British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-03-13, 02:09 PM

Not a bad price as they do not often come up for sale.
Old 19-08-13, 04:32 PM

From my collection: two different pairs of ILH/KR epaulettes slip ons, in KD. One of the titles has cracked as it quite often happens....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Epaulettes_ILH_KR_KD_1.jpg (42.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Epaulettes_ILH_KR_KD_2.jpg (34.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg ILH_KR_Epaulettes_KD_1.jpg (72.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 02-03-14, 05:58 PM

Good evening Brian,
I just wanted to add my thanks for such a good post which Iain bought to my attention a week or so ago, I don't go beyond 1918 with South Africa, but, as the 6th South African Armoured Division did so well I have had to make an exception with this!
Thank you again and kind regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Up until June 1944, the troops of the composite regiment of the Imperial Light Horse and the Kimberley Regiment of the 6th S.A. Armoured Division fighting in the WW2 Italian Campaign, had worn their own separate unit insignia.

However at an impressive battalion parade on the 9th July 1944 the OC Colonel Reeves-Moore paid tribute to the dead and wounded and thanked his men for their great efforts to date. The greatly prized honour of the issue of the I.L.H.* K.R. shoulder title was announced at this parade, as a battle award to troops who served in the forward areas, and threatened dire consequences for those who did not jealously safeguard the privilege.

His speech went as follows:

I am anxious that the following conditions and reservations in regard to the wearing of the I.L.H.*K.R. shoulder titles shall be strictly and rigidly observed and enforced and I rely on every officer, NCO and man of the Regiment to count it his duty to ensure that the privilege and honour of wearing these is in no way abused or misconstrued.

1. The title shall be issued for wearing to every man who serves with the Battalion in Forward ops and will remain in his possession.
2. SACS, SAMC and TSC personnel serving with the Battalion forward, shall be entitled to wear them.
3. Reserves, who have NOT served forward with the Battalion, will not be entitled to wear them.

This badge was locally produced and appears to bronze and been done in the “sandcast” method. It is only found in this material.

Was this issue a unique award, in the annals of Commonwealth forces fighting in WW2?

Sources:
Page 146 “Light Horse Cavalcade 1899-1961” by Harry Klein
Pages 38 and 39 “Come back to Portofino” by James Bourhill.
Old 02-03-14, 06:04 PM

Frank

Glad you liked it, I am attaching a pic of the award document. It was sent to me by a mate and he cannot remember where he found it?

However it needs to be shown, but will remove if it offends the owner, appologies in advance.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ILH_KR_Ttiles_Epaulettes_Attestation_1.jpg (28.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-03-14, 06:07 PM

Hello Brian,
Well, I would not have seen it if Iain had not pointed it out to me, I am still quite new on here, the titles are quite nice things and hard to find too!
Kind regards Frank
Old 02-03-14, 07:34 PM

A similar sort of thing was the Canadian "Maple Leaf" badge awarded to the North Irish Horse for supporting the Canadian infantry in the "break out" battle at Monte Cassino in May 1944.
Old 02-03-14, 07:46 PM

Another one to lookout for, I'm not a yeomanry collector, where was the leaf worn on the uniform?
This part of the war is facinating, WLSC described Italy as "the soft under belly of Europe, Mark Clark was perhaps more accurate and said "what a tough old gut it was" I tend to agree with him, it was a really hard campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
A similar sort of thing was the Canadian "Maple Leaf" badge awarded to the North Irish Horse for supporting the Canadian infantry in the "break out" battle at Monte Cassino in May 1944.
Old 02-03-14, 08:07 PM

"The day after the battle, for their part, 25th Tank Brigade, of which the North Irish Horse was the senior unit, was awarded the Maple Leaf of Canada, a silver replica of which was worn on uniform sleeves."

http://www.northirishhorse.net/articles/15-3.html

http://northirishhorse.net/personal/honours.html
Old 02-03-14, 08:22 PM

BWEF

Thanks for sharing this, I'm sure there are a few of these little gems that are largely "under the radar" to the mainstream collectors.

One can but wonder how many of these have ended up in scratch boxes as "unknowns" ?

Brian
Old 02-03-14, 08:28 PM

Guys

This is of interest regards affiliation between the Guards and the Pretoria Regiment...Frank you will like this, see picture at bottom of the article: http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol131as.html

Brian
Old 02-03-14, 08:40 PM

Hello Brian,
That is a most interesting read, that little fellow, with his 6th SA Armoured slip on worn on his battledress too!
Regards Frank
Old 03-03-14, 05:32 AM

Brian,

thanks for sharing this link, very, very, interesting!

Iain

Quote:
Guys

This is of interest regards affiliation between the Guards and the Pretoria Regiment...Frank you will like this, see picture at bottom of the article: http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol131as.html

Brian
Old 03-03-14, 06:38 AM

Iain

Yes, I hoped it would be of interest to collectors and it answers your question in the other thread.

Hope you KZN stay was enjoyable?

Brian
Old 03-03-14, 06:49 AM

Hi Brian,

had a great time thanks, I wasn't impressed that the Jokers have changed all the street names in Durban though, even NMR Street!

Iain

Quote:
Iain

Yes, I hoped it would be of interest to collectors and it answers your question in the other thread.

Hope you KZN stay was enjoyable?

Brian
Old 04-03-14, 09:10 PM

I trust West Street still remains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi Brian,

had a great time thanks, I wasn't impressed that the Jokers have changed all the street names in Durban though, even NMR Street!

Iain