British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-01-20, 01:07 PM

Default Essex Regiment Question

Forum Members,

I have recently found a Regimental Cane or Swagger Stick which appears to relate to The Essex Regiment with the 'Pompadours' nickname as part of the badge design. Having looked at Essex Regiment canes on line the badge appears to differ from the norm with the Sphinx missing from the design.
Would I be right in thinking that this cane has a 56th (West Essex) Regiment (2nd Battalion Essex Regiment) connection or is it just a variation of design for the Essex Regiment. Any ideas on dates of use would be appreciated too.

Many thanks and best regards

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUNP0001 (2).jpg (34.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg SUNP0002 (2).jpg (31.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SUNP0003 (2).jpg (32.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SUNP0004 (2).jpg (36.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 28-01-20, 08:26 PM
MarkGD

Hi Simon,
Lovely thing indeed, not sure if i can add much to your assumptions.
The sphinx has been used on the cap badge for a long time (1881?) not present on this. Victorian type crown (Pre 1902?) Pompadours (used from the beginning).
Regards Mark
Old 28-01-20, 08:52 PM

Greetings Simon.

I believe you have a very nice item to The 56th, West Essex.

The Sphinx became part of The Essex regiment insignia when the 44th and 56th amalgamated to become The Essex Regiment, (1st and 2nd Battalions respectively).

Regards

Brian
P.S. I forgot to add pre 1881, when the amalgamayion took place.

Last edited by Fatherofthree; 28-01-20 at 09:02 PM. Reason: A P.S. added
Old 28-01-20, 09:32 PM

Mark and Brian,

Thank you very much for that. The lack of the Sphinx was what initially made me wonder regarding identification.

Best regards Simon.
Old 29-01-20, 08:43 AM

The key point being that the 44th were entitled to the Sphinx badge 'superscribed 'Egypt' for their participation on Abercromby's Egypt campaign in 1801, whereas the 56th were not.

However, as one of the four original regiments defending Gibraltar during the Great Siege of 1779-83 the 56th were entitled to the distinction 'Gibraltar' together with the Castle and Key badge and the motto Montis Insignia Calpe visible on the swagger stick badge here ).

Authorised in 1784, this was the earliest official campaign honour awarded in the British army, predating the Sphinx (granted to some 40 regiments and corps) by some eighteen odd years. That may explain why from 1881 the Castle and Key was more prominent on the Essex Regiment badge than the Sphinx.
Old 29-01-20, 09:28 AM

jf42,

Many thanks for the additional information.

Regards Simon.