British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-10-11, 12:28 PM

how can you doubt it the hinckley chap in your pic is clearly not wearing standard brit army uniform.
1917 they all have the same uniform.
dark green cap band,bronze cap badge,bronze shoulder title.
nco cuff ranks. interestingly atkins does not have the green band he is also wearing the cap badge as collars but then he is the boss.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lvr 001 (550x261).jpg (67.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 13-10-11, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc View Post
how can you doubt it the hinckley chap in your pic is clearly not wearing standard brit army uniform.
1917 they all have the same uniform.
dark green cap band,bronze cap badge,bronze shoulder title.
nco cuff ranks. interestingly atkins does not have the green band he is also wearing the cap badge as collars but then he is the boss.
Bob
At last and I have to tell you your photo is out of date and not 1917 at all, but 1916. The first item noticed is the red "VTC" armband, this disappeared almost immediately on the formation of the Volunteer Force as recognised by the War Office. A new smaller armband was also introduced for the V.F., which if I remember correctly was only to be worn in civvies or on duty in Munitions Factories etc.

I'm not familiar with all of your VTC units in Leicester, but you're reading too much in the photo caption. It appears to me obviously that Hinckley VTC is one of the Corps that has gone onto 'form' the 2nd Battalion, Leicestershire Volunter Regt. Over a period of time your grey/green uniform(which was worn by every Corps bar one or two) was phased out over a period of time.

May I suggest you look through your local newspapers and check your VTC Notes/Volunteer Notes. Most major citiy newspapers produced them for the Corps and they also give the changes introduced.
Old 13-10-11, 04:13 PM

if the volunteer serge twill was still being issued in 1917 very doughtful it would have begun to be phased out in 1916.
the first order you quote is october 1916, in the middle of a war nothing at home was going to be done quickly.
i still think it unlikely the '02 tunic with the 'v' would be before 1918.
Bob
Old 13-10-11, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc View Post
if the volunteer serge twill was still being issued in 1917 very doughtful it would have begun to be phased out in 1916.
the first order you quote is october 1916, in the middle of a war nothing at home was going to be done quickly.
i still think it unlikely the '02 tunic with the 'v' would be before 1918.
Bob
The fact is that some Volunteer units were so keen to get into khaki that some Territorial Associations had already made orders and some Corps were actually wearing it, without authority from the W.O., again which is covered by an ACI in 1916.

The Volunteer Force Gazette for 1916 even shows illustrations from uniform manufacturers, showing the new shoulder straps with the embroided 'V' titles, and the costing per unit. It was massive industry and not everyone waited for the RACD to supply them with uniforms.

Last edited by Graham Stewart; 14-10-11 at 12:04 PM.
Old 13-10-11, 06:03 PM

Cheshire V.R..jpg Caernarvon V.R..jpg Kent V.R..jpg

More examples of the V.F. 1916-18. Cheshire V.R.; Carnarvonshire V.R. in greatcoats and members of Kent V.R. in Camp.

Last edited by Graham Stewart; 15-10-11 at 08:04 AM.
Old 14-10-11, 01:39 PM

VTC.jpg

NCC - I've extracted this from "Official Regulations for the Volunteer Training Corps" published January 1916, showing the types of uniform that had to be worn by the V.T.C. as opposed to those worn by the V.F.. The red "GR" lettered brassard had to be worn at all times when on duty in both uniform and civilian clothing. This item was the first thing to disappear on the creation of the Volunteer Force.

Shoulder titles as far as the VTC were concerned had to include the letter 'V', but did not have to be woven into the strap and could be in metal.