British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 18-10-08, 11:49 PM

Default Insane ePAY Auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=015

Ok guys, what am I missing here? Somebody wants this badge REALLY bad

G

Last edited by GregN; 20-10-08 at 03:39 PM.
Old 18-10-08, 11:50 PM

OK, I get it. This is not a CEF badge, right???

Greg
Old 19-10-08, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

RARE badge. If you are a militia period collector, this is one of the harder items.
Old 19-10-08, 01:17 AM
Banned

DO believe that is the CEF no overseas one by the lugs and patina. It can fit into the post war slot also but not with the thick lugs.
Old 24-10-08, 11:32 PM

Default Paid way too much!

The lugs are a sure sign its from the CEF period!

But they paid way too much! IMHO!
Old 25-10-08, 12:22 AM

Default Perhaps

But the high bidder is also a member of this forum. I am sure he has a reason for paying that much for it
Old 25-10-08, 12:38 AM
Banned

YUP and it takes more than one to make an auction. seems to me I have been called worse for some of the prices paid for items I needed and would not let anyone get in my way you pay for it some times
Old 25-10-08, 01:45 AM

I hear you on that one Paul. It is very rare that I see something that I consider a "must Have" but when I do, I bid stupid high so as to garrentee I get the item. Last thing I recall doing that one was a wooden cigarette box decorated with an image of the Irish Regtiment of Canada Officers Badge, and the monogram R.C.C.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 27-10-08, 09:36 PM

Default The North British Columbia Regiment

I suppose I should feel somewhat flattered with all of the buzz that I have helped create (since it takes two bidders to jack a price up like this). Yes, I am the successful bidder on this badge.

First of all, this is the militia (1920-1936) capbadge. Quite simply, there are two versions of the CEF badge, however, both have "CEF" on the top point of the maple leaf above the Native Warrior's head. The militia badge DOES NOT have "CEF" on it. Please refer to the Babin and Cross books for the CEF badges, and Mazeas' book for the militia badge.

With regards to the lugs. The lugs are of the stamped pattern used by OB Allan Jewellers, an old Vancouver firm. The lugs on this badge are identical to lugs on other badges in my collection that were made by OB Allan - I checked with a micrometer. These badges include 172nd Battalion CEF, 231st CEF (All four lugs!) and my M13, BC Regiment, both officers' and ORs.
Therefore, the lugs should not be used as an indicator as to when the badge was made.

To those who seem to think that I paid an unreasonable price. About ten years ago I received a list from a dealer which included the North BC Regiment badge at Cdn$650.00. Taking into account 3%/year inflation (a rough estimate) that would put the list price of this badge at approximately Cdn$870.00. I am quite satisfied with my purchase.

Regarding relative scarcity. In my 30 years collecting to BC units (remember, this is what I specialize in), I have come across this badge three times. Once in the aforementioned catalogue, and I have seen it in two very advanced collections - where it was categorized with the 1920-36 militia badges.

Now, to the member of the forum who called me a "sucker" and has since prudently edited his post. The badge collecting community is quite small, and most of the serious collectors and dealers know or know of each other. Since you chose to show all the class of a fried egg sandwich by calling me a "sucker" in a public forum, I would suggest that you not fight any urges that you may have to make a suitable apology...in said public forum. That, however, I will leave up to you.

References:
Babin, LL Cap Badges of the Canadian Expeditionary Forces 1914-1919 Illustrated, E-102, Page V.
Cross, WK The Charlton Standard Catalogue of First World War Canadian Infantry Badges, Second Edition Pages 176-177
Mazeas, D Insignes Canadiens 1920-1950, Revised Edition M104 Page 85

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 28-10-08 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Punctuation/Spelling
Old 27-10-08, 10:24 PM
Banned

Interesting thoughts Mr Herring , I hope you do aggree that this badge was both CEF and post war though as it was and is proven by the lugs as you say
NOTE THE TWO EXAMPLES I SHOW BELOW which is TIPTAFT and which one is ALLEN ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 102.jpg (47.2 KB, 63 views)
Old 03-11-08, 06:09 PM

Unhappy

Guys, every time I read this post, it makes me sick. **** is right, it is a small community. I made my comment while this auction was ongoing, when all identities of bidder was unknown. I was surprised when Philip won, edited my post as, although I've never met Philip personally - I didn't want to insult him personally. Why would I, I've learned much from him and the forum. Privately, I apoligised and offered to buy the wounded party a beer but this was not enough. I guess some people take this hobby just a bit too seriously.
"Class" works both ways pal.

The senior collectors in this hobby are tasked with some basic responsibilities whether they want them or not. 1. is to share all that their vast years of experience in the collecting of Canadian militaria with those who have not gained such experience. So that the same mistakes are not made again and again. 2. is to promote this hobby to the new generation of collectors. If I were a guest, reading this post, I would not be impressed. 3. Finally, we are measured as a hobby by the comments made in open forum by those who read them who are guests.

I shouldn't have even commented on this auction, just learned from it. Well, I learned that the badge is question IS rare and that some collector have micron thin skin.

I have enjoyed participating in this forum, always without any intent of malice towards anyone, however I've noticed a trend towords personal attacks and snide remarks privately and publicly, which I feel are shameful.

I've decided to take a self-emposed exile from posting for a year or so.
Greg

Last edited by Bill A; 06-02-10 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-11-08, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

A note to all Forum users. As has been made more than clear in this thread, the Canadian badge collecting community is not large. We mostly know, or know of each other, especially when we have spent a few years in the hobby. Lets keep this in mind when we post comments. The focus of the forum is what we collect.
Old 03-11-08, 11:11 PM
1stmotors

I was able to win the set of 102 Allen collars that were at auction around the same time. Paid around 90.00 US if I remember correctly. I purchased them for a BC collector who traded me a rather minty 86th Battalion Cap badge.

BTW paulbear any interest in parting with that 86MG shoulder that you won a short while ago in a group. I have one, but need a second to complete my 86th frame
Old 04-11-08, 04:50 AM
Banned

Greg you should not feel bad in any way IMO . You do need a bit of a thick skin it goes with the territory or I would be gone long ago LOL .

Victor the shoulder went to a collection some time ago off ebay thanks for asking

PAUL
Old 04-11-08, 01:42 PM
1stmotors

Thanks paulbear
Closed Thread