British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-01-22, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrikes-ok View Post
Think the badge would have looked slightly better if they had put it in a circle or wreath and crown.
Thing is, it's the horrid metal it's made from.
We visited a castle in Wales, my daughter's bought me a novelty pencil sharpener cannon, it's very similar metal!
Chris
Old 13-01-22, 11:00 PM

I must say the UK and government have done a horrible job in maintaining the Army's as an historical and traditional entity in recent times. I understand things change in this world and funding is a problem.
Not to compare or suggest necessarily suggest anything, but here in the US we have managed to maintain most of our Army units as continuing entities going back to well over 200 years. Much insignia is still in use that goes back to WW1.
I am sure something could have been done better than this wholesale slaughter of the old British Army?

CB
Old 13-01-22, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
I must say the UK and government have done a horrible job in maintaining the Army's as an historical and traditional entity in recent times. I understand things change in this world and funding is a problem.
Not to compare or suggest necessarily suggest anything, but here in the US we have managed to maintain most of our Army units as continuing entities going back to well over 200 years. Much insignia is still in use that goes back to WW1.
I am sure something could have been done better than this wholesale slaughter of the old British Army?

CB
Much easier to maintain ‘most’ Army units and historical sentiments on the well funded $705.39 billion US defence budget.

Here we march to the beat of a different (cheaper) drum.
Old 21-01-23, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderer View Post
This not a Special Forces Unit per-say, what they the MOD have done is: Disband after only 16 years of service, 1 SCOTS (Royal Scots Borderers) The Royal Regiment of Scotland and all their joint history and insignia.

There was once what was known as the 'Golden Thread' a link between The Royal Scots and The King's Own Scottish Borderers, who were amalgamated to form 1SCOTS (Royal Scots Borderers) a joint 373 years of service to the Crown with both having never in their joint history been amalgamated before, but now it is all gone, the cap badge may as well have been a Parrot rather than some modern Third Reich looking badge.

They were then reformed on 30 November 2021 as 1st Battalion The Ranger Regiment (ironically it was not lost on us Scots it was on St Andrews Day of all days), they are one of four in this Special Operations Brigade and expected to operate, with allies to counter extremists and hostile states.

PS: Please note it is 'The Ranger Battalion' and not Rangers this is a football team and they are not soldiers.

Hiram
For good reasons or bad the Scots Regiments make themselves obvious places to look when force reductions come about. The Scots love their regiments but seem very reluctant to join which, is why the undermanned Scots regiments have such a high proportion of Fijians and some used to have Gurkha companies to bolster the numbers.
Old 22-01-23, 07:55 PM

Are there any "Ranger Regiment" collar badges, and buttons, or are the old ones being retained?
Marc
Old 22-01-23, 09:25 PM

Marc,
That is a very good question. For 1 SCOTS will there be retention of kilts, sporrans and cutaway No2 Dress jackets etc. All the constituent regiments have variations in rank badges and officers crowns and pips. What about mess dress? Noting that any soldier can apply to be selected for the RANGERS is a standardised uniform other than a beret and cap badge even needed?

Has anyone seen any recent official documentation like minutes of Army Dress Committee meetings, JSP768 additions or Dress Regulations?

Tim
Old 23-01-23, 11:31 AM

We don’t need the old British Army to fight modern wars. Change in the Army has been about since Cardwell indeed before. We may not agree with it but adapting to the threat is essential if the Army is to help defend the nation. I don’t believe for one minute that recent changes affect the fighting ability of the British soldier forged as they are through training that builds fighting teams. If you doubt what I say look only to what Soldiers, Royal Marines, RAF and others did in intense combat in Iraq and Afghanistan.

QUOTE=cbuehler;570013]I must say the UK and government have done a horrible job in maintaining the Army's as an historical and traditional entity in recent times. I understand things change in this world and funding is a problem.

CB[/QUOTE]
Old 23-01-23, 02:34 PM

It seems to me that the “Fifth Column” well emplaced in Westminster are achieving what the Kaiser and Hitler could not! D.J.
Old 12-02-23, 08:13 PM

https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-eve...ent-cap-badge/

Total rubbish. Looks like something from my son's war hammer. Maybe it's a reject Johnny Combat badge?
Based on the loyal 'peregrine' falcon. Rubbish. Like the gunmetal grey belt and beret that go with it based on the falcons plumage.
Frankly, I doubt the Americans would have this badge.
As for the modern British Army......... it's too sad for words.
Billyh
Old 13-02-23, 01:38 AM

Saw my first listed at £25! I'd like one just because it's a new badge, but I'll wait and see what the prices do.

Terry
Old 13-02-23, 08:30 AM

You can buy them from firmin/snaith boxed for that