British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-09-20, 09:10 AM

J.D.R.
Old 24-09-20, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
J.D.R.
indeed or his father who I only mention because in a previous thread (a few years back) it was said he was running the ebay site whilst JDR was ill and is perhaps not relevant here.

Jerry

Last edited by JerryBB; 24-09-20 at 04:00 PM.
Old 24-09-20, 07:17 PM

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

The lack of definition on the rear is the biggest warning. As mentioned, I've also never seen one with an applied numeral.

Hex lugs have been offered for sale on the 'bay. The lots I've seen have been pretty poor looking, which is saying something as the real ones weren't masterpieces of Edwardian craftsmanship. They're also shiny and new. To be fair, they are (ostensibly) meant to used as replacements.
Old 03-10-20, 04:55 PM

The badge on the red background surfaced this evening on eBay and reminded me to float this idea.

It is of course a fake Hood RND from the same stable as the slidered badge, difference being this one is on the seldom seen stamped brass lugs which many collectors regard as a ‘relatively safe’ bet in matters of authenticity.

Whilst I believe genuine Hood badges do come with such loops in my experience I’ve only ever seen them on these very distinctive makers variations, shown in this thread: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ght=Naval+hood . The lugs are almost as distinct as the badge in their shape and the thin gauge of the metal.

Similarly the hex lugs I have on a Tyneside Scottish (4th type) and a couple odd STs I own all appear to be made from thinner gauge metal than the Liverpool Pals badge in post #6.

So is it a case the reproduction hex and stamped lugs are being made from thicker sheet metal than originals?

I would be interested to see other members examples of stamped lugs to test this theory. I am aware some Aus/NZ/Canadian and Middle Eastern made badges being made with thicker brass loops.

Keith - can you remember if badgeman’s hex lugs were also quite thick?
Old 03-10-20, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
The badge on the red background surfaced this evening on eBay and reminded me to float this idea.

It is of course a fake Hood RND from the same stable as the slidered badge, difference being this one is on the seldom seen stamped brass lugs which many collectors regard as a ‘relatively safe’ bet in matters of authenticity.

Whilst I believe genuine Hood badges do come with such loops in my experience I’ve only ever seen them on these very distinctive makers variations, shown in this thread: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ght=Naval+hood . The lugs are almost as distinct as the badge in their shape and the thin gauge of the metal.

Similarly the hex lugs I have on a Tyneside Scottish (4th type) and a couple odd STs I own all appear to be made from thinner gauge metal than the Liverpool Pals badge in post #6.

So is it a case the reproduction hex and stamped lugs are being made from thicker sheet metal than originals?

I would be interested to see other members examples of stamped lugs to test this theory. I am aware some Aus/NZ/Canadian and Middle Eastern made badges being made with thicker brass loops.

Keith - can you remember if badgeman’s hex lugs were also quite thick?
I think I’ve still got a couple somewhere, I’ll check. One thing I do remember is that they’re larger.
Old 04-10-20, 02:29 PM

All the KLR badges and STs - that I've seen - with hexagonal loops are attached to the most awfully made badges / STs.
I've abandoned trying to find a genuine Lpl Pals badge with hex [sic].
Old 15-10-20, 05:26 PM

Good evening,
Same seller as before on ebay, has another 4th City Batttalion L'Pool Pals shoulder title, with separate number and DIFFERENT style lugs, to the last offering.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/51sAA...fyS2/s-l64.jpg

The link below shows the type of lugs in use for shoulder titles, and while both offerings from this seller have authorised lugs, I've never seen them on an L'Pool Pals title, nor the separate numeral. And TWO different lug variations from one battalion with, separate numerals ? same seller! Really?

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ictureid=39712

forgot to mention; seller dosen't say it's genuine, just used.
Old 16-10-20, 02:24 AM

“forgot to mention; seller dosen't say it's genuine, just used” (billy4294).

“Spin' is a polite word for deception. Spinners mislead by means that range from subtle omissions to outright lies. Spin paints a false picture of reality by bending facts, mischaracterizing the words of others, ignoring or denying crucial evidence, or just 'spinning a yarn' - by making things up” (Kathleen Hall Jamieson).

This eBay seller also operates an online militaria site:

https://www.chairbornemilitaria.co.uk/home.php

Last edited by SemperFi; 16-10-20 at 02:26 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 16-10-20, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
“forgot to mention; seller dosen't say it's genuine, just used” (billy4294).

“Spin' is a polite word for deception. Spinners mislead by means that range from subtle omissions to outright lies. Spin paints a false picture of reality by bending facts, mischaracterizing the words of others, ignoring or denying crucial evidence, or just 'spinning a yarn' - by making things up” (Kathleen Hall Jamieson).

This eBay seller also operates an online militaria site:

https://www.chairbornemilitaria.co.uk/home.php
Correct Billy and it is listed in Collectables - Militaria - WW1 - Badges - just as pictures form part of the description so does the category
Old 16-10-20, 09:53 AM

Not being a collector of these per se, but that "stippling" in the text background looks rather crude and the solder overflow on the top/ bottom of the "4" not up to production standards I would have thought.
Old 16-10-20, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary1666 View Post
Correct Billy and it is listed in Collectables - Militaria - WW1 - Badges - just as pictures form part of the description so does the category
Oops, hope my post above didn’t come across as a comment about Billy! The longer quote about deception was directed at the eBay seller. As an online Militaria dealer, this eBay seller likely knows his eBay badges and etc. are mostly repros and etc. His not explicitly stating that is disingenuous.
Old 16-10-20, 01:15 PM

Quoted the wrong one apologies, hope Im not causing confusion now!
It should also be noted that as they appear to be 2 different badges the 'fault' for want of a better word between the E and the K is near identical on both.

Last edited by gary1666; 16-10-20 at 01:44 PM.
Old 16-10-20, 09:48 PM

Gary, I’d say they both are from the same repro die. His earlier (your OP) ST went for £41.... He has a couple of fake Salford pals ST listed also; both have “2012” on their reverse sides. Wonder if whoever cranked those out added 2012 to ID them as repros?
Old 17-10-20, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Gary, I’d say they both are from the same repro die. His earlier (your OP) ST went for £41.... He has a couple of fake Salford pals ST listed also; both have “2012” on their reverse sides. Wonder if whoever cranked those out added 2012 to ID them as repros?
Hi,
Thats interesting about the Salford ones, I'll have a look at them, I didn't bother looking at the sellers other stuff but probably worth it from an education point,
Thanks Gary
Old 17-10-20, 06:15 AM

I see the 2012 now, still on £16 though with a few bidders