British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-09-20, 10:10 AM

Default Fake Lowland Regiment Badge On Ebay

I’ve messaged the seller (a former forum member) to advise him that this badge is fake (and the reasons why) , in spite of this it’s still listed as genuine several days https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTI1NlgxMjg0/z/Gp4AAOSwmRVfS-VL/$_12.JPG
Old 05-09-20, 10:33 AM

As are most of their other badges.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lowland-R...613a%7Ciid%3A1

If that person is a forum member this is disgraceful.

All sold as ‘‘This is an absolutely original and genuine badge’’. Shocking if a member.

Last edited by Luke H; 05-09-20 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-09-20, 10:41 AM

A former forum member - used to regularly use the forum to gain information and valuations before selling items on EBay
Old 05-09-20, 11:00 AM

I see. I misread that part then. Have to say I don’t know of any former forum members from Clitheroe.
Old 05-09-20, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I see. I misread that part then. Have to say I don’t know of any former forum members from Clitheroe.
Would it help if I said that he had the words james and militaria in his user name and someone was asking about him on the forum recently ?

PL
Old 05-09-20, 03:49 PM

I looked at this listing for this badge and suspect that in a court of law, he would win. Saying it is genuine badge for the lowland regt is true, as it is a "genuine" badge for that regt. What it is not is a vintage lowland regt badge. That said, in the UK, "genuine" may be used in the same context as "vintage", so that would negate what I have said above.

What would have concerned me is how clean and bright the badge is - everywhere! I also looked at some of his other badges, and what jumped out at me right off, was the flaw on the KRRC badge (You taught me well Luke). When I am thinking of buying a badge from eBay and I am not already sure I look at his other items for fakes, and would probably ask here. However, unless it's something I know well enough to feel comfortable about I prefer to buy from members and reputable dealers.

Terry
Old 05-09-20, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
Would it help if I said that he had the words james and militaria in his user name and someone was asking about him on the forum recently ?

PL
Didn’t know he was gone, another thing I missed! Makes sense now, thanks.
Old 05-09-20, 04:28 PM

Another idiot to avoid, although, I doubt if he will fool many people, unless they have simply not troubled themselves to look at why a particular badge is original and not completely spurious, but, it is certainly very annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
I’ve messaged the seller (a former forum member) to advise him that this badge is fake (and the reasons why) , in spite of this it’s still listed as genuine several days https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTI1NlgxMjg0/z/Gp4AAOSwmRVfS-VL/$_12.JPG
Old 05-09-20, 04:34 PM

It is not genuine, it was not produced for or originally worn by the regiment concerned, moreover, I would doubt that it could be reasonably described as vintage either, the description is very deliberate and intended to deceive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
I looked at this listing for this badge and suspect that in a court of law, he would win. Saying it is genuine badge for the lowland regt is true, as it is a "genuine" badge for that regt. What it is not is a vintage lowland regt badge. That said, in the UK, "genuine" may be used in the same context as "vintage", so that would negate what I have said above.

What would have concerned me is how clean and bright the badge is - everywhere! I also looked at some of his other badges, and what jumped out at me right off, was the flaw on the KRRC badge (You taught me well Luke). When I am thinking of buying a badge from eBay and I am not already sure I look at his other items for fakes, and would probably ask here. However, unless it's something I know well enough to feel comfortable about I prefer to buy from members and reputable dealers.

Terry
Old 05-09-20, 06:01 PM

Default Fake Lowland Regiment Badge

The Parachute Regiment badge has the classic flaw on the lower inner edge of the top left wing segment (as you look at it).
Arnhem Jim aka Arnhemjim
Arizona Territory
Old 05-09-20, 07:06 PM

Frank, I absolutely agree - meant to deceive, and I would not buy from him, so no worry there. Those who sell fakes and know it, are basically scammers in an open market of the unsuspecting. They know that and that is why they get away with it.

I have been bitten, but thanks to this forum and the people here I have learned so much and feel better about my sources and purchases.

Terry