British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-09-14, 08:55 PM
LYPAO Boff

Peter

I am "British".....I claim being Welsh because that is where I was brought up, educated and my fathers line comes from. BUT...... I am on my mothers side ...English (West Dean, East Sussex), then Scottish (Baidlands, Nr. Dalry, Ayrshire) .... then Irish (Crawfordsburn, Bangor, Co Down).

Most of us who claim to be one thing in this Great Isle..... will find out that in reality we are a good mix of everything (Even the Sweatiest of Socks)

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 20-09-14 at 08:16 AM.
Old 19-09-14, 09:12 PM
Former Member

Well the First Minister resigns! What a surprise, if anyone thought that this was anything but an Alex Salmond Ego Trip, then Hey Ho! He fooled you too, if anyone with even a minute sense of reality, thought that going it alone would have been a good move, with no financial realism, voted "Yes" out of pure passion than realism, or just a distrust of Westminster.

Thank God an egotistical Fat Jock has not ruined a Glorious Union of nations!

Let's get back to badges, some of the most impressive being Scottish!

Andy
Old 19-09-14, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffMJ View Post
Peter

I am "British".....I claim being Welsh because that is where I was brought up, educated and my fathers line comes from. BUT...... I am on my mothers side ...English (West Dean, East Sussex), then Scottish (Baidlands, Nr. Dalry, Ayrshire) .... then Irish (Crawfordsburn, Co Bangor).

Most of us who claim to be one thing in this Great Isle..... will find out that in reality we are a good mix of everything (Even the Sweatiest of Socks)
Some of my ancestors were French........I'll get my coat
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 20-09-14, 08:01 AM

It's looking more and more to me the only answer to all the regions needs is a Federal system.......god help us as I lived in a Federal system for 19 years and nothing gets done in the end to the majorities likes.
Old 20-09-14, 08:19 AM
LYPAO Boff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
Some of my ancestors were French........I'll get my coat
Lee
Lee

Well the East Sussex side of me came over with the Normans ..... like I say....its surprising how diverse you are when you look into it

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro
Old 20-09-14, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
It's looking more and more to me the only answer to all the regions needs is a Federal system.......god help us as I lived in a Federal system for 19 years and nothing gets done in the end to the majorities likes.
We don't need a federal system or anything else, what we have is perfectly workable, the English regions were asked if the wanted devolution and said no, the demand by politicians is simply to get more jobs for the boys. What we need is less political muck stirrers concentrating on the things that the majority want. Politicians should follow allow change to happen , as it always will do, rather than try to force change for the sake of change.
Old 20-09-14, 09:14 AM

Quote:

I'm so proud to be British. All sorted in a clean peaceful democratic process, without any question on it's validity.

Elsewhere in the world it end's up with burning tires, riots and AK 47's popping off.

A shinning example to the world.

Simon.
Ooops, might have spoken too soon looking at the news this morning
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 20-09-14, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
Ooops, might have spoken too soon looking at the news this morning
Lee
Nah, that'll end up with a good old fashioned alcohol induced punch up, a good Scottish tradition...... the only offensive thing thrown will be a month old Haggis......
Old 20-09-14, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
THANK GOD THAT COMMON SENSE PREVAILED! ��
I am so in agreement with you. I wasn't able to post yesterday as I was incapacitated but the memsahib and I actually breathed a huge sigh of relief, even more so when we heard that the self appointed "President of Scotland" has resigned. I see that as the death knell of the SNP because his likely successor is Nicola Sturgeon and she has about as much personality as her namesake. It's my prediction that the SNP will self destruct over the next five years.

What saddened me most about the Yes campaign was the very fact they were confident enough to hold it. They actually thought they had the upper hand.

Now they've lost it sends a message to the rest of the UK that all the member countries wish to stay in the union - no matter what any loud-mouth says.

Speaking of loud-mouths I was considerably disappointed by the outbursts made by Hardeep Singh Kohli on the BBC's coverage of the referendum. The moment it became clear that his beloved campaign had failed he started mouthing off about a "campaign of fear" run by the Better Together lobby and by the unionist parties. All sorts of accusations came out of his mouth to the extent that I wondered had he never heard of the expression "sour grapes." Did anybody else see/hear that?

Did anyone notice too that the three "Yes vote" areas were in what I would call "The Buckfast Belt?"
Old 20-09-14, 01:23 PM

So I should have said " a Buckfest induced punch up"..........

That's a new one on me, never heard of Buckfest before. I had to look it up.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/an...feine-into-it/

Simon
Old 20-09-14, 01:37 PM

Quote:
So I should have said " a Buckfest induced punch up"..........

That's a new one on me, never heard of Buckfest before. I had to look it up.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/an...feine-into-it/

Simon
Seems like it has happened already. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-29288249

When I see the term "Loyalist Regalia" mentioned I always know there's a wee bottle of Buckie in their back pockets.

This helps create that strange paradoxical being who is the Scottish Loyalist and who saves all his money to travel to Belfast in order to take part in the Orange Walk every year but when he comes homes demands Scottish Independence in the (vain) hope that national independence will mean more "bru" (dole) money.

These are the very same people who voted overwhelmingly for Labour in the first Scottish Parliament but when they didn't get their just rewards (in fact got less dole money) immediately switched their allegiance to the SNP.
Old 20-09-14, 03:39 PM

There are Orange Walks in Glasgow you know.

http://www.change.org/p/councillor-g...k-from-glasgow

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 20-09-14, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
There are Orange Walks in Glasgow you know.

http://www.change.org/p/councillor-g...k-from-glasgow
Thanks for bringing that up Mike. My comments were based on the fact that everyone would already know but in retrospect I suppose not everyone would.

There are Orange Walks in many parts of Scotland, mostly in the former mining villages of the central belt where many people with Glasgow and Irish origins live. These are extremely sectarian places, just as bad as Govan or the London Road. There are even Orange Lodges in Edinburgh although I think they (along with the Connolly Society) were persuaded by the Provost to stop "walking" because of the trouble they attracted.

I should say (if I haven't before) that I lived in Edinburgh and surrounding district for 20 years. The memsahib comes from Currie.

PS: Although my comments about the "Buckie" were directed at Scots Loyalists I should point out that the drink is equally popular with their NI counterparts who (surprisingly) bring their own supplies when then visit Scotland as they say "the stuff you buy there doesn't taste the same." A remarkable comment as it's all brewed in Devon!
Old 20-09-14, 07:24 PM

My wife hails from Stockbridge, and I lived in Devon for a while.

Ah 'Buckfast Tonic Wine' made by Monks for Scottish Alkies LoL

Devon's most secret export

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 20-09-14, 07:59 PM

They march in the north-west of England too.

Here are the Liverpool area LOL on their annual seaside jaunt to Southport.

I am told that most of the shops close, and that only the pubs stay open

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNprbTr_eCg