British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-04-22, 08:32 PM

Agree with Luke recently obtained a very very rare plastic A D C on BLADES been after one for approx 48 years
David
Old 28-04-22, 01:37 PM

Well, I am quite surprised that you're suggesting that all of my RA badges are the same, I must admit that I do like badges in pairs, but that's not always been possible. My RA display is in rows of eleven, apart from the bottom row of fourteen beret badges, every single one of those being different from the next.

The other rows consist of Volunteer, Territorial and Regular, Officers and ORs, bronze, white metal, gilding metal and brass badges, and gilded, silver, nickel and chrome plated ones, long sliders, short sliders, loops and brooch pins, fixed and moving wheels, 1916 and 1917 versions. There are different maker marks in different places, two blades, three and four blades, one officers, silver, Volunteers, badge even has six.

I still don't particularly want to add any biodegradeable badges that really need to be kept in the dark to the aforementioned collection of many "different" badges, even if they were free! I haven't even yet mentioned pouch badges, different laurel wreaths and every form of collar badge that there ever was. All the same, my a***!!!

Last edited by thursdaychris; 28-04-22 at 07:05 PM.
Old 28-04-22, 05:04 PM

Royal Artillery Plastic £350, ish! Then there is the Maltese Artillery ( even more expensive, don’t know that one?)

As for the Artillery badges topping 100+ well if you count New Zealand, Australian, Indian, Ceylon, and Rhodesian, South African and all the others (Canada!) Officer’s and other Ranks I can see it topping over that figure, BUT!
I know you’re going to say the 100+ is only British aren’t you?

A photo would be nice, if you would! One question though, why do you require two of each variants?

All the best Billy
Old 28-04-22, 05:59 PM

Hello Billy, I'm not sure what you're wanting a photo of, I don't have any plastic RA badges. I guess that every collector does their own thing, but personally whatever I have collected over the years, I want it on display, where I can see it. I have had stuff in drawers, but usually only because I've run out of wall space. I probably should also add that the 100+ badges are KC British only, of course!

I think that badges in pairs make a more pleasing display, I try to have a central badge, one that I've only ever been able to find one of, perhaps. I then have one badge from each pair on either side, and so on, until I reach the sides of the frame.

Each row in the frame, ideally, needs to be different, with my RA display the most enjoyable part was searching for and finding every possible variation, to put in each row. The 1916 Economy and the 1917 Strengthened were quite interesting, there are so many different types, I have one pair that are a combination of both types, and the centrepiece, maker marked, 1917 version, was a very good find.

Last edited by thursdaychris; 28-04-22 at 07:09 PM.
Old 28-04-22, 07:06 PM

The Hundred Artillery Pieces on Parade!
Old 28-04-22, 09:36 PM

Ah! You must mean this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12684.JPG (90.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 28-04-22, 10:06 PM

It’s an impressive display Chris and I’m not deriding what you’ve done.

A great many of those will be pattern 5702/1902 (standard KC Arty) whether they’re dipped in nickel, chrome or treacle, have a blank or maker marked slider, replacement pin back etc. they’re still ostensibly the same pattern badge. Ditto makers variations in that respect.

Again that’s not deriding them as there’s certain regiments I collect variants for. Rather I was saying my personal preference is to have the run of badges from 1902 to 1952, which as I only collect OR’s is about 7 badges.

Albeit oddities like this one do turn up…
Old 29-04-22, 07:30 AM

Yes, Luke, I am rather interested in the oddity you have shown, I have been looking at a couple of similar badges for quite some time. The search still goes on, and I am quite happy to discard any RA Variant that I have more than one of, and replace it with another that is different in some other way

I have attached pics of the two badges in question, the first one is described as an RA Volunteers Officer's silver plated badge, and has two loops at the bottom.
The second is the white metal version with three loops similar to the one you have shown.

I have, as yet, made no attempt to add these to the collection, as I thought they might be a bit iffy, what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC12623.JPG (35.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12624.JPG (28.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12625.JPG (33.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12626.JPG (20.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12627.JPG (35.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12628.JPG (33.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SDC12666.JPG (24.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 29-04-22, 08:02 AM

Morning Chris, the second badge is definitely an iffy one, the first one is also i think but others more in the know will confirm I'm sure.

Gerard
Old 29-04-22, 08:24 AM

I can confirm that neither are original badges.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 29-04-22, 09:14 AM

Many thanks, chaps, I thought so, I must be gradually getting the hang of all this!
Old 29-04-22, 05:44 PM

The Orb sits above the Crown rather than within! All the best Billy