British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-10-19, 10:04 PM

Default Bronze badges

Hi, I’m pretty new to cap badges with my focus on officer cap badges. I have just purchased Kipling and king’s vol 1&2. I’m still getting used to navigating my way round the two books, what I have noticed is that at least a couple of the bronze badges I have don’t seem to be listed as having bronze versions. Two examples are a West Yorkshire badge and a Liverpool Kings badge. Does the fact it’s not listed mean that these are not genuine or does K&k not list every variant?

Apologies if this is a silly question.

Thanks in Advance
Old 31-10-19, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Ronions, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts. Lots of knowledgeable members to assist.
Old 31-10-19, 05:32 AM

K&K are excellent references but not totally infallible. Both badges you mentioned do have bronze versions.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 31-10-19, 03:43 PM

K&K only scratch the surface ! I only collect King's badges and - though I am away from my catalogue - there are about 7 1896 officer dies and about 12 1926 officer dies - S&G and OSD.
Old 31-10-19, 04:24 PM

By the way, welcome to the forum.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 31-10-19, 08:38 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome, and it’s reassuring to hear that there are bronze versions. If k&k is not 100% complete what do you recommend to get to grips with the different variants that are available without inadvertently purchasing badges that aren’t genuine?
Old 31-10-19, 09:11 PM

ditto !
Old 01-11-19, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronions View Post
Thank you for the warm welcome, and it’s reassuring to hear that there are bronze versions. If k&k is not 100% complete what do you recommend to get to grips with the different variants that are available without inadvertently purchasing badges that aren’t genuine?
Ask the forum!
There are no references which are 100% complete or accurate. Unfortunately after many mistakes over the years, it is only experience which is the best reference. Guys here are always willing to help.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 01-11-19, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronions View Post
As a rough guide, all the WW1 OR’s regular army in KK had bronze equivalents with the exception of The Hampshire and Lincolnshire Regiments as well as I think all the Scottish Regiments who wore white metal or silver badges. The KRRC badge was blackened. The Lincolnshire and Hampshire Officer’s patterns were different altogether.

Apologies if I’ve missed any, I’m doing it from memory.
Old 01-11-19, 06:38 PM

Thank you all for responses, I will make sure I post any queries on the forum