British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-04-19, 08:44 AM

Default 255 Signal Squadron Patch

An overseas gentleman has asked me if the patch shown in the attachment was from Qatar. It is in fact a cloth patch worn by Royal Signals of 255 Signal Sqn, and perhaps others. The patch I used to have came from a close friend who served in that unit but it was not felt like the one shown. It was a linen type cloth patch. Is the one shown here a fake? Also I would be keen to know when the patch, which has Arabic script stating Al Haliq meaning The Gulf, was first issued, and I presume the end of the patch was 1971.
Any help much appreciated
Quicksilver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190423_084427.jpg (26.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 255 Signal Sqn.jpg (98.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 24-04-19, 10:00 AM

Worn also for British troops in Sharjah 1970.
Old 24-04-19, 12:48 PM

I believe the correct title (in 1960) of the HQ and formation was "Land Forces Persian Gulf". The Arabic reads "khaleej" (Gulf). As British Forces in Guld contracted, so fewer and fewer will have worn this sign.
Old 24-04-19, 03:57 PM

From my book Badges on Battle Dress

Jon

A sign for HQ Local Land Forces, Persian Gulf, its design said to represent ‘Al Khalij’ Arabic for ‘The Gulf’ to be worn by all troops in the Persian Gulf area - HQ Troops, the Trucial Oman Scouts and possibly by the British battalion in the area - was originally requested by GHQ, Middle East Land Forces in June 1957 . Acknowledging that a long term review of formation signs was under way, GHQ asked for immediate approval which the War Office transmitted to Middle East Land Forces on 18th September 1957. In 1959 a permanent British HQ, Land Forces Persian Gulf was established in Bahrain with responsibility for Kuwait, the Trucial Oman States (later the United Arab Emirates) and the Sultanate of Muscat and Oman.

On 7th March 1959 a further request for the design first applied for in 1957, now described as the sign for Land Forces, Persian Gulf was submitted. Told that the sign would be worn by HQ Land Forces, Persian Gulf, the detached infantry battalion in Bahrain, the Armoured Car Squadron and any British troops permanently detached to Oman it was approved on 9th July 1959. Admitting that the sign could not be made in Aden, the submission asked for a quote from The Calico Printers Association. A third request for the sign in January 1964 noting that ‘it is understood to be War Office policy that formation signs shall no longer be worn’ was firmly rebutted; ‘It is not War Office policy that formation signs should no longer be worn. However as a consequence of a ruling that they will not be worn on either No 2 Dress or Combat Dress, there is no uniform in temperate climates on which they can be worn’. Assured that they could indeed wear signs HQ Land Forces, Persian Gulf noted that those wearing theirs included the HQ Staff, 255 Signal Squadron and 65th Station Workshops, REME. After Britain withdrew from Aden in September 1967 HQ LFPG, effectively successor to Middle East Land Forces, became the hub of British defence commitments in the area from its main base at Sharjah.
Old 24-04-19, 07:10 PM

Default Land Forces Persian Gulf

Thank you both for your detailed replies. From that I understand that all personnel in Bahrain wore the patch including 255 Signal Squadron and there were different manufacturers. Therefore the patch is probably genuine. I will on-pass your comments. Again thank you.
Quicksilver