British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-01-14, 05:21 PM

Default "Q" service ""Italian Made" cap badge

A cap badge of the Q Corps. The seller maintains is Italian made, possibly because of the lugs? Any hints? Many thanks in advance for your knowledge!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Q_Service_Cap_Badge_Italian_Made_1.jpg (64.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Q_Service_Cap_Badge_Italian_Made_2.jpg (72.0 KB, 63 views)
Old 12-01-14, 05:47 PM

Hi, it is because of the lugs. Regards Andrew
Old 13-01-14, 04:41 AM

Hi,
I have heard this story as well that this badge was 'Italian made' but in my opinion I have to disagree. I have seen similar lugs on WWII UDF badges for units that were around before the Italian campaign and were only used in South Africa. I am of the opinion that this was the early issue of the QSC badge manufactured locally before the regular pressed pattern was sourced.

So until there is concrete evidence (i.e not heresay) that this was produced in Italy, I will be of the opinion that this was produced in South Africa.

Steven

PS. I speculate that the belief that this was Italian made may stem from a poster produced of the Italian campaign showing a map of Italy surrounded by the regimental insignia of the 6th SA Armoured division. The QSC badge on this poster is displayed as a bi-metal badge.
Old 13-01-14, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
Hi,
I have heard this story as well that this badge was 'Italian made' but in my opinion I have to disagree. I have seen similar lugs on WWII UDF badges for units that were around before the Italian campaign and were only used in South Africa. I am of the opinion that this was the early issue of the QSC badge manufactured locally before the regular pressed pattern was sourced.

So until there is concrete evidence (i.e not heresay) that this was produced in Italy, I will be of the opinion that this was produced in South Africa.

Steven

PS. I speculate that the belief that this was Italian made may stem from a poster produced of the Italian campaign showing a map of Italy surrounded by the regimental insignia of the 6th SA Armoured division. The QSC badge on this poster is displayed as a bi-metal badge.
I tend to agree with Steven on this one.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 13-01-14, 12:29 PM

Hi Alex,
Thanks for the support

I looked in Cursons 2nd book (1962) and he mentions a bi-metal badge issued to the QSC in 1942.
Sam Foote also shows the badge in his write ups in 1968 Commando magazine, but he does not mention exact dates for this badge.

There is also a British Pathe film showing QSC MT drivers in pith helmets (c. 1944) boarding a SAR train for the front. The helmet badges appear to be polished brass and not the standard darkened badge, but the pictures are not clear enough to make out whether bi-metal or not. Some of the soldiers are wearing GSC bokkie badges as well, but all display the QSC flash on both sides of the pith.

Steven
Old 17-02-14, 07:42 AM

Gentlemen,
A lot of British badges were made with sheet metal lugs in WW2, RAC/AAC/Para/Recce etc.