British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-04-08, 06:43 PM

Default Bandsman

I also picked up this badge on the weekend. I don't have any reference on bandsman badges and am wondering if this is WW1 or WW2. thanks
Old 21-04-08, 07:01 PM
Banned

THAT badge qualifys for the 1910-1936 period had a long usage

PAUL
Old 21-04-08, 07:19 PM

Paul... once again .. thanks. I'm happy it's pre WW2 and I doubt if I'll be able to upgrade it as it's in excellent condition.
Old 21-04-08, 10:33 PM

I'd say the wreath of maple leaves marks this as a later piece; possibly even post WWII.
Old 22-04-08, 03:53 AM
Banned

No way is this post WW11 sorry much earlier that brass back plate is diagnostic of pre 36 trades badges

PAUL
Old 22-04-08, 06:58 PM

Any chance someone can post an example from pre 1910... 1937-53 and maybe one from post 1953 queens crown. It would be good to for future reference . Thanks Jim
Old 22-04-08, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Default Clarification please.

There has been the use of "1936" several times on the forum as a significant date in the issue of Canadian insignia. There was a major reorganization of the militia at that time, where many units disappeared, were retasked (infantry regiments becoming "Tank" regiments), the MG units being re-organized into infantry regiments, etc. This led to the need for certain new cap badges and titles for newly created units. Other units who were not reorganized continued to use the cap badges, collars and metal shoulder titles and trade badges as had been previously issued.
The 1936 reorganization did not lead to the issue of a whole new set of dress regulations, as they continued to be issued the same uniform as prior to the reorganization. The trades badges and other distinctions continued as previoiusly approved. Service dress was the uniform in the Canadian army until 1939.
The issue of 37 pattern battledress didn't come to Canada until after the war had started in September of 1939, and that led to new dress regulations for the army. At that point metal shoulder titles started to be withdrawn, and slip-ons were issued, which were eventually replaced by coloured embroidered shoulder titles and later the printed patches and shoulder titles. (Except for 4 units which already wore cloth shoulder titles.) The battledress serge was supposed to be adorned with embroidered trades badges, though many soldiers continued to wear the metal trades badges.
So, I am not sure why the 1936 reference is being used.
Old 22-04-08, 08:29 PM
Banned

I tend to use this as the post GEOV GEO VI TRANSITION PERIOD where allot of cast off materials ended up in the colonies once again . There is no need to broaden the subject here we are talking about a band insignia and the brass backing which did disappear in this time period in favor of cloth backed insignia
Old 22-04-08, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Default Cloth insignia

Paul, I am not sure what you mean by cast off material ending up in the colonies. Canada was a dominion which procured its own materials either through internal contracts or through purchases for manufacturers in the UK. The type of insignia is directly connected to the pattern of uniform worn by the bandsmen. The use of cloth insignia was not widespread until the issue of the battledress in 1939.
Old 22-04-08, 11:54 PM
Banned

It goes back to earlier times and is shown on much of the equipement stampings showing no longer acceptable for service and ending up in the colonies which was in fact much appreciated on the low budget militias. The same mantality would prevail in the usage of insignia and equipement in that British surplus materials would be used as much as possible during the height of the depression when as you know funding for even the regular forces was at an all time low.
Old 23-04-08, 02:41 PM

Default Bandsman Badge

would it be fair to say that there was an "Imperial " version of this badge (no Maple Leafs) and a Canadian Version (Maple Leafs). Either may have been worn but? Was the version with the Maple Leafs the only auth version for wear or could both have had service by Canadian Bandsmen??

Larry
Old 23-04-08, 04:44 PM
Banned

There was an imperial version and it was also worn as stocks allowed
.There was a great mix of these trades badges OF ALL TYPES from the Victorian times through to 1970 when we ceased the battledress

PAUL
Old 23-04-08, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

The Canadian army ceased issuing Brit pattern trades badges circa the end of WW2. After that time, the Canadian army had its own unique issue of trades badges for wear. An individual may have been granted permission to wear a British pattern trades badge if they had earned it on British courses / training. The Canadian badges were buff on worsted wool and smaller than the WW2 issue. They were only made for the Canadian army. They were issued until unification, and then a similar style was created again in the 1990's for the DEU and the Garrison Dress uniforms.
Several references available, including Bennetts trade badge book, DND charts, etc.
Old 26-04-08, 05:39 PM
Banned

TO help clarify maybe here is the version hat badge and collar from my CEF collection note it is imperial and was worn by a CANADIAN unit band
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BAND.jpg (41.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 27-04-08, 02:28 PM

Paul.. thanks for posting your Examples... it's good to build up a bit of a thread for reference in the future. Nice badges by the way... Jim