British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-03-08, 12:07 AM

Default Military Polica

Steve,
Thanks for posting the photo’s and such good quality. It’s the first time I have seen the ERvii badge in such detail brilliant. If you ever have time at a later date to take photos of the rear of the badges I would love to see them.

Many thanks,

Philip
Old 16-03-08, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Not quite RMP but Military Provost Staff Corps so I could not resist showing them.

The GVI is obviously post 1937. The one with the wreath is 1906-18. I recently got thsi one and it has a slight bit of damage to the wreath. The second one without the wreath is dated by an article in a french miliatry magazine provided by jean-Pitt to 1910-37. This one is not shown in K&K and is often confused as Norfolk Yeo. Matters are not helped by the amount of repros about of this one.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3160003.jpg (33.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg P3160004.jpg (28.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 16-03-08, 11:56 PM

Default Military Provost Staff Corps

Alan

Great to see some Military Provost Staff Corps Badges on the forum. As apart from Military Police these are the only other badges I am trying to collect.

Not wishing to split hairs but shouldn’t the GV with wreath be 1910-18 not 1906-18 or am I missing something? My old school master in Wales was always telling me I was!!

Was the GV without wreath from the so called "hate belt" you posted a while back?

Is the photo of the GVI the large version? And am I right in assuming there was another smaller WW2 beret GVI badge? Thus two different types for GVI ?

Maybe it would be a good idea to start a new thread with these photos?

Philip

Last edited by P.Jones; 17-03-08 at 12:26 AM.
Old 17-03-08, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Phillip.

Could well be 1910 rather than 1906. My French is poor and the article was from a French magazine.

I wreathless one I bought several years ago but looks identical to the one on the hate belt shown elsewhere in the forum.

The GVI badge is a small one as shown in K&K. There are much larger versions of this badge but I believe these to be Norfolk Yeomanry (NY). Wilkinson's book was full of confusion here and later amendments were required. His book even included another GVI cypher badge as a Norfolk Yeo beret, the likes of which I have never seen before and I have always wondered if it was a cut down Corps badge.

I will get my camera out and show the MPSC badges compared the NY.

Alan
Old 18-03-08, 12:56 AM

Default Mpsc-ny

Alan,

When you have time I would be very interested in seeing the comparison between the MPSC and the NY.

Philip
Old 18-03-08, 01:10 AM

Default Military Mounted Police

Alan,

Whilst we are on the subject of Military Police badges if this is the Military Foot Police badge all though be it a re-strike? see attachment. Do you know what the Military mounted Police badge look like?

Philip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg military foot police badge.jpg (38.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by P.Jones; 18-03-08 at 01:23 AM.
Old 18-03-08, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Phillip that is the MFP design - I think there is already a thread about the fakes. I do not think that there was a mounted equivelent so I presume mounted personnel wore the standard badge.

Alan
Old 18-03-08, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

These are the NY badges compared to the row of MPSC badges. The last one on each row are the EIIR beret badges. I also have both in a/a.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3180014.jpg (42.4 KB, 65 views)
Old 19-03-08, 12:14 AM

Default Mpsc

Alan,

Thanks for the last two posts, the MPSC and NY do indeed look very similar its only when you see them side by side.
I have the tenth edition of Wilkinson and he shows a MPSC GV with wreath and the date 1936-53? Any ideas?

Philip

Last edited by P.Jones; 19-03-08 at 01:49 AM.
Old 19-03-08, 02:03 AM

Default Mpsc Gv

Alan,
Attachment of the Wilkinson MPSC GV with wreath badge 1936-53

Philip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d578_1.jpg (26.3 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by P.Jones; 19-03-08 at 02:06 AM.
Old 19-03-08, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Wilkinson's descriptions are full of errors - he must have mislabelled the badge and meant the wreathless GVI one as the one shown is the WW1 version and Gv died in 1936.

Alan