British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-09-10, 12:57 AM

Default Archive Research

Recce, I beg to differ but Clive Law, Mr. Law if you want to go that route, was very correct in stating that the CMHQ reports are on line on the DHH site.

Try this link as they are found within the history gateway of DHH.

http://www.cmhg-phmc.gc.ca/html/sear...&organization=

ED
Old 13-09-10, 01:03 AM

Default Data Storeage

When it comes to data storeage I run my modest database off of a 1TB external hard-drive with an additional backup 1TB hardrive with mirrored data stored at another location (work). I update the second external hard-drive about once a month.
Old 13-09-10, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
Recce, I beg to differ but Clive Law, Mr. Law if you want to go that route, was very correct in stating that the CMHQ reports are on line on the DHH site.

Try this link as they are found within the history gateway of DHH.

ED
Just the fact the Info confirmed by Mr.Bill, tells me that Mr.Law is well informed as Intimate with the way LAC O.P. works. Mr. Law is well known by LAC and could have faster access or more services provided to him.

Well thank you Mr. Ed for providing the link I check 3 times it only has 106 reports available. And the ones that I've been looking for can't be found Especially Report #150.

Title: The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regt) of Canada in OPERATION "SPRING", 25 Jul 44.
■Date of Publication: 12 Feb 1946
■Version: PDF
■File Size: 2.85 MB
■Type: CMHQ Report
■Report #: 150
■Author: Stacey, C.P.

Therefore not all CMHQ reports can be found on-line or even though they state they're available when you click on them Nothing happens you get The DND Error page Or at the LAC you get a Blank page. While many others no problem to download on PDF.

I will call LAC & CHH this morning and fined out why and all other info.

If anybody ever comes across Report #150 or has it on PDF please let me Know. THK U FR YR TME.

Last edited by Recce; 13-09-10 at 03:04 PM.
Old 13-09-10, 04:09 PM
Banned

I just contacted the LAC and received all information needed, if you need to confirm this call Toll Free at 1-866-578-7777 you'll have 8 choices press 3 and ask for the receptionist.

Looks like some procedures have changed at the LAC since I last visited.

First you'll get Nothing in 24hrs more like over 48hrs with special exceptions.
you Must first like I stated you must have a "User Card Number."

Quote:
Request For Retrieval of Documents

This online service allows you to order material in advance of your visit to Library and Archives Canada (LAC). You may order a maximum of ten items (i.e.: books, boxes of archival documents, video-tapes, etc.) and you must submit your request at least five working days prior to your visit.

You must:

•Provide your user card number. If you do not have one, complete the online User Card Registration Form. You will receive your user card number by email within two working days.

•Provide an email address and a phone or fax number where you can be reached from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday. We will contact you if the documents you are ordering are not available or the archival or bibliographical references are incomplete.

•Provide the archival references (see Examples of archival references) or the bibliographical references (Amicus number, title and author). If you cannot find the information you need, ask us a question.

Therefore I was clearly told when you Visit the LAC you must submit only 10 items and thats 5 days before your Visit. If you ask for more once your there you'll have to Wait another 5 Days no If ends or Butts unless the Box in which your documents are in, you like to take a look at the rest of then that will take 48hrs. Therefore you get Nothing at the LAC in 24hrs I asked and was advised 4 times NO.

For the use of Cameras, at the reception when you register you must advise them and get permission as fill out a form to the use of the camera, certain Items your allowed others your not, once your form is filled out with in minutes I was advised They will inform you. If you don't make the request and they catch you taking pictures without their consent your pictures will be deleted, and you can even be asked to leave the building.
Old 13-09-10, 05:08 PM

Default Black Watch - Op SPRING

Recce:

I found it, try this link.

ED

Old 13-09-10, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Ed, Dead link, 404 error. (DND is extremely aggravating for doing this. They re-organize their web and all kinds of links go dead. They appear to have removed the badge pages that were up a year or so ago and instead of passing the image bank on to either the Directorate of Ceremonial or the Directorate of History / Heritage, they have just disappeared.)
Old 13-09-10, 05:48 PM

Just tried ED's link...works fine.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 13-09-10, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jo, Did you go all the way to the pdf article? I can go to the CMHQ Report Details, http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-...ype=2&RfId=150, but when I try the link from that page to the article I get the 404 error.
Old 13-09-10, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Jo, Did you go all the way to the pdf article? I can go to the CMHQ Report Details, http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-...ype=2&RfId=150, but when I try the link from that page to the article I get the 404 error.
The first three are working fine except the one for the Black Watch,same as you Bill.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 13-09-10, 06:15 PM
Banned

Thanks for your Efforts gents I've tried that link for many moons I get same, it shows it's Available once you click on it you get the infamous DND 404 Error

Quote:
Description: A statement by the Minister of National Defence concerning the attack by the 1st Battalion of The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada south of Caen on 25 July 1944 in which the four rifle companies of this battalion were almost totally destroyed.
I do have the Apendix A of this report, OPERATION "SPRING" - The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regt) of Canada in - 25 Jul 44 - with comments by Lt-Gen G.G. Simonds, Appendix A only.

http://web.archive.org/web/200505161...q/cmhq150a.pdf

You have to remember Report #150 was ordered destroyed by Granville Simonds and replace with Report #162, knowingly it would of exposed his arrogant incompetence ect., as held him responsible for the horrific Massacre of all Canadian regiments suffered for Operation Spring as Atlantic under his command, not counting his two accomplices that sent many soldiers needlessly to their deaths. Due to divine intervention and through the years in secret, the report was saved from the burning Fire by Lt.-Gen. Charles Foulkes and keep secret by Col. Stacey for decades. It's to be noted The high Casualties counts are falsified. research shows, Op Spring is believed to be Higher then Dieppe aka Operation Jubilee, in casualties.

