British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-10-11, 07:23 AM
Mr. Jackanory

My question therefore is whether Groves is wearing a Robin Hood Rifles cap badge. I have studied it with care but cannot make out the badge and it seems to have scrolls around the wreath like some of the Rifle brigade/london Regiment badges. I am pleasantly mystified.
Matti
Old 20-10-11, 07:31 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
My question therefore is whether Groves is wearing a Robin Hood Rifles cap badge. I have studied it with care but cannot make out the badge and it seems to have scrolls around the wreath like some of the Rifle brigade/london Regiment badges. I am pleasantly mystified.
Matti
Hello Matti,

Whilst not the clearest of badge images, it is clear enough to see no evidence of a Maltese Cross. Then again, my eyesight is getting progressively worse .

RFC.jpg

PJ

Last edited by Peter J; 20-10-11 at 08:01 AM.
Old 20-10-11, 08:01 AM
Mr. Jackanory

Agreed Peter, however, is it RFC in the middle? Not being awkward, just curious...
Matti
Old 20-10-11, 08:02 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Agreed Peter, however, is it RFC in the middle? Not being awkward, just curious...
Matti
Trouble-maker
Old 20-10-11, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Hi Andy,

I do appreciate that the military museums must at times be inundated with requests for details of former members of the units that they represent and understand that many of these could become tiresome. I do feel though that if someone has a genuine enquiry and has made the effort do as much research as possible prior to a request then they could be helped. The proposed electronic archive and faces recognition facility that the RM Museum are proposing for the future sound like the way forward and I hope that in time that other military museums will be keen to follow their lead.

As for your Grandad, I would imagine that the wound he carried for the rest of his life was a reminder of his relative good fortune. I'm sure that countless young men had their illusions shattered in no uncertain terms and carried the memories with them for life. My Mrs's G' Grandad was the sole survivor of a particular unit action early in the war as a 16 year old, he survived the war but was haunted until the day he died by the horrors that he endured.

Regards

Ry
Hi Ry,
Exactly as you say, although every person who is researching should be entitled to some sort of effort I was particularly dismayed at their complete non-effort as not only was my Great-Grandfather the main Insutructor of Musketry there, his Father-in-Law (Great-Great-Grandfather!) was a colour-Sergeant at Forton who then went on to work at Haslar. Add to this one Great-Uncle who was RMLI & another RMA in WWI there should have been something!!!
In regard to survival of WWI, we have other family members who survived but only just (one luckily survived being shot through the eye as the bullet passed out through the back of his neck as he had his head tilted & missed his brain thankfully, another survived a mustard gas attack on the Eastern Front but was slightly deranged after that!)
Anyway, digressing too much from your original question - a good point made above about the Hants terrotorials being connected to the RFC. Any idea where the photo shown originated?

Cheers....Andy
Old 20-10-11, 08:34 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossack View Post
Hi Ry,
Exactly as you say, although every person who is researching should be entitled to some sort of effort I was particularly dismayed at their complete non-effort as not only was my Great-Grandfather the main Insutructor of Musketry there, his Father-in-Law (Great-Great-Grandfather!) was a colour-Sergeant at Forton who then went on to work at Haslar. Add to this one Great-Uncle who was RMLI & another RMA in WWI there should have been something!!!
In regard to survival of WWI, we have other family members who survived but only just (one luckily survived being shot through the eye as the bullet passed out through the back of his neck as he had his head tilted & missed his brain thankfully, another survived a mustard gas attack on the Eastern Front but was slightly deranged after that!)
Anyway, digressing too much from your original question - a good point made above about the Hants terrotorials being connected to the RFC. Any idea where the photo shown originated?

Cheers....Andy
Hello Andy,

If I may answer this last question for you:

http://www.isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk/photos.htm (about a third of the way down the page).

Regards,

Peter.
Old 20-10-11, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Hello Andy,

If I may answer this last question for you:

http://www.isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk/photos.htm (about a third of the way down the page).

Regards,

Peter.
Thanks Peter! Makes more sense now
regards....Andy
Old 20-10-11, 09:08 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Thanks Peter! Makes more sense now
regards....Andy
Andy,

Given the accompanying text in the link, it does not take a huge leap of the imagination to conclude that this photo could quite easily be the 'wrong' Reggie. The current owner freely admits that they do not know for sure who the subject is, stating:

'from my grandmother's effects - she was Blanche Emily Moores nee Fielder.

(1) This photo is of a Reggie Groves thought to be an Island man as I have GROVES in my family tree but as yet cannot find Reggie in it. Does anyone recognise or know of him?'

The name on the photo is the only clue to his identity. It is more than possible that the two Reggies were related, hence the reason it was originally in the possession someone known to be related to the 1/8th Reggie.

Perhaps the current owner has no knowledge of the RFC Reggie, and (if unaware of the 'wrong' cap badge issue) understandably concludes that it is the 1/8th man.

