British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

View Poll Results: In favour of a book forum/sub-board?
Aye 33 84.62%
Nay 6 15.38%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-16, 06:30 PM

Default Book Sub-Board/Forum Proposal

A reasonable percentage of my reading time is devoted to military subjects; three of the last seven books I have just read are military-related. As far as I am aware, the BCMBF does not have a dedicated sub-board/forum for books/book recommendations/book reviews/book discussion. If possible/popular, would mods and members be in favour of a (military) books sub-board/forum?

Perhaps I might be cheeky enough to propose a straw poll, just to ascertain general consensus?

(Comments welcome )

Yours in hope,

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 03-10-16 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-10-16, 07:51 PM

I'm in
Old 03-10-16, 08:13 PM

Definitely, David(Tremain) and I have had a little discussion about books in the past and its been very helpful to get good recommendations. And I can just go on endlessly about Denis Wood. Thats a yarp from me.
Old 03-10-16, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
Definitely, David(Tremain) and I have had a little discussion about books in the past and its been very helpful to get good recommendations. And I can just go on endlessly about Denis Wood. Thats a yarp from me.
So many reasons I'd like to see this in place; though I accept, from a technical point of view, it may not be possible even if wanted.

I know we can post about books in other areas, and if the proposal proves unpopular or not doable, then so be it... no harm done. It'd be nice though to have somewhere specific we can recommend, discuss, share snippets, condemn, review etc. etc.

Regards to all.
Old 03-10-16, 08:41 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Would it be useful to limit the length of a post on book reviews? When we had reviews of books under the 'Off Topic' section some time ago, it became self defeating because the reviews became longer and longer and it was even suggested that some of the reviews had been simply 'lifted' from other sources.
A limit on the length of the review might focus minds somewhat (and I should know....I can waffle for England!)
Old 03-10-16, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
So many reasons I'd like to see this in place; though I accept, from a technical point of view, it may not be possible even if wanted.

I know we can post about books in other areas, and if the proposal proves unpopular or not doable, then so be it... no harm done. It'd be nice though to have somewhere specific we can recommend, discuss, share snippets, condemn, review etc. etc.

Regards to all.
Only thing to be mindful of is not sharing images due to copyright, I think that may have put a halt to a previous book thread if I remember rightly.
Old 03-10-16, 08:44 PM

There used to be a book review thread, as well as a film review thread, try the search function. Perhaps they were both deleted because of copious copy/paste reviews from external sources.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 04-10-16, 07:54 AM

Any thoughts or comments from the mods, on this?

JT
Old 04-10-16, 08:14 AM

Default Book (and Film?) Reviews

I'm in favour. Mike
Old 04-10-16, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily View Post
Only thing to be mindful of is not sharing images due to copyright, I think that may have put a halt to a previous book thread if I remember rightly.
Here's some info:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exceptions-to-copyright

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/section/30

Images: am I right in thinking a link to the book (an image of the book concerned) isn't deemed an infringement?

Last edited by Marcus H; 04-10-16 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-10-16, 10:52 AM

That's an "AYE" from me, JT.

I've been given great recommendations from members 8n the past, so a dedicated sub forum to this end sounds like a great idea to me.

Cheers

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 04-10-16, 10:55 AM

Will peruse at a more leisurely pace in due course, but a cursory glace suggests that 'Criticism, Review and Reporting Current Events', appears to be the pertinent section for our proposed purposes?

Thanks Marcus.
Old 04-10-16, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
That's an "AYE" from me, JT.

I've been given great recommendations from members 8n the past, so a dedicated sub forum to this end sounds like a great idea to me.

Cheers

Colin
Me too. I have, in the past, even been the lucky beneficiary of the occasional book or three, thanks to the kindness and generosity of forum members. I think a books section would provide a much-appreciated platform.
Old 04-10-16, 12:43 PM

We've heard a few points from the 'for' camp... would anyone not in favour care to share their thoughts? (Disinclined to use the term 'nay-sayer', as it conveys a slight air of derogation).
Old 04-10-16, 02:53 PM

As an avid reader of military books and those on espionage I vote in favour of having a books section. It could include recommendations as well as reviews. That being said, as others have pointed out, any review should be original and not lifted from elsewhere. I'm not sure what happens with reviews posted on amazon, whether they are now their copyright. They should be the copyright of the author, but we'd have to read the small print and see what it says.

As to having a movies section, there are so few that really apply to our areas of interest that it might be a bit thin. There are those which have already been produced, such as 'Dambusters', 'Battle of Britain' etc, but it seems a bit pointless reviewing them now.

David

Tags
book forum, book sub-board