British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-11-10, 03:48 PM

Default Pembroke Yeomanry Question

I've been trying (with a lot of research) to put together a list of badges for all regiments etc from World War 2, to give me something to aim for.

I made extensive use of the G.L.D. Alderton book which seems to omit the Pembroke Yeomanry. From the research I have done, I cant find any reason why this badge should have been omitted.

Can anyone shed light on this please ?
Old 05-11-10, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden View Post
I've been trying (with a lot of research) to put together a list of badges for all regiments etc from World War 2, to give me something to aim for.

I made extensive use of the G.L.D. Alderton book which seems to omit the Pembroke Yeomanry. From the research I have done, I cant find any reason why this badge should have been omitted.

Can anyone shed light on this please ?
According to K&K Volume 2:
In 1920 it formed 102nd (Pembroke and Cardiganshire) Army Field Regiment Royal Artillery. In 1947 it became 302nd (Pembroke Yeomanry) Field Regiment Royal Artillery but in 1961 was transferred to the Royal Armoured Corps.

I would suspect that the Royal Artillery cap badge was worn in WW2?
Old 06-11-10, 12:50 PM

Ahh that would explain it then, thanks
Old 06-11-10, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Form researching various yeomanry regts it is clear that the regts who were reroled in 1920 largely lost their own badge. This was particualry prevelant for the RA units but also applied to the RTC. There was a re-adoption of the old badges later; sometimes this was in 1937, some mid war and some post war.

Alan
Old 07-11-10, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Having looked in a 1941 pamphlet (not the best source but contempory) it shows the PY as converted to RA but wearing old badges so an possible oversight by Alderson.
Old 07-11-10, 03:27 PM

I wonder if Yeomanry suffered the same sort of ambiguity as the infantry !?

ACI 2 1937 – issued week ending 6.1.37
Territorial Army Instruction. The following instructions will apply to all personnel of T.A. infantry units converted to anti-aircraft brigades R.A. and anti-aircraft battalions R.E.:-
1. General:- (a) Badges, etc, - Cap and collar badges, shoulder titles and buttons to be worn by personnel of converted units will conform with those of the new arm of service, except that units desiring to do so may retain the cap badge and regimental pattern buttons authorised at the date of conversion, on the understanding that the whole of the personnel of the unit wears the same.
Old 10-11-10, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Having looked in a 1941 pamphlet (not the best source but contempory) it shows the PY as converted to RA but wearing old badges so an possible oversight by Alderson.
That seemed to happen quite a bit from what I've read, I think I'll keep it on my list

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on this.