British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-11-12, 07:08 PM

Default Early RCA Helmet Plate

Was fortunate to pickup this early helmet plate for my Artillery collection over the weekend.... comments always welcomed... Jim
Old 13-11-12, 07:09 PM

Old 13-11-12, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Nice plate. Note the Guelphic crown, and VRI script. Both stirred quite a discussion on the Canadian Soldiers Forum a short while ago but in reference to the Royal Canadian Regiment. The concensus about the Guelphic crown was that it dated to late in Queen Victoria's reign, likely 1890's till her death.
Old 15-11-12, 08:07 AM

Default Guelphic Crown

Hello Bill, I had always thought it to be the other way around. All of my Canadian Artillery helmet plates of Victorian vintage have the "Normal" Victorian crown, excepting the one I have as per Jim A's badge. That particular badge is listed in "Mazeas" as HP8. If then you go to Canadian Militia badge HP4 in "Mazeas", it is listed as circa 1855. And this has the Guelphic crown. Over to you!. Regards, DJ.
Old 15-11-12, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a link to the discussion about VRI cyphers and crowns. http://www.network54.com/Forum/28173...litia+Regiment
Old 28-12-20, 05:28 AM

Hello Jim. What years was the RCA helmet plate with the VRI have been worn ?
Old 28-12-20, 05:35 AM

Hi Jim
I attach a pic of the Yukon Field Force taken in Vancouver in 1898. Note the RCA LCpl on the left and the helmet plate being worn. I believe it to be the VRI style helmet plate. What do you think
Old 28-12-20, 05:38 AM

Default Yukon Field Force

Here is a close up of the same pic. I do believe this RCA soldier is wearing the VRI style helmet plate

Last edited by Northman; 28-12-20 at 05:43 AM.
Old 28-12-20, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Northman. There was a ERI cypher pattern RCA helmet plate, introduced in 1904. How widespread that issue was is a big question. The GVR badge was approved in 1910.
Old 29-12-20, 02:38 AM

Hi Bill. Sounds good. So when was the VRI badge first introduced and how long was it used ?
Old 29-12-20, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

No date was given for the adoption of the VRI cypher, which means the second question can't be answered. Should also note that many of the militia batteries had their own plates. The VRI pattern is a "generic" artillery badge, probably worn by the permanent force and militia batteries that didn't acquire their own design.
Old 29-12-20, 09:48 PM

Default Early RCA Helmet Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
Hello Bill, I had always thought it to be the other way around. All of my Canadian Artillery helmet plates of Victorian vintage have the "Normal" Victorian crown, excepting the one I have as per Jim A's badge. That particular badge is listed in "Mazeas" as HP8. If then you go to Canadian Militia badge HP4 in "Mazeas", it is listed as circa 1855. And this has the Guelphic crown. Over to you!. Regards, DJ.
Further to trying to figure what dates the Guelphic Crown was used, I’ve tried to figure when wooden trails were changed to iron trails on early Artillery badges. It seems to have been the whim of the badge manufacturer. My VRI badge is the same as the one shown at thread start, which shows a metal trail. My British Columbia Garrison Artillery has the “normal” Victorian crown, with metal trail. My 1st Halifax Garrison Artillery again has the “normal” Vicky crown but the gun trail is clearly depicted as wood. That particular badge is again different from Maxeas HP17 in that it has the Artillery motto on the lower scroll and on the scroll above the gun is stamped 1HGA. I will eventually be posting all of my Canadian Artillery badges into an album to supplement my other Artillery albums. Regards, D.J.