The report is available as you can see by the links, getting it is like pulling teeth without anesthesia. Lol

Quote:
Light travels faster than sound.
This is why some people appear bright until they speak.
LMAOOOoooooo I just noticed that.

Last edited by Recce; 13-09-10 at 06:58 PM.
Old 13-09-10, 06:53 PM

Hi Gents,

I just received earlier today from LAC confirmation that the War Diaries I ordered on-line yesterday will be at LAC within 24-48hrs...I have copied/pasted below the e-mail. It appears then that it is possible to have items ordered/delivered within the 24/48 hr time period...I will keep everyone posted.

Good afternoon Mr Kennelly,
I have received part of your request to view archival documents and the following textual items have been requested on your behalf:

RG24 volumes 15179, 15180 & 15181 (Chaudiere War Diaries 1939-1946)

They should be arriving on site in the next 24 to 48 hours and I will send you a follow up email once I confirm they are available. The other items requested will be handled by the special media team as it appears to be photographs and someone from that team will be in contact with you in regards to that.
Old 13-09-10, 07:15 PM

Default Black Watch Report

The question I have Recce is that apparently you have been trying to download this document for some time with no luck. Did you try contacting DHH to get them to fix the problem? If you want the document that bad, then I would have thought you would have been pestering DHH for it, especially since DHH was listing it on their website.

So I guess Clive was right then! DHH did have the report you wanted and you knew it was listed on line, yet you were telling us you could not find it....
Old 13-09-10, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudiere1944 View Post
Hi Gents,

I just received earlier today from LAC confirmation that the War Diaries I ordered on-line yesterday will be at LAC within 24-48hrs...I have copied/pasted below the e-mail. It appears then that it is possible to have items ordered/delivered within the 24/48 hr time period...I will keep everyone posted.

Good afternoon Mr Kennelly,
I have received part of your request to view archival documents and the following textual items have been requested on your behalf:

RG24 volumes 15179, 15180 & 15181 (Chaudiere War Diaries 1939-1946)

They should be arriving on site in the next 24 to 48 hours and I will send you a follow up email once I confirm they are available. The other items requested will be handled by the special media team as it appears to be photographs and someone from that team will be in contact with you in regards to that.
Count from the Day you sent in your request by @, till the day it conferms it has arrived at the LAC. Therfore if sent yeasterday 24hrs have passed and your still waiting for confermation. Therefore you can't get a Document ect., in 24hrs. I was told this morning, as items are strored in defrent Locations. Thats why they state send in your request 5 days before your visite.

You're going to the LAC in Ottawa? If so ask them about Report #150 why it show's it can be downloaded but when you try it doesn't work.
Old 13-09-10, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
The question I have Recce is that apparently you have been trying to download this document for some time with no luck. Did you try contacting DHH to get them to fix the problem? If you want the document that bad, then I would have thought you would have been pestering DHH for it, especially since DHH was listing it on their website.

So I guess Clive was right then! DHH did have the report you wanted and you knew it was listed on line, yet you were telling us you could not find it.
I did send DHH few @ but they never replied, pestering is bad form. Whoever I sent one today to a Big Wig at DHH.

Ok you lost Moi,. You guessed wrong, read again. I do have the Appendix A of this report, OPERATION "SPRING" - The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regt)
of Canada in - 25 Jul 44 - with comments by Lt-Gen G.G. Simonds, Appendix A only.

Do you see Col. Stacey name on appendix A? NO. Who was the Minister of Nationl defence? That's 14 pages read the first paragraphs, do you know how
many pages Report #150 has around 141++ pages

You think I would ask for and bust all of your chops over Report #150 If I already had it! Lmaooooo.

Last edited by Recce; 13-09-10 at 07:54 PM.
Old 13-09-10, 07:53 PM

Recce

E-mail was sent yesterday (SUNDAY) and accordingly they were not open...therefore to begin counting from yesterday would be unfair.

By my count the 24 hours would begin today at 9am and end tomorrow at 9am. The e-mail I received this morning from LAC arrived at 11:49...pretty reasonable by my count considering they opened at 9am this morning. If the items are not there by tomorrow however at 9am and arrive sometime during the course of the day or even the following day, I would consider this to be very good service as the items (I have been told) are not on site and need to be delivered to LAC.

Here is a link to their LAC hours:

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/v...01-1000-e.html

As per your particular file (150) I would echo Ed's recommendation and give them a call to find out how to have it rectified.

Best,
Mike