British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-02-16, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
Fantastic. Thanks GTB, I will keep that picture on file.

I wonder if you could please answer another thing for me. My father was on the staff of what was Corodino Detention Barracks in those days, and I was born within the walls of that establishment. Can you confirm please, is it the same place as is now called 'Malta Old Prison' .

Think of the kudos, when people are boasting of their high origins to be able to say "I was born in a Maltese prison". A real conversation stopper.

Regards,

John
John

Depends upon the context. If referring to naval/military prison rather than Civil Prison, then the Coradino Detention Barracks and the 'Malta Old Prison' should be one and the same.
Referring to being born in 'a Maltese Prison' I beg to differ. You would have been actually born at the Corradino Detention Barracks MARRIED QUARTERS, which is a different kettle of fish. I would say it is a moot point as IMO a birth entry should suffice with 'Corradino, Malta'.
You may like to have a look here:
http://maltaramc.com/regmltgar/milpolice.html

GTB
Old 15-02-16, 08:14 AM

Oh dear,that destroys what I had hoped would be a good conversation stopper, but what you say makes sense, and many thanks for your trouble. I see from a penciled note made at the time it was referred to as 'MDB' (Military Detention Barracks).

Best wishes,

John
Old 15-02-16, 10:21 PM

Cool Badge collecting

Before I visited Malta I had a conversation with the late Hugh King regarding my forthcoming holiday, He said "There were three large collections on the island and I bought two of them", prices were not discussed.

Rob
Old 16-02-16, 07:59 AM

I heard rumours of collections being sold overseas. A BIG one in 1969 or thereabouts. Had belonged to an elderly ex-pat former British Army colonel, bought at auction by a local antiques dealer and sold to a UK collector. Still have nightmares over what could have been.....

I believe Tony took his collection with him when he relocated.

GTB
Old 16-02-16, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post

I believe Tony took his collection with him when he relocated.

GTB
Have checked and been told that he no longer operates his restaurant & bar.
Old 16-02-16, 03:21 PM

Cool Collection buying

GTB,

This story about a collection sold to a UK collector sounds like one Hugh King could have bought, his spares list made me envious to say the least and I still have several lists somewhere.

Rob
Old 16-02-16, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
GTB,

This story about a collection sold to a UK collector sounds like one Hugh King could have bought, his spares list made me envious to say the least and I still have several lists somewhere.

Rob
I believe I made mention of this huge collection in an earlier thread. Consisted of 28 frames of mainly Victorian and included lancer cap plates, officers shoulder belt plates, shako plates, helmet plates, fusilier grenades, glengarry badges, Militia, Volunteers, infantry, cavalry, yeomanry, London Regt, Arms & Services, British Empire, Maltese h/plates & badges, buttons, collar badges, and more.
I was put off attending the auction and later heard it was a farce, but that's another story. Suffice to say that the dealer got it for a song and sold to a foreign buyer.
Had I but known, there was a good chance that I could have obtained the whole collection from its owner without any bother. Such are the vicissitudes of being a badge collector!

GTB
Old 16-02-16, 05:49 PM

Default Auctions

GTB

In the days you are talking about lots of auctions were a farce to say the least, I can remember going to one which was local and a lot of big time collectors were in attendance, it was "High Noon" for badge dealers and collectors. There were lots of duds mixed in with originals, all assembled by an expert IMO to sell.

I bought nothing, but you can bet your life some of the badges for sale are still doing the rounds some thirty years later . . !

Rob