PJ
Old 20-10-11, 09:23 AM
Mr. Jackanory

his reminds me of two important lessons I learnt. The first as a post grad research student under the guidance of Professor M C E Jones. He warned me never to make a presumption if the evidence didn't support it totally. In this case i said that Alan the Red, Duke of Brittany was at the Battle of Hastings, he may have been but we have no evidence and can name 25(?) who were there.
Secondly, don't trust war memorials. My good friend Morag is part of a team who are doing on going research into Britiain's war memorials and there is no hard and fast rule as to why names are on them. Even within Lutterworth and Lutterworth High School we have names that are untraceable and names that are ambiguous.
Matti
Old 20-10-11, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Andy,

Given the accompanying text in the link, it does not take a huge leap of the imagination to conclude that this photo could quite easily be the 'wrong' Reggie. The current owner freely admits that they do not know for sure who the subject is, stating:

'from my grandmother's effects - she was Blanche Emily Moores nee Fielder.

(1) This photo is of a Reggie Groves thought to be an Island man as I have GROVES in my family tree but as yet cannot find Reggie in it. Does anyone recognise or know of him?'

The name on the photo is the only clue to his identity. It is more than possible that the two Reggies were related, hence the reason it was originally in the possession someone known to be related to the 1/8th Reggie.

Perhaps the current owner has no knowledge of the RFC Reggie, and (if unaware of the 'wrong' cap badge issue) understandably concludes that it is the 1/8th man.

PJ
Hi PJ,
Yep it is very easy to mis-construe the basic evidence when presented with it. As you say, it could be the other 'Reggie' but maybe they will never know for sure. If only there was more info written on photos like these we would all have more of a chance with the i.d.'s but at the time they probably didn't realise the significance of the pictures for future generations. I have seen myself in our old family photos people wrongly identified (the son's name written on the back whereas it is in fact a photo of the father & so on!)
Andy
Old 20-10-11, 09:28 AM
Peter J

Quote:
his reminds me of two important lessons I learnt. The first as a post grad research student under the guidance of Professor M C E Jones. He warned me never to make a presumption if the evidence didn't support it totally. In this case i said that Alan the Red, Duke of Brittany was at the Battle of Hastings, he may have been but we have no evidence and can name 25(?) who were there.
Secondly, don't trust war memorials. My good friend Morag is part of a team who are doing on going research into Britiain's war memorials and there is no hard and fast rule as to why names are on them. Even within Lutterworth and Lutterworth High School we have names that are untraceable and names that are ambiguous.
Matti
I completely agree, Matti. This is a basic tenet of research and something which (if not adhered to) can wreak havoc.

Regards,

Peter.
Old 20-10-11, 09:38 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Hi PJ,
Yep it is very easy to mis-construe the basic evidence when presented with it. As you say, it could be the other 'Reggie' but maybe they will never know for sure. If only there was more info written on photos like these we would all have more of a chance with the i.d.'s but at the time they probably didn't realise the significance of the pictures for future generations. I have seen myself in our old family photos people wrongly identified (the son's name written on the back whereas it is in fact a photo of the father & so on!)
Andy
Very true, Andy; I have seen this many times.

One poor woman who contacted me through a genealogy website, in the belief that we were related, was absolutely devastated to learn that the research she had carried out on my branch of the family turned out to be a waste of several years hard graft. She had based her research on some slightly incorrect info she was given by another researcher, which consequently led along a completely wrong path.

It turned out that all the ancestors from whom she had thought she was descended (not to mention the rich history that went with them) were not her relatives after all. Within the space of four emails, she had been relegated back to square one, and her years of research rendered worthless. This included photographs of people she had believed for years were her great grandparents, etc.

I cannot tell you how gutted I was to have to point out where the mistake in her considerable hard work had occurred. Horrible!

PJ

Last edited by Peter J; 20-10-11 at 09:49 AM.
Old 20-10-11, 10:08 AM

In recent years any type of research has been made more difficult by the introduction of the computer, which has also become the essential research tool.

All official records were hand written but to upgrade to computer they had to be typed in by humans.

Hand writing can be difficult to read, and the person entering the information types in what they think was written.

That is why so many names and dates are entered incorrectly causing confusion or a break in the thread for future researchers.
Old 20-10-11, 10:13 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
In recent years any type of research has been made more difficult by the introduction of the computer, which has also become the essential research tool.

All official records were hand written but to upgrade to computer they had to be typed in by humans.

Hand writing can be difficult to read, and the person entering the information types in what they think was written.

That is why so many names and dates are entered incorrectly causing confusion or a break in the thread for future researchers.
Another good point, rendered all the more problematic by those who subscribe to the school of thought of: 'I read it on the internet, therefore it must be true'.

Peter.
Old 20-10-11, 10:29 AM
Mr. Jackanory

This is reminicent of a Medieval problem, monks transcribing documents by hand in cold drafty scriptorium and losing whole texts of Greek plays and philosophy. Amusing to think it still happens in this technological age. That reminds me, isn't the new washing machine due by now?
Matti