British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-01-09, 10:54 PM

Default RM Band Devices

Just sorting out some of my RM band badges and just wondered if anyone could comment on the badges attached. The POW Feathers 1 badge is a recent acquisition and differs from the other POW feather badges I have which are all on stick pins. This one has a screw post and doesn't appear to be silvered in the same way. Is this the modern issue badge or possibly a copy. The POW Feathers 2 badge came with a 2 part RM badge I acquired a couple of years ago. The POW feathers are slightly smaller and slightly different design. They are silvered and have one central lug to the rear. Again, does this look genuine or is it part of another badge cut down and lugged to make it look like part of a RM Plymouth Div cap badge. Does anyone have a picture of a good Chatham Div cap badge especially the Rose device. What sort of fixings should it have to the rear of the rose and lastly does anyone know where I can obtain a genuine one. Many thanks in advance

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg POW Feathers 1.jpg (38.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg POW Feathers 2.jpg (30.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 25-01-09, 07:27 AM

Hi - All of my 2/3 part band badges are made up from modern pieces which may or may not be genuine (helemts almost certainly restrikes but cap badges possibly from stores). I have noticed that there are three fixings on modern pieces - thread and ring nut like you show, what I'd term a long coat pin, a tie-tack type with the round butterfly clasp. It is the same in the 2 part RM officers badges. I suspect it may be a different fixing for beret, cap, helmet. I have only seen a lug on a split fixing with the Victorian RMLI glengarry badge I displayed in the forum. That has a single lug which aligns N-S (as does yours) to a third lug on the main badge. If that lugged one is different (older/better?) I'd suggest you might have picked up the top part of the split RMLI band badge.
Old 04-02-09, 12:31 PM

Default POW feathers

In my opinion they look like modern reproduction with the loop I have seen pins attached to the beret type badge and screwed posts for fixing to helmet plates.