British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-02-09, 08:55 PM

Default Bancrofts School anodised badges

So far I have searched in vain for an anodised Bancrofts School badge. My presumption for its existance is Peter Taylor's book. I tried to look for Chris Marsh's photos but have lost the link somehow.
The only Bancrofts I have found have been a poor GM version and what I thought was a nasty cast shiny metal re-strike specimen. I say 'thought' because I have recently seen Keith Rawlings 2001 publication on OTC, CCF, ACF items. In it he mentions a 'cast anodised alluminium'. Could this be the same as my nasty badge?
This leads me on to wonder about the Perse School and Merchant Taylor's School anodised badges listed by Peter. I have specimens of these also in this nasty material but have never seen a proper anodised version. Badges for other OTC also exist in this material, such as Leys School and Stamford School.
Two questions for the Forum membership:
1) Do true anodised specimens exist in your collections? If they do please may I have a scan of them.
2) What is the origin of the shiny badges aforementioned? Are they 'restrikes' or have CCF units had a source of supply unused by the MoD?

Attached are scans of the front and rear of my two Bancrofts badges, together with a proper anodised badge for comparison. I apologie for the quality in advance, but my flatbed scanner isn't great.
Regards, Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bancrofts aa reverse.jpg (14.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Bancrofts aa front.jpg (36.2 KB, 97 views)