British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-12-09, 04:19 PM

Ed, four more quick questions if you don't mind.

1) Were these late war one piece chevrons issued early enough in 1945 to be used in NW Europe before VE Day?

2) How soon after the war were they replaced by the other type of one piece chevrons?

3) Was it a Canadian only type of chevron or were they also used by other Commonwealth countries?

4) Were Canadian troops ever issued printed rank chevrons?

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Printed Chevron.jpg (35.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 08-12-09, 12:20 AM

Default WWII Sergeants Chevrons

Here is an image of WWII Sergeants chevrons.

Old 08-12-09, 12:26 AM

Default Questions

Too be honest, I do not know.

1. Perhaps, I am not sure.

2. They would be used until the stocks were used up so they could well be used into the 1960s. I think the destinctive post-war versions came out in the late 1950s, but I cannot confirm it.

3. I do not know, I guess it would depend on the supply system or what sort of items were left behind by the Canadian Army.

4. The potential is there, but I do not have a confirmation. I have a few nice pieces of printed rank insignia that I will scan and post in the future.

The key would be to find some documentation and imagery that show the different types of rank insignia in use.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.
Old 08-12-09, 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

I have printed captain's shoulder "boards" that came from a Canadian officer. They were sewn on at one time.
Old 08-12-09, 02:50 AM

Ed, Bill, thank you for your replies. Bill, would there be any chance you could post pictures of your shoulder boards?
Old 08-12-09, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
Correct water bottles may be a little harder to find, few are dated but take note of the colour of the felt covering and the colour of the enamel bottle (blue) in the one that I posted and if you find one like that you will be okay. Water bottles go by mark designation, with Mk V and Mk VI being the ones you will see in use in WWII. Yours appears to be a Mk VII (with brownish/greenish enamel) which shows up with WWII dated carriers but these water bottles are post-WWII British. There are lots of the Mk VIIs and they show up everywhere as WWII but they are not, cost of a WWII water bottle, again about $20.00.
I was able to find an purchase a correct blue-enameled water bottle. I have a question, though, about the Mk. VII green water bottles. I came across a bit of information at www.karkeeweb.com:

LoC B 3111, approved 29 November, 1939, introduced the Mark VII. This was slightly changed from the Mark VI in having a small wire “eye”, welded to the shoulder and neck of the bottle. A major change, from a practice dating back to 1888, was a switch from blue enamelling to green. Still with an eye on cost saving, the 1939 LoC introduced a shorter piece of string, namely Stoppers, cork, waterbottle, cords, short, 9-in., for Mk VII bottles – half the size of the old cord and now tied to the metal eye of the Mark VII. Evidently a case of Waste not want not. The drab cloth Cover was unchanged and Stopper, cork remained un-changed. The example shown here is from the John Bodsworth Collection. Photographs © John Bodsworth 2009.

Does this mean that some green enameled Mk VII water bottles were actually used during the war, or were they all post-war? Perhaps, athought being used in WW2, the Mk. VII remained in production/service for a long time post-war and, as such most that turn up are actually post-war examples? Is this correct?

(sorry if the question is off-topic for a Military Badge forum - just trying to learn something new from some of the expert collectors out there)
Old 08-12-09, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Default Printed Rank

An example of captain's printed rank. This was worn by a Canadian officer, but I am not sure the printed rank was a regular issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (53.5 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-12-09, 04:17 PM

Default Printed Rank

Bill:

Very nice! That is the first example I have seen of printed Officer's rank.
Old 08-12-09, 04:22 PM

Default Mk VII Water Bottle

Ledfut:

Glad to see you looked up the information on Karkee Web. I should have double checked my Water Bottle mark information before finalizing the message. Anyway, you have gone and purchased the proper water bottle with the blue enamel so use that one. The British Mk VIIs, like the one that you have, are around in huge numbers and are considered to be post-WWII manufacture. The British used the Mk VIIs well into the 1960s were as Canada started phasing them out in the early 1950s.
Old 08-12-09, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

A bit more info on the printed rank. The canvas material that was used was the heavier grade used earlier in the war. The officer was a company commander in the Algonquin Regiment and he had these sometime in 43-45.
Old 10-12-09, 12:46 PM

Default Printed Officer's Rank

Very nice! The first I have seen.
Old 12-12-09, 04:57 AM

Default Printed Rank Insignia

These are the examples I have in my collection.

Old 12-12-09, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Ed, Are these made on the heavy canvas?
Does anyone have images with the printed rank patches in wear?

Last edited by Bill A; 12-12-09 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-12-09, 01:57 PM

Default Printed Rank

The LCpl and Cpl are printed on very heavy canvas, the WO and the WOII are on lighter material.
Old 12-12-09, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Ed, Could you post an image of the back of the WO badges?