British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17-10-12, 05:18 PM
Peter J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Medal Ribbons - ID Please

I wonder if one of the forum's medal aficionados would be kind enough to cast an expert eye over this picture and perhaps ID which medals this Queen's Westminster Rifles Bandsman, is wearing, please?:

QWR 4.jpg

With thanks,

Peter.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17-10-12, 05:24 PM
matti467's Avatar
matti467 matti467 is offline
Mr. Jackanory
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Leicestershire
Posts: 1,816
Default

Yes Peter,
They are medal ribbons.
Hope that helps
Matti
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17-10-12, 05:28 PM
Phil2M's Avatar
Phil2M Phil2M is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Essex
Posts: 6,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
Yes Peter,
They are medal ribbons.
Hope that helps
Matti
Drat, you beat me to it!! i will add that they are black and white ones
__________________
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17-10-12, 05:35 PM
matti467's Avatar
matti467 matti467 is offline
Mr. Jackanory
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Leicestershire
Posts: 1,816
Default

Peter,
Colour did not come into everyday life until 1956 so that should help to date it a bit.
Matti
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17-10-12, 05:55 PM
Graham Stewart's Avatar
Graham Stewart Graham Stewart is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Darlington
Posts: 1,001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
I wonder if one of the forum's medal aficionados would be kind enough to cast an expert eye over this picture and perhaps ID which medals this Queen's Westminster Rifles Bandsman, is wearing, please?:

Attachment 71169

With thanks,

Peter.
bp-honours-ksam.jpg
Middle ribbon of the three could be a K.S.A.(see attached) and the plain dark ribbon could be the V.L.S.G.C. - depending of course on when your photo was taken, but none appear to be 'Pip', 'Squeak' or 'Wilfred'.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17-10-12, 06:04 PM
badger123's Avatar
badger123 badger123 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 1,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
Yes Peter,
They are medal ribbons.
Hope that helps
Matti
I love it when mates are helpful!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 17-10-12, 06:05 PM
matti467's Avatar
matti467 matti467 is offline
Mr. Jackanory
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Leicestershire
Posts: 1,816
Default

Help could be my middle name.
Matti
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17-10-12, 06:07 PM
badger123's Avatar
badger123 badger123 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 1,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti467 View Post
Help could be my middle name.
Matti
It could be but I suspect Peter may have another name for you!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17-10-12, 06:10 PM
matti467's Avatar
matti467 matti467 is offline
Mr. Jackanory
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Leicestershire
Posts: 1,816
Default

You know, a lot of people have other names for me. Some are not very polite either! Unlike Duke William of Normandy, my parents were married. Some put the words stupid, daft, irritating or annoying before the nickname they have for me.
Oh well
Matti
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 17-10-12, 06:19 PM
Nozzer Nozzer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,387
Default

This is a long shot, but could the first one be the Tibet Medal (1905)? Although the white strips seem a little wide. If the second one is the KSA, it was never issued without the QSA and I am sure the first one isn't.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 17-10-12, 06:25 PM
matti467's Avatar
matti467 matti467 is offline
Mr. Jackanory
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Leicestershire
Posts: 1,816
Default

Peter,
To be helpful, I have had a proper look and can say that the first one is NOT the Victoria Cross.
Matti
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 17-10-12, 06:31 PM
Staffsyeoman Staffsyeoman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,084
Default

I think it's simpler.

1. Queen's South Africa Medal
2. King's South Africa Medal
3. Army Long Service & Good Conduct.

The KSA could not be awarded to soldiers without the QSA; and the vagiaries of orthochromatic film play tricks with light and dark tones on period medal ribbons, which is to say that I don't think it is the Tibet Medal. I plump for the LS&GC (which didn't get white edges until 1918) on balance of his being a regular.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 17-10-12, 06:39 PM
Nozzer Nozzer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffsyeoman View Post
I think it's simpler.

1. Queen's South Africa Medal
2. King's South Africa Medal
3. Army Long Service & Good Conduct.

The KSA could not be awarded to soldiers without the QSA; and the vagiaries of orthochromatic film play tricks with light and dark tones on period medal ribbons, which is to say that I don't think it is the Tibet Medal. I plump for the LS&GC (which didn't get white edges until 1918) on balance of his being a regular.
Would what you said really make the dark blue on the ribbon appear white (I know nothing about photography)?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 17-10-12, 07:02 PM
Staffsyeoman Staffsyeoman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
Would what you said really make the dark blue on the ribbon appear white (I know nothing about photography)?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matt/817283/

It can do, yes. And the logic is that no KSA without a QSA as well.

The advice a far more experienced photographer gave me on the Great War Forum was thus:

The trouble is that the photographic reproduction process in use at the time of the Great War actually alters the relative tonal values of the image. Thus we find dark blues appearing as very light in real Great War photos - e.g. the dark blue Khedive's Star ribbon in my picture of Sgt-Master-Tailor Simpson, which appears almost white.
If you take a modern image of a dark blue medal ribbon and switch it to monochrome, the resulting greyscale image will still appear dark.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 17-10-12, 07:09 PM
Nozzer Nozzer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffsyeoman View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matt/817283/

It can do, yes. And the logic is that no KSA without a QSA as well.

The advice a far more experienced photographer gave me on the Great War Forum was thus:

The trouble is that the photographic reproduction process in use at the time of the Great War actually alters the relative tonal values of the image. Thus we find dark blues appearing as very light in real Great War photos - e.g. the dark blue Khedive's Star ribbon in my picture of Sgt-Master-Tailor Simpson, which appears almost white.
If you take a modern image of a dark blue medal ribbon and switch it to monochrome, the resulting greyscale image will still appear dark.
Well there you go, I've learnt something today
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bandsman, medals, qwr, westminster

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.