British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Royal Canadian Navy

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-11-10, 05:48 PM

Default RCNVR Cap ribbons

Following on on the orignal thread started by John; "The First RCN Cap Ribbon"; I thjought I might show a couple of what I call - "rare birds" ---

The RCNVR {Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve} was officially sanctioned by Canadian Gov't Order in Council of 31 Jan 1923.
Originally the Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve, the prefix Royal was added shortly thereafter.

The same O in C abolished the wartime RNCVR. {Royal Naval Canadian Volunteer Reserve}

The cap ribbons for the RNCVR read RNCVR Atlantic, Pacific or Overseas with a crown between the lettering.

When the RCNVR was established the cap ribbons now read RCNVR with the City Division following (ie: RCNVR Toronto, Ottawa, Halifax, etc).

An example is shown below:

However not too long ago I was able to secure what I think is quite a "rare bird", and RCNVR (Crown) Atlantic ribbon, this being very similar to the old RNCVR (Crown) Atlantic ribbon.

I dont know the exact period of use for this ribbon, but I am guessing an early example just before the official RCNVR City ribbons became issue.

Both the ribbons are embroidered in gold wire & the stops/periods between the R.C.N.V.R. are squares.

Interesting..............

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCNVR Toronto ribb.jpg (35.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg RCNVR Atlantic ribb.jpg (36.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg RNCVR ribbon.jpg (37.1 KB, 70 views)
Old 20-11-10, 11:35 PM

I have seen a plain RNCVR ribbon with no other wording.

Phil
Old 19-03-15, 07:24 PM

Thumbs up R.C.N.V.R (Crown) Atlantic cap tally

I was very interested to read of the R.C.N.V.R (Crown) Atlantic cap tally that you reckon is quite a rarity, as I have one that I came upon many years ago in a WW1 Royal Navy officer's collection of about 40 others of the same era. HMS Erebus, Terror, King George V, Superb and many of the WW1 'S' class destroyers amongst them, so the era is definitely 'early doors'. I had not realised that the R.C.N.V.R. became the R.N.C.V.R. later on. Any idea of the value of my tally in very good, (full length) condition? I would be pleased to hear from anybody who knows. For my part I collect naval and military postcards, so this is a possible swap for some juicy cards? Kind regards to all ex and serving seafarers, (I was Fleet Air Arm myself, but we can't all be perfect)!
Old 20-03-15, 01:22 PM

Thanks Phil, This is the 'C' before the 'N' in the tally. I too have seen others with R.N.C.V.R. but this one must be earlier I guess.
Old 20-03-15, 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=clive turner;303281] I had not realised that the R.C.N.V.R. became the R.N.C.V.R. later on. QUOTE]

The RNCVR was abolished after the Great War ( see previous posts in this topic) & the RCNVR came into being in 1923.

Bryan
Old 09-09-15, 07:55 AM

Clive, your RCNVR (crown) Atlantic is fairly rare. During WW1 ratings wore the RNCVR, an order in council established the RCNVR in 1923. I don't have an RCNVR Atlantic but I did see one sell on ebay for just over $200 Cdn ( I knew I should have bid just a little bit more!). I have two of the RNCVR tallies, one tied and one never tied, not sure what they are worth as I've never tried to sell them, or seen them up for sale. Cheers.
Ian Knight
Old 09-09-15, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
Clive, your RCNVR (crown) Atlantic is fairly rare. During WW1 ratings wore the RNCVR, an order in council established the RCNVR in 1923. I don't have an RCNVR Atlantic but I did see one sell on ebay for just over $200 Cdn ( I knew I should have bid just a little bit more!). I have two of the RNCVR tallies, one tied and one never tied, not sure what they are worth as I've never tried to sell them, or seen them up for sale. Cheers.
Ian Knight
Hello Ian,

Appreciate if you might post photos of yr two RNCVR tallies. Yes these early RNCVR cap ribbons are very rare & seldom seen.

& Welcome to the Forum!

Bryan
Old 15-10-15, 06:56 PM

Bryan, here are a couple of photos. Sorry I haven't been on to this site in over a month. First photo is showing both a R.C.N.V.R. and the R.N.C.V.R.

(Since my last post a friend and fellow collector finally convinced me to trade him my other RNCVR tally that was tied - damn demon rum he was plying me with!!)

The second is some of the RCNVR unit tallies, all with the dot at the end.

Ian
2015-10-15 11.37.52.jpg

2015-10-15 11.39.59.jpg