mentioned but here are mine for interest.
Cheers, Tinto
With regard to the WM badge shown on the bottom right; what period were they in use if they indeed genuine? Somewhere along the line I picked up the impression that they are old restrikes...

CB
Old 22-03-10, 10:55 PM

Hi CB,
I can't answer your question but hope others on the Forum can help.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 23-03-10, 05:09 AM

Hi CB, there were restrikes/fakes of both the brass and white metal badges in the bottom corners. I believe this happened during the 1970's. The white metal badge was worn 1902-07 in South Africa. The fakes I have seen seem to be off of a different die to the original, so there are some small differences. I have seen them in gilt as well. I may have 1 lying in a box of junk(I don't move fakes when I find I bought 1, I keep them to remind me to be careful). If I find it, I'll take a picture. Regards Andrew
Old 23-03-10, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Hi CB, there were restrikes/fakes of both the brass and white metal badges in the bottom corners. I believe this happened during the 1970's. The white metal badge was worn 1902-07 in South Africa. The fakes I have seen seem to be off of a different die to the original, so there are some small differences. I have seen them in gilt as well. I may have 1 lying in a box of junk(I don't move fakes when I find I bought 1, I keep them to remind me to be careful). If I find it, I'll take a picture. Regards Andrew
Thanks all,
Can anyone else chime in here with regard to larger WM badge? I have one teetering in the edge of the trash bin waiting to be rescued or flipped!

CB
Old 23-03-10, 05:56 PM

Hi This is a picture of my Scottish Horse badges. The bottom 3 are 1902-07, the rest are Boer War. Regards Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sch.WEB.JPG (63.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 23-03-10, 05:58 PM

These 2 are fakes. Regards Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schb.WEB.JPG (56.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 23-03-10, 05:59 PM

The badge on the left is an original 1902-1907 SA Scottish Horse, the other 2 are fakes. Regards Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schc.WEB.JPG (47.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 24-03-10, 05:58 PM

Thanks for clearing this up Andrew. Into the bin my badge goes

CB
Old 24-03-10, 07:30 PM

It is a shame, but at least your collection is pure. I have a box of fakes I keep to remind me to be careful, but also to use as future reference. Regards Andrew
Old 26-03-10, 05:52 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Default Scottish Horse Badges.

There is another book on the subject, writen by John E Price (of Australia - now deceased), SOUTHERN CROSS SCOTS, published 1992. His wife may still have copies, she is at Villa 7, 16 Barrett St Cheltenham Vic 3192 AUST. I think that I paid about $25.00 Aussie dollars. ISBN 0 9593701 2X, you can look on the ABE Books web site also.

The cover and page 20 shows a close up side view showing the badge on a patch and black chooks feathers sticking out from behind the left turned up brim of the slouch hat. The badge is as per KK 1381 with out the wreath.

The book states that "other ranks wore a stamped brass ScH (which I have) on their shoulder straps". "The badge was usually backed by an oblong cloth swatch of the Athol Murray tartan."

This is a comprehensive book with a large roll of honour. Also there were a lot of Aussies in 2nd Scottish Horse, including my cousins grand father!

I recomend this for any one interested in the Scottish Horse.

Regards

Phil.

Last edited by Lancer 17; 26-03-10 at 06:01 AM.
Old 28-11-10, 10:59 AM

Default Scottish Horse

Hi Mike,
I have just been sorting out my grandfathers Boer War badges and medal, and it included his slouch hat badge(photo attached, hopefully).
The letters have the background cut out, and there is no wreath around the outside.
The badge was mounted on a patch of Atholl Murray tartan.
While searching I found there are quite a few colour shades available, so I have gone for the "Ancient".
John Price from Melbourne(now deceased) released a book, with a picture of a Scottish horse soldier on its cover.
I have given the copy I borrowed back to the owner, and I can't remember the title, but have ordered a copy from John Prices wife, so within a week or so I will be better informed.
I am not savvy enough to include the photo in here, so contact me by e-mail, and I will send it to you that way, at <blivingston_au@yahoo.com>
Cheers
Bernard