British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-03-10, 02:18 PM

Default 2d Scottish Horse Boer War

I've been directed here from another site as being a first class place for Badge info and advice!

My Great Great Grandfathers fought in the Boer War one in the IY and the other 2d Scottish Horse. I'm trying to find the correct badge that would have been worn on the slouch hat for the Scottish Horse.

The picture below I believe to be incorrect for a Boer War badge as I understand there should be no wreath and the lettering should be spaced. It is a 1903 Badge.

Can anyone confirm via a picture what a Boer War Scottish horse Badge looks like?

Old 17-03-10, 05:36 PM

Mike,
You need to get hold of a copy of "The Formation Sign" the journal of the Military Heradry Society Issue 229 January- March 2008.This shows a badge similar to the one you have illustrated as worn by the Scottish Horse on a yellow cloth oval. ( Regimental Patches Worn During the South African War 1899-1902 Part 10- The Imperial Yeomanry by Ron Kidd )

Also see "Uniforms of the British Yeomanry Force 1794-1914 No 8- Lovat Scouts and Scottish Horse " by L.Barlow and R.J. Smith

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 17-03-10, 05:46 PM

P.B. and Mike

Welcome to the forum Mike.....

I understand that the wreath around the badge was awarded under authority of KE7 for gallant service in South Africa.....

See Kipling and King Numbers 1381, 1382, 1383 (No 1900 date) and 1384 (N0 1900 date)..... The 1903 badge as shown above is 1385 and 1386....

Mike
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer
Old 17-03-10, 06:29 PM

Mike a most interesting point,the badge illustrated ( drawing rather than photograph ) in The Formation Sign shows the badge with the wreath on the yellow oval, but as you say according to Kipling and King their badge 1382 ( no wreath ) was worn on the yellow cloth backing with serrated edge.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 17-03-10, 07:26 PM

Hi,
Here is a link to a picture of a slouch hat with badge as in the Scottish Horse Museum in Dunkeld.
My wife and visited there a few years ago, a very moving experience.
Cheers, Tinto

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../0b/SHhat1.jpg
Old 17-03-10, 07:48 PM

Hi Tinto.....

That is the one we have been talking about it is the 1903 version of the cap badge..... The 1900-1902 does not have the wreath and is voided between the letters..... There is another version that is circular just like the Lovat's Scouts with a St. Andrews Cross in the center and just reading Scottish Horse.....

Mike
Old 17-03-10, 08:28 PM

Hi Mike and all,
I don't have the original badges mentioned but here are mine for interest.
Cheers, Tinto
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScottishHorsegroup.jpg (88.1 KB, 100 views)
Old 17-03-10, 08:59 PM

Hi Tinto....

The badge, top center (ScH) was also worn on the slouch hat during the Boer War....

Mike
Old 17-03-10, 09:13 PM

Hi Mike,
I wasn't sure about the ScH, thought it may have been a shoulder title.
Thanks, Tinto
Old 18-03-10, 08:01 AM

Some very interesting replies and useful information! I think its correct to say now that the one I have shown is a 1903 badge and was not worn during the boer war, which ofd course makes the hat in the museum post Boer War!

I've already ordered the first book just need to find this one: The Formation Sign" the journal of the Military Heradry Society Issue 229 January- March 2008.

So does anyone know where to get a genuine (ideally) or replica SH badge without the wreath or a 'SH' template badge as mentioned above also?

Looking a Wikipedia it says the flash behind the badge was either yellow, red or blue for 1st, 2d or 3d regiments respectively - does anyone think this is correct?

Many thanks this is all very useful information Mike

p.s. too many 'mikes' around here - I guess it was a 60's thing!!!
Old 18-03-10, 10:34 AM

I suppose the question that is still outstanding is does anyone have a picture of the SH badge without wreath i.e. the boer War version and know where to get a genuine or replica one?

Cheers Mike
Old 18-03-10, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post

Looking a Wikipedia it says the flash behind the badge was either yellow, red or blue for 1st, 2d or 3d regiments respectively - does anyone think this is correct?

Many thanks this is all very useful information Mike

p.s. too many 'mikes' around here - I guess it was a 60's thing!!!
Good Morning Mike.....

Wikipedia I think is correct in the flash colours as several other units used the same idea.......

For me though the Mike thing is from the 40's and Michael has been in the top 25 names for boys for many years.....

Mike
Old 18-03-10, 01:59 PM

Good Morning Again Mike.....

I forgot.......

Take a look at this thread: http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=2104

Mike
Old 18-03-10, 02:43 PM

Cheers Mike

I've order the Kipling and King book so i can see from there hopefully the X version of the SH badge! But that ScH version looks handmade, which i think did happen?

Mike
Old 18-03-10, 04:29 PM

Hi Mike.....

Yes it is "In Theater, Hand Made"..... You can see that most of the Boer War badges were hand made from sheet brass or from flattened artillery casings..... I have a copy of Strathcona's Horse daily routine orders and in there it gives the instructions to the ships machinist to manufacture the letters "S and H" for issue to the troops as they left Canada in such a hurry that they did not have any unit badges designed and manufactured.....

Did you order volume 1 of K and K as that is where the Imperial Yeomanry and Boer War section is located......

Mike