British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-02-13, 11:56 PM

Default The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)

When I were no'but a lad, I had a staybrite duke of boots badge, with a red felt triangular background.

You don't seem to see that nowadays - or am I not looking on the right place?

Can some smart chap enlighten me please?

If I were a betting man, I'd guess it went back to redcoats days & the lack of other colours on the DoW's tunics?

Cheers,

Andy C
Old 19-02-13, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC_65 View Post
When I were no'but a lad, I had a staybrite duke of boots badge, with a red felt triangular background.

You don't seem to see that nowadays - or am I not looking on the right place?

Can some smart chap enlighten me please?

If I were a betting man, I'd guess it went back to redcoats days & the lack of other colours on the DoW's tunics?

Cheers,

Andy C
You no longer see it becasue the DWR is now (but not for much longer), the 3rd Battalion of The Yorkshire Regiment and as such wear the Yorkshire Regt cap badge on the green backing.

PL
PS although I believe that Wellington College CCF still wear the old DWR badge
Old 19-02-13, 07:17 AM

If I have my regimental history right, the red triangle was an honour for having fought at the Battle of Waterloo.

The 33rd Foot having fought at Quatre Bras, lost so many men that they were unable to form a 'square' at the battle of Waterloo the following day so they had to form a triangle.

It is said that the officers stood in the ranks to form a proper square and that is why other ranks wore a triangular red backing and officers wore a square red backing to their badge. Well thats what I was taught anyway!

If I recall what little I know about the battle of Waterloo, the 33rd was merged with another regiment that had also had severe losses and they formed a square between them which was broken at some stage during the battle.

And Paul is absolutely right, the Duke of Wellington's Regiment became the 3rd Battalion (Duke of Wellington’s) Yorkshire Regiment (my son is a soldier in that battalion) but I fear it is not the regiment it once was and is due to merge with the other 2 regular battalions later this year. The Duke of Wellington’s Regimental name will finally disappear after more than 150 years.
Ivan
Old 19-02-13, 07:41 PM

Many thanks for all the responses.

Does anyone have a link to a picture? Want to make sure I get the right shade of red. Memory is telling me somewhere between Wales RFU red and maroon.

They are the longest continuous regiment are they not? Sorry to hear hat will come to an end.

Cheers,

Andy C
Old 19-02-13, 07:59 PM

Try these Andy.

Ivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01430.jpg (33.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01431.jpg (53.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01432.jpg (69.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 19-02-13, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Try these Andy.

Ivan
Perfect, thank you Ivan.
Old 20-02-13, 10:01 AM
Mr. Jackanory

On 'My personal' stuff album is my officers beret badge bought from the PRI at Endcliffe Hall in 1997. I was also taught the story of the three and four sided badges. The officers also wore a red background when wearing the the No1 dress cap but this is in outline. RSM Pigg was very polite when he informed me that the outline was not worn in the khaki peaked cap. I was also very polite! The OC was called Drake, quite a menagerie.
Old 20-02-13, 10:10 AM

Ah Yes, Andy Pigg, a very nice chap as RSM's go.

As for Lt Col Drake, the day after I passed my comissioning board he took great delight in informing me that I would be attending the Platoon Commanders course at Brecon....in January

Matti, if you were lurking around Endcliffe Hall at this time, we must have bumped into each other?

Ivan
Old 20-02-13, 10:35 AM
Mr. Jackanory

We probably did, I was running the ACF unit with a bloke who insisted on continuing to wear his Para beret. It was subtley hinted that if I wished to train with 3 Dukes I would be most welcome. However, the ACF had done the hard work of commissioning me so my duty lay with them. I actually had this from more than one unit, having a former A3 L/Cpl Royal Signals, now commissioned on a B type seemed quite an attractive proposition to some units. In the end, after much pestering I decided to try the Signals. I went before a board at 36 Regt and have never been treated so rudely in my life and the OC didn't even bother turning up to support me! I was the one who instigated the cadets to change their parade night to coincide with the Dukes' parade night too.

Last edited by matti467; 20-02-13 at 10:40 AM.