British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-02-20, 05:29 AM

Default Just A thought

Hello Troops,
Most of us would have the basic badges to what ever Regiment we collect.
Just a thought, if you have a badge with a slider, would you go for one with lugs? Also if you have a badge that is die struck, would you go for one that is die cast?
Regards Terry
Old 05-02-20, 06:21 AM

Yes I would, and do. Lugs/sliders/tabs/screw posts/rivets/glued on/brooch fittings/holes drilled in for sewing/clasp/clutch fitting all on the anodised royal Anglian badge.
Old 05-02-20, 07:12 AM

Yes. Once I had what I thought were the main variants, I then went on to pick up anything that was a little out of the ordinary and then badges related to the main theme.
Old 05-02-20, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
Yes I would, and do. Lugs/sliders/tabs/screw posts/rivets/glued on/brooch fittings/holes drilled in for sewing/clasp/clutch fitting all on the anodised royal Anglian badge.
I would do the same and I do. Plus blades

Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 05-02-20, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

I have a collection of lugged Victorian cavalry and infantry badges and then a collection of WW1 era cavalry and infantry badges. Some have different crowns or design but a few are the same design but with different fixings. I am happy to have the duplication for display purposes of the sets but otherwise would not collect a duplicate badge if the fixings were the same. I would keep a badge with minor manufacturer variances of voids and dates.
Old 07-02-20, 10:15 AM

I saw this interesting thread the oher day but didn't have time to contribute until now.

I collect “cap badges” of the King’s – from 1881 to 1958/1967 – officers, ORs, regular, Volunteer Bns, TF/A Bns,wartime units, LUOTC, etc. I define cap as the Glengarry cap, Torin Cap, Field Service Cap, Peaked Cap, Beret, Irish Caubeen and Scottish Glengarry.

I am trying to collate all known badges of each Pattern, type, variation, official and unofficial, derivative and copy, as well as any conversions, adaptions, repairs, imperfections, patina, ‘graffiti’(such as added numbers or names) and wear. Details such as voided or unpierced hooves and legs and, of course, different fixings; blades, loops and sliders and so on.

I have 381 so far but I think there are about another 30 badges that I know about though hitherto unknown variations appear every now and again. I have maintained a detailed catalogue with discrete ‘accession numbers’. I’m in the middle of writing a book about these badges (I deliberately restricted it to ‘cap badges’ – I don’t think I’ll live long enough to do all the rest, HP, collar, belt plates etc etc – but I hope someone will pick it up for subsequent volumes). The collection itself forms a research dataset which informs the main text of the book. It would be nice to collect the other 30 odd – but I would be happy to use decent photographs, both sides, with measurements and weights from other collectors or museums.

(It’s been a good day for pedants – see the excellent ‘provenance’ thread !)

Last edited by KLR; 07-02-20 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-02-20, 11:47 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Talking

As my user name would imply, I collect any and every thing related to the 17th Lancers and therefore the 17th/21st Lancers, Queens Royal Lancers and the Royal Lancers. This extends to Lance Cap plates, a sabretache, a Czapka, 2 regimental swords, Sterling Silver ex officers mess cutlery, a walking cane, medals and anything else with a Motto on it. With lots of help from my friends on the Badge Forum.

Why limit your self just to cap badges, go for broke. And you will !!

Regards

Phil.
Old 07-02-20, 05:43 PM

When I was a boy I collected everything there was. Firstly all Lancashire regiment badges - then they went, then I collected only KLR but then collars buttons etc went and now it's just cap badges !

Last edited by KLR; 11-02-20 at 04:47 PM.