British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-08-08, 10:14 PM

Default Cleaning Blackened Badges

I was just sitting here cleaning up a couple of Brass Shoulder Titles, and I thought to myself....what about cleaning Blackened Badges. For example, How would one go about cleaning say a QOR, Winnipeg Rifles, or other Blackened Badge or title??

I was looking at my newest acquired badge, a cap badge belonging to the Prince Edward Island Light Horse, and thought of how I would clean it if need be.

The badge is very nice and no need to clean it ever, but what about things like blackened titles or other badges? Certainly one would not use Brasso to clean up a Blackened badge? I use either Brasso or never dull to clean up my dirty badges. I only clean them once. They go into my display case and live there the rest of my days.

Something that I just thought of and wondered about.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 01-09-08, 02:12 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Someone was just saying they liked to see the odd joke.I believe it was Saddle Tree Maker, Well, THIS BEING THE SABBATH A LITTLE SERMON(joke) maybe in order, SEND UNTO ME ALL THOSE BLACKENED BADGES THAT YOU HAVE AND I WILL LIGHTEN YOUR BURDEN. ( sorry Cliff) Ray
Old 01-09-08, 03:01 AM

All I do to clean my badges is a soft brush and a little warm water this is usally good enough to get rid of all traces of old brasso and dirt. I would not use anything harsher if you wish to preserve the remaining original finish.

Stephen
Old 01-09-08, 04:50 AM

Gentle soap and water works fine

But best is one of those sonic cleaners sold as jewellry cleaners. Work by ultra sonic sound; no abrasion at all.

Eddie
Old 01-09-08, 05:30 AM

I know a collector who only collects the gilt/brass/copper/white metal versions of badges. Occasionally he has to buy the blackened version and generally these are the rarer badges. He cleans all the black off back to base metal. To me, he has stuffed that badge.
BC
Old 01-09-08, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the replies lads. It was something I was wondering about while cleaning up a very crusty set of Royal Regiment of Canada brass titles.

As I stated in my first post, I saw my PEI Light Horse cap badge sitting on my desk, waiting to be mounted into my collection, and thought how would I clean this if needed?

Gentle soap and water makes the most sense. I can only imagine how many badge finishes have been ruined by a lapse in judgment but people over the years.

Ray, a very interesting sermon for sure. I loved it, made me laugh out loud.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 01-09-08, 02:23 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Glad you have a sence of humor cliff.
Old 01-09-08, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Eddie, Have you used the ultrasonic cleaners? Does it clean verdigris? Stains?
Old 01-09-08, 03:42 PM

At the risk of going off topic ( if I am I will get my trusty service revolver out and do the descent thing ) there is a general collection in ( I seem to remember ) one of the Museums in the Midlands where all the blackened badges have in the past been varnished to protect the finish.All it has done is to ruin some great original items.
I would leave blackened and service dress bronze badges just as they are.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 01-09-08, 03:47 PM

when i clean medals [again not all of them] i use a paste of bicarbonate of soda rubbed in with the fingers,then a soft toothbrush and some warm water,an abrasive i know but mild.
Old 01-09-08, 05:27 PM

The sonic cleaner will remove any physical dirt from the surface of the badge. It will not remove patina (or tarnish if you like) but any brasso residue will disappear.

It also removes any trace of grease, finger marks etc . If the piece is heavily verdigrised (is that a word?) it will remove any loose material but not the stain underneath.

I have had great success using it with a detergent added to the water and if something is at all greasy filling the bowl with pure denatured achohol. Obviously experiment with something cheap first!

It cleans gold jewellery so that it looks like new, and the wife's rings look a million dollars. Metal wrist watch straps etc etc.
Old 01-09-08, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
The sonic cleaner will remove any physical dirt from the surface of the badge. It will not remove patina (or tarnish if you like) but any brasso residue will disappear.

It also removes any trace of grease, finger marks etc . If the piece is heavily verdigrised (is that a word?) it will remove any loose material but not the stain underneath.

I have had great success using it with a detergent added to the water and if something is at all greasy filling the bowl with pure denatured achohol. Obviously experiment with something cheap first!

It cleans gold jewellery so that it looks like new, and the wife's rings look a million dollars. Metal wrist watch straps etc etc.
Just to add my two penneth worth, I have recently bought a sonic cleaner and would also highly recommend it.
Cofion
Kevin
Old 04-09-08, 05:31 PM

Smile cleaning blackened badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon1357 View Post
I was just sitting here cleaning up a couple of Brass Shoulder Titles, and I thought to myself....what about cleaning Blackened Badges. For example, How would one go about cleaning say a QOR, Winnipeg Rifles, or other Blackened Badge or title??

I was looking at my newest acquired badge, a cap badge belonging to the Prince Edward Island Light Horse, and thought of how I would clean it if need be.

The badge is very nice and no need to clean it ever, but what about things like blackened titles or other badges? Certainly one would not use Brasso to clean up a Blackened badge? I use either Brasso or never dull to clean up my dirty badges. I only clean them once. They go into my display case and live there the rest of my days.

Something that I just thought of and wondered about.
I use a sonic cleaner which has been mentioned use warm water and sunlight dish soap!