British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-03-22, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Well, I found this video. It is indeed dismal and even approaches some of the worst in the US! I was unaware of such areas in London.
Graffiti is a world wide disease which I cannot understand. We have no blighted areas in San Francisco such as this and other cities in the US, but graffiti has of late been more visible.
Indeed, the country villages in the UK are beautiful beyond description from what I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qI-sKmvu0Y

CB
That’s hilarious. I work in Hackney Wick. The bits show with the graffiti is one of the trendiest parts of London now. Flat prices round there are through the roof and it’s very desirable around Whitepost Lane. The ‘street art’ on the walls is part of the Boho ambience that attracts those who find Shoreditch too mainstream now.

Believe me whoever went on that walk didn’t go anywhere near the many parts of Hackney which I would class as potentially dangerous. They very much stuck to the main roads in a trendy part of town. That video is not what it says on the tin and shows how YouTube and other social media can easily give the wrong impression (intentionally or not).
Old 30-03-22, 04:07 PM

Yes, the "billing" that is not what it may be in reality. There is this video of Philadelphia which is heavily populated and a vision of hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YShDiDyYqMw

CB
Old 30-03-22, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
That’s hilarious. I work in Hackney Wick. The bits show with the graffiti is one of the trendiest parts of London now. Flat prices round there are through the roof and it’s very desirable around Whitepost Lane. The ‘street art’ on the walls is part of the Boho ambience that attracts those who find Shoreditch too mainstream now.

Believe me whoever went on that walk didn’t go anywhere near the many parts of Hackney which I would class as potentially dangerous. They very much stuck to the main roads in a trendy part of town. That video is not what it says on the tin and shows how YouTube and other social media can easily give the wrong impression (intentionally or not).
Couldn’t agree more.
Old 30-03-22, 07:28 PM

What was Hackney like in the old days of the 10th Hackney? Most of the buildings seem to be industrial.

CB
Old 30-03-22, 07:51 PM

The 10th ceased to be in 1938 so very different in every sense from geographic to demographic.

In 1965 the metropolitan borough of Shoreditch and metropolitan borough of Stoke Newington were merged into Hackney so it in effect expanded.

Historically in the late 1500-1700s Hackney was a well to do sub-urban area. That changed drastically in the 1800s as London expanded. By the turn of the last century Hackney was a mix of residential and industrial. Mostly the former.

It was subject to two ‘slum clearances’ one pre-WW2 and another in the 1950s and 1960s which cost the area much of its Georgian and Victorian housing.

The Luftwaffe also played their role in forcing new developments upon the area.
http://bombsight.org/explore/greater-london/hackney/

Postwar it took a long time to recover. Just prior to the millennium with the London property bubble developing it was one of the few affordable places to buy a house. The desirability however snowballed and now it is seeing gentrification.

It is a fascinating area and the place I call home.

Some sites showing the changes below…

https://www.mylondon.news/news/nosta...e-22617581.amp

Historic video here, one of the first promoting new-look social housing in 1935:
https://www.londonsscreenarchives.org.uk/title/241/

https://municipaldreams.wordpress.co...03/08/hackney/
Old 30-03-22, 07:55 PM

Also Hackney was one of the first areas of London to have been bombed by Germany in WW1
Old 30-03-22, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb64 View Post
Also Hackney was one of the first areas of London to have been bombed by Germany in WW1
Alkham Road I believe which was technically Stoke Newington borough in WW1 but is now indeed Hackney.
Old 30-03-22, 11:46 PM

Thanks for that Luke, a fascinating revelation for me of an old part of London. I hate to hear of the clearings that occurred in the 60s and 70s throughout the UK, as so many historical areas and their architecture disappeared, only to be replaced with soulless structures not deserving the term architecture.
BTW, I had to notice the stewed eels and mashed shop. A London delicacy I just cannot envisage ever trying, unless perhaps very well oiled with London's best.

CB

Last edited by cbuehler; 30-03-22 at 11:52 PM.
Old 31-03-22, 06:11 AM

I place an online order with one of the old established London pie and mash shops a few weeks ago to inflict on an American visitor.

Absolute rubbish stuff, the pies (allegedly of good quality nowadays compared to the rat offal and sawdust of the old, traditional ones) were flavourless and short on filling, the parsley sauce "liquor" was flavourless wallpaper paste, the mash just flavourless goo (the chilli vinegar was what it said on the bottle).
Surprisingly the most acceptable part of the lot were the supermarket bought jellied eels.

The American victim survived the ordeal and said he liked the stuff (and the award for best actor goes to......) but it was absolute rubbish, Ye Olde English pie and mash shops of Ye Olde London Towne presumably find their market in tourists and Londoners determined to show that despite the penthouse and Jaaaaag they're dodgy geezers 'cos they had a cockerney grandad.
Old 31-03-22, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
I place an online order with one of the old established London pie and mash shops a few weeks ago to inflict on an American visitor.

Absolute rubbish stuff, the pies (allegedly of good quality nowadays compared to the rat offal and sawdust of the old, traditional ones) were flavourless and short on filling, the parsley sauce "liquor" was flavourless wallpaper paste, the mash just flavourless goo (the chilli vinegar was what it said on the bottle).
Surprisingly the most acceptable part of the lot were the supermarket bought jellied eels.

The American victim survived the ordeal and said he liked the stuff (and the award for best actor goes to......) but it was absolute rubbish, Ye Olde English pie and mash shops of Ye Olde London Towne presumably find their market in tourists and Londoners determined to show that despite the penthouse and Jaaaaag they're dodgy geezers 'cos they had a cockerney grandad.
I personally wouldn't eat pie 'n' mash if my life depended on it. Just the thought of it makes my stomach apply for divorce.

A work colleague of mine swears by a certain pie 'n' mash shop in (or very close to) Tower Bridge Road. I don't know it personally, and being a bona fide Londoner doesn't especially qualify him at a genetic level to decide what is and isn't good or bad when it comes to so-called traditional London grub. You pays your money and takes your choice, and as we all know, there's no accounting for taste.

Then there's your Banglatown with street after street after street of Indian restaurants. In fact, not too long ago a few of the forum pals went for a nosh up in Brick Lane. Is this London grub? I suppose it is.

(Apologies... going a bit off-piste there).

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 31-03-22 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Typo correction