British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-08-08, 03:08 PM

Default Identity crisis? Change of Forum title?

Is it just me being pedantic or do we now need a change of name? To The British Commonwealth Military Badge Forum.

This forum may have started off as British Military Badge Forum but it has much more of a Canadian bent since the massive influx of Canadian members. Most of the badges shown are not British.

Don't get me wrong! I'm not complaining about the much needed membership or the badges discussed. I'm happy reading about Canadian badges especially as I know nothing save the Airborne ones.

There's also an Australian, NZ, South African and Indian badge section and even Arabic ones have been seen.

So all in all, The British Military Badge Forum is a redundant name and should really be changed.

When will a load of American badges or German ones start appearing? If they did would anything be said?
Old 12-08-08, 03:27 PM

The Military Insignia of the World Forum ?
STM.
Old 12-08-08, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

I would prefer to avoid expanding the scope of the forum any wider as there are enough 3rd Reich/US/Japanese sites and such like already. The arrival of the incredible Canadian expertise has certainly justified opening up such a thriving Canadain section and there is some cross over in to the British areas. (is there a Canadian based site that rival's this one by the way as the other competeing British sites are now a wilderness?). Likewise there is some compatability to the Aus and Nz areas. I would be wary of diluting the Forum's expertise with badge areas that are already well catered for elsewhere.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 12-08-08 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-08-08, 04:39 PM

Smile Forum Identity

If it ain't broke, don't mend it . . !
Old 12-08-08, 05:59 PM

I second sonofacqms' motion. I'm quite happy with the forum's name.
Jo
Old 12-08-08, 06:38 PM
David Douglas

Default Identity crisis

May offer my six-pennyworth on the subject. I must admit being the one who raised a question at the appearance of classifieds for 3rd Reich items - I think that says much about my feelings. The Empire is a wide enough catchment area for any Forum - I do note that we don't see much Indian Army references although I wouldn't object to that. The fact that there are more than superficial ties between the United Kingdom and Commonwealth countries justifies inclusion of the latter - but that is only a personal view. If there were a vote I would vote for fewer rather than more. Regards. David
Old 12-08-08, 08:14 PM

If the Canadians were good enough to fight alongside the British at Passchendaele then their badges are good enough to sit next to British ones on any forum. Same goes for the rest of the commonwealth/empire. But lets keep the 3rd reich out.
Old 12-08-08, 09:16 PM

I like the forum name as it is. I don't think there is any need to change it. As long as there is interest in any topic whether it be German, Indian, Zulu etc.

If a question is asked and a forum member can offer expertise why not include it. I think the warmacht forum covers Germans collectors who are quite involed with the hobby, but if you have a badge and need info on it, why not start a thread here, no sense in joining that forum if a member here can help you.

Just my humble opinions,
Jaime
Old 12-08-08, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

From a slightly different perspective, if I were to be searching with google or another search engine, would the addition of "Commonwealth" to the Forum name generate more hits?

The focus of this web site and the forum is unique. There are specific forums / boards for German, WW1, US, unit histories, etc, etc, as already mentioned, but this is the only one I have found that is specifically for British and Commonwealth badges. There is no Canadian equivalent for badges, and honestly, I am not sure if there would be enough interest for a freestanding one. Most of the Canadians got here because they are already reading other forums where this site was advertised. In fact, I think that several other Canadian sites have less traffic, because they did not focus on badges, and badges were sort of second row.

I think that the name is fine as it stands. And as Jaime says, let the questions be asked, and hopefully a forum member has an answer. The structure of the board limits the "foriegn badge" categories, and if it did become an issue, the board owner can act as he sees fit.

Last edited by Bill A; 13-08-08 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-08-08, 11:41 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Well said Bill.
Now can anyone give me a good site for US badges. or maybe I should say Military info. because other than cloth their badges are few & far between. Ray
Old 13-08-08, 12:23 AM

Hi Ray, here are some that may interest you.

No.1:http://www.omsa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=960

No.2:http://www.forum.militaryltd.com/arm...s-question.htm

No.3:http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/forum/...pic.php?t=8870

And an all-around one;http://forum.uniforminsignia.net/viewtopic.php?p=16937

Hoping this will help in your search.
Jo
Old 13-08-08, 01:27 AM

Default God save the Queen... and the Forum name

If there was anywhere as near a decent resource in Canada as this forum I'm sure we'd have found it. I came to this site because it came recommended as a solid repository of collector knowledge. Even though I'm not a British badge collector, the manufacture, history, design, etc. of both British and Canadian insignia are pretty closely tied, and I've learned a whole lot more reading everyone's posts than I knew before. The info on Gaunt repro maker marks made my joining worthwhile in and of itself.

More than that, this place is such a welcome relief from the snarly, rude and condescending alternatives I'd found beforehand, and it is clearly the most civilized site of its type I've encountered to date. With minor exceptions and the odd tantrum, the best part of belonging has been the respect members show when responding to other opinions. I haven't seen anyone tell anyone else to "buy a book", and have yet to see anyone lording their expertise -- either real or imagined -- over anyone else o this site.

I'm just happy Bill A and Alan Owen let us pull up chairs and park our digital butts here. I certainly wouldn't think of asking them to change the forum name as a result of that courtesy (as misguided as it might have been ). It was the British Military Badge Forum when I signed up and that's good enough for me.
Old 13-08-08, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

David, thanks for the comments.
Mike, the forum / web site owner, must be congratulated on having set up the site.
Old 13-08-08, 03:12 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

I joined the BRITISH MILITARY BADGES FORUM and appreciate all aspects of it . There has never been anything gained by trying to reinvent a round wheel. I think as stated the structure is set up to limit any encroachment of outside topics but to also allow limited latitude which is most fair and not seen in other CANADIAN forum (s). Keep up the great work on our behalf it is most appreciated

PAUL
Old 13-08-08, 12:14 PM

As the originator of this thread I'm pleased at the response. I started it as a read between the lines statement and happily that's exactly how it's been taken.

I fully understood the fact that a name change was unnecessary and costly if not nigh on improbable before I typed a word. A cencus of opinion on the site was achieved.

Everyone is happy with the status quo. Commonwealth badges are welcome and there's already plenty of alternatives featuring U.S, German and A.N.Other badges and they wont be encrouching onto this one.

Happy.