British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-06-13, 07:20 PM

I have posted this article before but thought I'd post it here as well as it seems relevant to the discussion. It's from Soldier magazine of 1947.
Also, the J above W/I\D does denote 1948, as does N denote 1943. These letter codes are well known to some collectors of uniform.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Berets2.jpg (91.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Berets1.jpg (102.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Berets3.jpg (111.8 KB, 41 views)
Old 22-06-13, 06:44 AM

Default Berets

Thanks arvp for this very interesting article - I had not seen it before. This kind of 'initiative test' is sometimes said to have been set for Commandos etc - one reputedly involved the retrieval of a garter worn by Lady Mountbatten. The assignment is alleged to have been successfully completed to the amusement of Lady Mountbatten.
This is a very informative thread - thanks to all contributors.
Mike
Old 28-06-13, 01:31 PM

Gents,

For those of you who are serious Commando beret collectors and looking to build your inventory, here is one listed on Epay. I’m very tempted but that will take me in a whole different direction of collecting. Not to mention the additional expense!

It looks like a good one to me!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130934688515...84.m1423.l2649

Cheers
Old 30-06-13, 09:22 PM

The auction closed at 660 GBP for a 1943 Commando beret!!! I actually expected it to fetch much more considering the rarity. Someone scored!! Epay can be a funny place when buying and selling.
Old 01-07-13, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
That's a blast from the past!

I remember the RQ well, called everyone 'Young man' and hearing those words would stop you in your tracks and make you hope that some other poor bugger was in for the inquisition and you could escape his glare long enough to slide out of view scary little bloke but good as gold on the right day if you went to him with a problem.
He never inspected my beret and my bald bit isn't too big, guess I was lucky

Ry
Ry

Your not wrong! He was a nice chap (from Manchester)! He and his wife ran the bingo in the NAAFI on Monday night. My pal won a flask and every time he saw him he would "young man how's your flask" making a drinking movement. Ha ha time good old Shiny 7 Squadron