British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-11-08, 06:20 AM

Default Canadian fusiliers?

hi all
just recently bought a bunch of badges, all common british items. a friend was over yesterday and i went to trade some to him and he commented there was something strange with the royal fusiliers badge but couldnt work out what it was. on closer inspection, there was a maple leaf on the central rose.
can anyone tell me what period it is, and confirm it is canadian
bc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6301.JPG (64.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6303.JPG (55.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 23-11-08, 12:19 PM

I'd go with the Canadian Fusillers ( City of London regt).... seems to be the 1930 pattern... Jim.... while thinking on this I'd always assumed it was London Ontario... but is it named after the Big Smoke... London England... just a thought
Old 23-11-08, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Jim, The Canadian Fusiliers were organized in London Ontario, the Canadian city which was named after the English capital. If you go to London Ontario, you will find many attributes, like street names, the river etc named from the same in London England. The Canadian London continued to associate these connections, and the main militia regiment in London Ontario was the Canadian version of the Royal Fusliers. Your idea that it was named after the "big smoke" is correct. London Ontario was trying to copy the mother city in many ways.
Old 23-11-08, 12:33 PM

Hello bc. What you have there is the badge for the Canadian Fusiliers (City of London Regt). Now, after the amalgamation in 1954 with the Oxford Rifles, it became the 3rd Battalion of the Royal Canadian Regiment. In 1970, it became the 4th Battalion of the RCR after the RCR expanded to have a a third regular battalion.So the time frame to your badge is 1930-1954. Plus or minus a couple of years to order new badges.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 23-11-08, 10:19 PM

thanks jo, bill and jim,
as i mentioned it was more the suprise of seeing a maple leaf as i thought it was british. i actualy had a look at the projects page of the CANADIAN BADGE INDEX. what a fantastic reference. found my badge there and some others. if anyone hasnt looked at the index, its worth a look
bc
Old 24-11-08, 04:50 AM

Given the flat metal, pierced lugs on that badge, I'd peg it as an early 1930s badge rather than a later version. The Fusiliers badges I scanned for the CanBage project all have round wire lugs.
Old 24-11-08, 10:51 AM

thanks david
the canbadge project is fantastic
bc