British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-08, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Default ISAF Canadian Theatre made

The following patch was obtained from a Canadian army Afghanistan vet. It was theatre made, and is significantly different than the patches that are on ebay.
It is very difficult to catalogue the insignia being worn by the Canadians in Afghanistan. There are reports of many unofficial patches. Any documented information (or rumours) of patches worn by the Canadian army in the ISAF would be welcome.

Larry Will has sent me several images of ISAF and other patches being worn in Afghanistan. The variety is bewildering. The first is the theatre made example I posted, the remainder are the "desert" coloured patches from Larry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010228.jpg (47.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg ISAF wills sand colour 2008.jpg (98.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg ISAF wills sand colour v3 2008.jpg (99.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg ISAF wills sand colour variety 2 2008.jpg (98.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg ISAF wills sand colour white border 2008.jpg (99.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg ISAF wills taupe sand black border 2008.jpg (98.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Bill A; 16-05-08 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Larry only has one correct name
Old 16-05-08, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Default ISAF green patches

In addition to the desert coloured patches issued to deployments in Afghanistan, there are also white on green examples. These were acquired in theatre.
Old 16-05-08, 02:21 PM

Default Patch Providence

All of the patches picture'd here either were worn or "aquired" by my son or a personnel friend (Signals) on the last three tours in Afganistan. Patches come in "ready to be sewn on", velcro backing for attachment to the velcro positions on the uniform or on a shoulder brassard.
Old 01-06-08, 03:50 AM

The small green ISAF and the Kabul Multinational Brigade patches are Canadian made for the first roto. The large tan ISAF is US made and the MP patch is theatre acquired.

Souvenier patches made in Kandahar. "Enduring Freedom 2007"???
Old 17-07-08, 12:58 PM

Default ISAF Headquarters

This patch is courtesy of Lieutenant Commander Sheyla Dussault who served at ISAF HQ 2007-08.
The patch was manufactured locally in Afghanistan, and sold to raise funds for a local orphanage. The HQ Staff were authorised to wear the patches.
The dragon logo is used with the permission of The Kingston Brewing Company since it is their logo. (Insert plug here) The KBC brews its own beer on the premises and is a favourite watering hole for many of Kingston's military members. It is not unusual to see large groups of Staff College students and/or directing staff in the pub and it is often the site of retirement functions and unit gatherings. There have even been sightings of a now retired CDS from Newfoundland.
Since Kingston is the "military crossroads" of Canada, it is appropriate that the logo of a favourite stop be incorporated into this patch...and if nothing else, it is "fun".

Amendment 16 May 2009
Here is the story of the HQ ISAF "Dragon Patch", courtesy of Lieutenant Commander Sheyla Dussault.
The Dragon patch has in its centre the crest of the Kingston Brewing Company (KBC), and bears red, green and white colours which represent Christmas in Canada, and in order, martyrs, Islam and purity in Afghanistan. Late 2007, a request was sent from the Canadian National Support Element (NSE) to the KBC to use the dragon's head on a patch for a Christmas fundraiser at the Headquarters of the International Security Assistance Force (HQ ISAF) in Kabul, Afghanistan. The ides was based on the habit of personnel at HQ ISAF to wear unit badges on Velcro on their combat uniform. The Canadian Commanding Officer at ISAF agreed to have Canadians wear the patch during the fund raiser period, which spanned into January. Close to 300 Euros were raised, which helped pay rent for the Kabul Orphanage the Canadian NSE was sponsoring at the time. A rather dynamic picture of a group of Canadian Forces personnel and a US officer, all wearing the patch, was taken and presented to the KBC. It currently hangs on the 'tribute to the military' wall, in the bar area. The picture, with the patch, drew such attention from customers that an additional 50 patches were ordered from Kabul and sold at the KBC in 'phase 2' of the fundraiser operation, providing an additional $250 for the orphanage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ISAF HQ.jpg (89.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg ISAF HQ2.jpg (48.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 23-07-13 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 17-07-08, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Great information Phil. Thanks.
Old 11-08-08, 03:03 PM

On the Kandahar Airfield base (one of many examples) everyone could go to a shop and get a badge/ patch made. There are so many locals who will do that and you just give them a paper with something written on it (that's what you would like to have on the badge) like a name, for instance John. Then that man will make you a patch with your name on it in English and in Afghan.

Kind regards,
Martijn
Old 11-08-08, 03:15 PM

I have heard that some UK soldiers are wearing name tags in Arabic/Afghani that translate as "Infidel".
Soldiers always prove to have a sense of humour.
Old 11-08-08, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

For my notes, there are the official patches, the ISAF, KMNB, etc, and many many many undocumented unofficial patches? Given the availability of "theatre made" patches, it will be nearly impossible to document this war.
I have heard of "commemorative" patches being made up and worn. Confirmation? These are patches with the names of lost comrades that are reportedly worn.
John, do you have a date for the switch from the green to the sand coloured patches?

Last edited by Bill A; 12-08-08 at 02:42 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old 12-08-08, 04:17 PM

I don't think you can date it when they switched to desert patches and green ones. that's up to the men themself. We used both, in 2001 the Dutch were wearing a green square ISAF badge.
Old 23-08-08, 01:03 AM

What does ISAF stand for?
Old 23-08-08, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

International Security Assistance Force.
Old 06-10-08, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Another patch has been reported, TF 1-07. (Task Force 1 07). Anyone have an image of the same?
Old 07-10-08, 12:12 AM

I recently flew through Edmonton back to Ottawa. In both airports I saw a number of CF returning from the big sand box. Several wore unit patches whose abbreviations/nicknames I did not recognize. These will, undoubtedly, perplex collectors for years to come.
Old 17-10-08, 04:58 PM

I am currently deployed to Kandahar, Regional Command South HQ. I have collected (so far) approx 2 doz sleeve badges worn by our troops here. Once I return home in Dec and gain access to my scanner, I'll post them on this forum.

Thomas
Closed Thread